in a house :)
✟1,655.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Baptism in the Spirit makes the Catholic Charismatic Renewal a formidable means willed by God to revitalize Christian life, says the preacher of the Papal Household.
Capuchin Father Raniero Cantalamessa made that point Thursday as a gathering of more than 1,000 delegates of Catholic Charismatic Renewal from 73 countries drew to a close.

The delegates had gathered for a spiritual retreat and to reflect on holiness in light of John Paul II's apostolic letter "Novo Millennio Ineunte." Father Cantalamessa was the retreat master.

Taking into account Protestant, evangelical and Pentecostal denominations, and some members of the Orthodox Church, it is estimated that 600 million Christians have had the charismatic experience.

Given his knowledge of the "charismatic" experience, ZENIT interviewed Father Cantalamessa just before the conclusion of the meeting.

Q: There are those in the Church who think that "baptism in the Spirit" is an invention of the charismatics, and that a name has been given to an experience that is not "catalogued" in the Church. Could you explain, from your own experience, what baptism in the Spirit is?

Father Cantalamessa: Baptism in the Spirit is not a human invention; it is a divine invention. It is a renewal of baptism and of the whole of Christian life, of all the sacraments.

For me, it was also a renewal of my religious profession, of my confirmation, and of my priestly ordination. The whole spiritual organism is revived as when wind blows on a flame. Why has the Lord decided to act at this time in such a strong way? We don't know. It is the grace of a new Pentecost.

It is not about Charismatic Renewal inventing baptism in the Spirit. In fact, many have received baptism in the Spirit without knowing anything about Charismatic Renewal. It is a grace; it depends on the Holy Spirit. It is a coming of the Holy Spirit which is manifested in repentance of sins, in seeing life in a new way, which reveals Jesus as the living Lord -- not as a personage of the past -- and the Bible becomes a living word. The fact is, this cannot be explained.

There is a revelation with baptism, because the Lord says that whoever believes will be baptized and saved. We received baptism as children and the Church pronounced our act of faith, but the time comes when we must ratify what happened at baptism. This is an occasion to do so, not as a personal effort, but under the action of the Holy Spirit.

One cannot say that hundreds of millions of people are in error. In his book on the Holy Spirit, Yves Congar, that great theologian who did not belong to Charismatic Renewal, said that, in fact, this experience has changed profoundly the lives of many Christians. And it is a fact. It has changed them and initiated paths of holiness.
P. Raniero Cantalamessa, ofmcap - Prediche e Conferenze

xfisherman

Jan 31, 2011
✟7,925.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
During the Reformation,the Roman Catholic religion set up the counter reformation,and now Pentecostalism,they want to follow it because many are turning to Pentecostalism and its getting more and more popular. A Church that don't have the fullness of truth always follow or imitate others instead of leading.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
xfisherman said:
During the Reformation,the Roman Catholic religion set up the counter reformation,and now Pentecostalism,they want to follow it because many are turning to Pentecostalism and its getting more and more popular. A Church that don't have the fullness of truth always follow or imitate others instead of leading.

The Roman Catholic.Church has the richest tradition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Guardian Angel said:
I believe that there is going to be again another great outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon everyone. The Lord will renew the face of the earth. This I believe will coincide with the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary when she shall crush the head of Satan. There will then be granted a period of peace upon the earth.

Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
xfisherman said:
No matter what you say,my statement still stands.

Be that as it may, I am merely pointing out to you that, if you research it, it is the Catholic Church that has the richest spiritual tradition--from St Francis of Assisi to St John of the Cross to Thomas Merton. As to "imitation", the Charisma is not under the ownership of any denomination. The Spirit moves wherever so it wills.

Peace

Upvote 0

truthHurts77

Oct 19, 2011
✟16,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
all this talk about being renewed "in the Spirt"

what about being renewed in God's WORD

soemthing worse than the greeting in the middle of the Mass is this:

people cannot read along at daily Mass in most parishes i have been in

some people buy books so they can read the daily readings.. i am thnakful they are available.. and since the readings do not change ... We have Reading A, B and C and once we go through that 3 yr cycle, they repeat...

so anyhow... once you go through ABC you can save your book and go through the same readings the next 3 yrs so this book (or books) is a one time expense..

but i have been Catholic all my life (devoutly so 4 the last severl yrs) and i just now found out about these books.

and what about those who can't afford them? true, most probably can... but my point is that

how about being baptized in the WORD???

the Word brings the Spirit...

Reactions: RuthD
Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does your post have to do with the OP? You can't be baptized in the Bible and Catholics don't go for Bible alone. The best way to study the Bible is to do it side by side with the Catechism. Though maybe your not talking about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

truthHurts77

Oct 19, 2011
✟16,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
i really hate it that at daily Mass we cannot read along... at least at MOST Churches you can't

It was when i started heearing the Word daily that i began to understand God better and it is only in u/standing Him that we can be close to Him..

its just like a marriage.

if the husband never speaks to his wife and tells her what is on his mind (and most husbands seem to be this way... but uh... what do i know... never been married...) In any case... not good when 2 in a relationship do not know one anohter

and when Jesus rejected people, he said "Depart from Me, i never knew you" (not sure where that is found in the Word but it is there )

notice he does not say You never knew ME

but I never knew YOU

interesting...

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,595.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"During the Reformation,the Roman Catholic religion set up the counter reformation,and now Pentecostalism,"

You may want to take a look at Notre Dame in 1966 for the start of the Charismatic outpouring in the U.S. Catholic Church in prayer meetings that were going on at the time.

The "Charismatic outpouring" wasn't "Based on" Pentecostalism, and never had much to do with it. By the same token, the Pentecostals REJECTED the Charismatics (Catholic and otherwise) because of the charismatic dismissal of "Clothesline Holiness" in the Pentecostal genres.

"A Church that don't have the fullness of truth always follow or imitate others instead of leading."

And that, of course would be ALL denominational groups INCLUDING Orthodox and Catholic Genres - all of whom THINK they posses the "Fullness of truth" according to their Paradigms, and NONE OF WHOM actually do.

But just because the Charismatic Catholics "Seem" to be doing the same things as the Pentecostals, that doesn't mean that they're "Imitating" them. The Charismatic Outpouring among the denominations was a sovereign move of God that affected the Church throughout the World in the late '60s and '70s.

Upvote 0