West Coast
✟2,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Over the last two to three decades this term has been used to draw people into these churches because they don't want to be connected to a denomination convention for good reason, since really when you think about it there are no denominations in scripture, however that being said if a church hires a pastor out of seminary which is not found in scripture as well, the theology of that seminary becomes the denomination for the church that pastor heads up.

Basically everything that man was taught at his seminary, he will be beholden to as he instructs his congregation.

The important thing for each one of us is does the message we hear line up with God's Word? Also never put your trust in any man but in Christ our Savior and his spoken Word.

John 14:26 (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Basically everything that man was taught at his seminary, he will be beholden to as he instructs his congregation.
And if the pastor is NOT a seminarian?

The congregation I attended in high school had a pastor who was unable to read or write. But he had some kind of supernatural gifting to read the King James bible.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There are advantages (and downsides) to being an independent church. My sense is that many non-denominational are premillennial Baptists, even if they're not called such.

Upvote 0

REM

California Christian Conservative
May 24, 2017
West Coast
✟2,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And if the pastor is NOT a seminarian?

The congregation I attended in high school had a pastor who was unable to read or write. But he had some kind of supernatural gifting to read the King James bible.

Thank you for sharing that Dave and that is a great example of the Holy Spirit teaching us and revealing the Truth and meaning of Scripture to us. The Word of God has to be the blueprint of our foundation and the template to compare what we are being taught by others.

Unfortunately to many people are "blind followers" in these churches and denominations.

Upvote 0

REM

May 24, 2017
West Coast
✟2,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are advantages (and downsides) to being an independent church. My sense is that many non-denominational are premillennial Baptists, even if they're not called such.

I suppose what I am getting at is this:
John 6:63 (KJV)
63" It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

The truth of God's Word takes precedence over man made utterances and doctrine.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The first church I belonged to as a new believer had a pastor that was not a seminary graduate. It was probably the closest thing I've ever encountered to a NT type congregation. The purpose was to disciple and release for ministry. Everyone from that time is now scattered in different places and serving in some capacity with the gifts God gave them.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically everything that man was taught at his seminary, he will be beholden to as he instructs his congregation. .

Not necessarily. That's like saying a graduate from West Point can't learn to swim.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Some time ago I went through this huge episode on doctrine and doctrinal accuracy. Oh it went on for endless months. The more I got into it the more I could feel less presence of Christ and began to get a little anxious about it. I studied some more doctrine, started comparing denominational doctrines. I actually began to get more discouraged the more I read. Then a life changing event occurred. I awoke one morning and I had a big drawing sensation come over me just laying there in bed, and like a funnel from above this piece of information showered down on me. I heard no voice but the message was loud and clear and it was from Jesus Christ. "David, just focus on Me". So like Jesus, short and to the point and the event was over.. I haven't picked up a doctrine book since. And from that, you will often hear me say or see me write, it's all about Jesus.

Folks, don't get caught up in running down rabbit trails, what ever that trail is that you think it leads to.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The NT church had personalities or Leaders with certain qualities and freedoms...
Pauls churches were corinth thesolanica Ephesus and others

James was over the Jerusalem church......
Peter was over other churches in Turkey.......

When you visit these countries today they can tell you who the Apostle was that founded that Church
ex. Armenia founded by Peter
Ethiopia founded by Mark
India founded by Thomas

obviously they werent the only disciples sent to these countries but they were the main leaders

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose what I am getting at is this:
John 6:63 (KJV)
63" It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

The truth of God's Word takes precedence over man made utterances and doctrine.

We can discard a pastor's utterances and doctrine if they are in conflict with God's Word. If they are in harmony with God's Word, then we should trust them.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

REM

May 24, 2017
West Coast
✟2,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not necessarily. That's like saying a graduate from West Point can't learn to swim.

I never said seminary was a bad thing but all teachings have to fit the template of the Word of God. There are many truths in different denominations and many falsehoods as well.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In bible study the pastor use the NKJV. One member with strong opinions and strong experiences in his life uses the KJV. I've seen the KJV operative totally derail the study for 30 minutes over one word difference. We all get out cell phones and start searching Greek and Hebrew for translations. But by now the message is gone from the study and in fact the study time over. Now who was in charge of that derail ? What was the power behind that, in the name of accuracy I might add ?

