Noah and the Flood. Fact or Fantasy?

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
What about the flood described in the Bible? Did it occur and when. Is there evidence today to confirm there was a world wide flood? Exactly what does Scripture teach about this flood? What are the difficulties scientists and sceptics have with the assertion of a world wide flood in Scripture.

Originally posted by Micaiah
What about the flood described in the Bible?

What about it?

Did it occur and when.

No.

Is there evidence today to confirm there was a world wide flood?

No.

Exactly what does Scripture teach about this flood?

That the whole earth was flooded for a year.

What are the difficulties scientists and sceptics have with the assertion of a world wide flood in Scripture.

The lack of evidence and the lack of any plausible mechanism.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Micaiah
What about the flood described in the Bible? Did it occur and when. Is there evidence today to confirm there was a world wide flood? Exactly what does Scripture teach about this flood? What are the difficulties scientists and sceptics have with the assertion of a world wide flood in Scripture.

The flood was not a "world wide" flood. If it had been then you would see the Hebrew word "Kol" in front of the word "earth". Meaning all the earth, or every land of the earth. It was a choice of the translators to use the word "earth" here. They could have just as easily used the word "land". It is translated: land 1543, earth 712, country 140, ground 98, world 4, way 3, common 1, field 1, nations 1.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Hebrew/heb.cgi?number=0776&version=kjv

At the time "earth" usually had a meaning of an area of land, a country or a wilderness.  So Moses did not actually say all the world, he would say all of the lands or all of the countries. It could be used to mean the ground, but usually "Adamah" was used to refer to the ground, becasue God formed Adam from the clay or the dust of the earth or of the ground. But usually "Adamah" only refers to the ground in that part of the world.

Genesis 4:14 Surely You have driven me out this day from the face of the ground [adamah]; I shall be hidden from Your face; I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth, and it will happen that anyone who finds me will kill me."

Cain was thrown out of the area of land that Adam was from. He was going to wonder through all the different lands of the earth. To be a vagabond of the earth, means to go from land to land or country to country. Again vagabond qualifies the word "earth" just like the world "all" means all the different lands or counties.

At the tower of Babel, they were scattered to "all" the earth, and the languages of "all" the lands were confounded in a way to establish boarders to the different countries.

Evenually, this will lead to the downfall of mankind who are living apart from God. The fight between the Jews and the PLO over a little peice of land will lead to world war 3. The attack on the twin towers was against the USA because our government took the side of the Jews rather than to remain neutral or to take the side of the PLO in this battle over a tiny strip of land.

Even the King of Jordan who is American educated and the best friend American has of the Muslim countries has warned us about this. His advise is for us not to take the side of the Jews over the PLO's, because the Muslim world sides with the Palestinion people.

This is a type of the battle between spirit and flesh, a battle we all have to fight. So we overcome the flesh to live in the spirit.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by sulphur
I believe this thread has gone aroundat least three times since I joined.I am sure you will find the answers in past postings

There is always something new to say about a subject, for people who are willing to search their Bible and dig for new understanding. Our knowledge and understanding is always on the increase.

Even if we talked about a subject before, there is always something new to say and discover about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Originally posted by JohnR7
The flood was not a "world wide" flood. If it had been then you would see the Hebrew word "Kol" in front of the word "earth". Meaning all the earth, or every land of the earth. It was a choice of the translators to use the word "earth" here. They could have just as easily used the word "land". It is translated: land 1543, earth 712, country 140, ground 98, world 4, way 3, common 1, field 1, nations 1.  

If not World-Wide then why was Noah told to build an Ark for the saving of himself and his family.  He could have simply moved to a different location.  After all he had decades of warning to do so giving him plenty of time to travel great distance. And there would have been no need to gather animals for their preservation, they would have survived somewhere else. 

Upvote 0
John, We need to go round in circles hear;) I think your playing with words because when I read the bible it tells a pretty simple and straight forward “Myth”. How can you see any different???

I know some Christians and I recon they are right on the ball but I gotta say mate, your blowing me away with your stuff;)

I wonder what the Hebrew for “all flesh” means. Read the bible, how come we don’t see the same thing hear??

I am confused, you have made out that every single word of genesis is infallible but then you seem to totally contradict it on the simplest parts???

This is what you said???

: The flood was not a "world wide" flood. If it had been then you would see the Hebrew word "Kola" in front of the word "earth". Meaning all the earth, or every land of the earth.

But genesis says;

quote:
5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from “the face of the earth;” both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repented me that I have made them.

12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.

13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

I don’t understand Mate; did I miss something because this tells me that god repented of making man not just a few men around the Mesopotamian??
He also said he would put an end to” all flesh”. Whats that mean in Hebrew;)

How do you figure that only a small area was flooded?? You appear to have gone from an infallible bible stand to a flexible anything goes stand hear???

Whats the story mate:scratch:

Upvote 0

ocean

Banned (just kidding)
Sep 25, 2002
van city
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
I have a scientific question for all flood-believers:

How could the animals survive on the ark? There would not have been enough space or food, especially for the large carnivorous animals, who need to kill every 2 or 3 days in order to eat?

and

HOw did the animals reproduce after they got off the ark? 2 of each "kind" of animal is an extremely small gene pool and not enough to sustain a healthy population.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by LightBearer
If not World-Wide then why was Noah told to build an Ark for the saving of himself and his family.  He could have simply moved to a different location.  

So much for shaddows and types in the Bible.

Whatever, so it was a world wide flood and all mankind was destroyed. I just wonder how did he get those kangoroo's to hop over to the ark and them hop back to Australia again after the flood?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by ocean
I have a scientific question for all flood-believers:

How could the animals survive on the ark? There would not have been enough space or food, especially for the large carnivorous animals, who need to kill every 2 or 3 days in order to eat?

How did Jesus feed 5000 people with 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread with 5 baskets of remnant's left over? God fed them though the miracle of supply. You should try the supply of God sometimes, it is simply amazing how God provides for us.

HOw did the animals reproduce after they got off the ark? 2 of each "kind" of animal is an extremely small gene pool and not enough to sustain a healthy population.

Even science has an answer for this one. Mankind had a common ancestor, and so did the animals.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Curiosity Unleashed
I wonder what the Hebrew for “all flesh” means. Read the bible, how come we don’t see the same thing hear?? 

Ok, so it was a world wide flood, even though there is no evidence of that at all. But you still need to answer the kangroo question.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by ocean
The flood is definitely a myth, which is based on an even older myth and a local flood that actually occured. Scientifically, a world-wide flood is impossible.

You just contradicted yourself. The flood is NOT a myth. The question is: Was it a world wide flood or a local flood. By local I mean a  flood that covered all of the Ancient World: Iran, Turkey and so forth.

Upvote 0