Upvote 0

REM

May 24, 2017
West Coast
✟2,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some time ago I went through this huge episode on doctrine and doctrinal accuracy. Oh it went on for endless months. The more I got into it the more I could feel less presence of Christ and began to get a little anxious about it. I studied some more doctrine, started comparing denominational doctrines. I actually began to get more discouraged the more I read. Then a life changing event occurred. I awoke one morning and I had a big drawing sensation come over me just laying there in bed, and like a funnel from above this piece of information showered down on me. I heard no voice but the message was loud and clear and it was from Jesus Christ. "David, just focus on Me". So like Jesus, short and to the point and the event was over.. I haven't picked up a doctrine book since. And from that, you will often hear me say or see me write, it's all about Jesus.

Folks, don't get caught up in running down rabbit trails, what ever that trail is that you think it leads to.

Great point Dave so another words to these churches "fool me once".......shame on you, fool me twice....

Upvote 0

REM

May 24, 2017
West Coast
✟2,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In bible study the pastor use the NKJV. One member with strong opinions and strong experiences in his life uses the KJV. I've seen the KJV operative totally derail the study for 30 minutes over one word difference. We all get out cell phones and start searching Greek and Hebrew for translations. But by now the message is gone from the study and in fact the study time over. Now who was in charge of that derail ? What was the power behind that, in the name of accuracy I might add ?

Bible accuracy is a whole nother topic and an important one. The two you mentioned are my favorites.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My 40 yo daughter is a bible reading mamma, period. She won't go to what she calls " cookie cutter" church. She wants the word straight from the Word of God. She has been burned too many times, from some pastor who tells her her bible is junk because it isn't what he uses, to being preached down to etc. So she is burned out on church. The churches themselves did the ruining for her anyway. She is my daughter , I do have to admit that she can get stubborn and dig her heals in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to say that this is a shortcoming on the part of the pastor who, I assume, is the leader of the Bible study.

It's not unreasonable for the KJV guy to point out that the world's best known translation has the passage or verse meaning something else, but why the pastor would then allow everyone to launch into 30 minutes of googling or even debate concerning it I can't imagine.

The thing to do would seem to be to take account of or note of the KJV point...and move on. If others want to explore the issue in more detail, they can do it on their own time and report back during the next meeting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My 40 yo daughter is a bible reading mamma, period. She won't go to what she calls " cookie cutter" church. She wants the word straight from the Word of God. She has been burned too many times, from some pastor who tells her her bible is junk because it isn't what he uses, to being preached down to etc. So she is burned out on church. The churches themselves did the ruining for her anyway. She is my daughter , I do have to admit that she can get stubborn and dig her heals in.
Congregations and denominations come in all forms. So also non-denominational congregations. I am almost certain that if daughter were to shop around, she'd find a church that was not the same as the ones she's fed up with. That could take a little work and some time, but it sounds as though she's ready for it.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Bible accuracy is a whole nother topic and an important one. The two you mentioned are my favorites.
I think it's also important for a pastor to get his message out. I think knowing the inaccuracies within various bibles is on the owner, because non are perfect. They are all translations and in the Greek there may be three words for one English word, you can use only one in the text when writing the bible. And of course the wrong choice can change the meaning totally.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Congregations and denominations come in all forms. So also non-denominational congregations. I am almost certain that if daughter were to shop around, she'd find a church that was not the same as the ones she's fed up with. That could take a little work and some time, but it sounds as though she's ready for it.
Ya, she has told me not to bug her about it, so I'm giving her room.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree, Dave, on that matter of pastoral preparation. There are pastors who are very good even though they have no college or seminary training, However, a truly illiterate pastor wouldn't seem to be able to do the job properly.

Ya, she has told me not to bug her about it, so I'm giving her room.
You've made the same suggestion as I offered here, I take it. ;)

Upvote 0