No cause to celebrate in the Iraq elections.

E

EvilDr.Frog

jamesrwright3 said:
Well then, those that would use such methods have to be deal with severely. There is really no excuse for such behavior in a democratic society where they have the power to express their interests in a peaceful and constructive manner. The alternative is to let tyranny be the order of the day, and that is wholly unacceptable. The Sunnis have to learn to play by the rules, and I am guessing that they start to do so because Iraq is not going back to the way it was before.
That expresses my fears. I find it highly unlikely that the Sunnis will learn to play by the rules of the elected Shiites. I find it highly unlikey that the Sunnis will even acknowledge those rules.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

EvilDr.Frog said:
That expresses my fears. I find it highly unlikely that the Sunnis will learn to play by the rules of the elected Shiites. I find it highly unlikey that the Sunnis will even acknowledge those rules.

They really aren't going to have a choice. They will have to learn to play by the rules or else be left out of the game. It may be difficult for them to swallow at first, but they will eventually learn that it will be in their best interest to become part of the process.

I was watching a program on MSNBC this evening. It indicated that although there were divisions between ethnic groups prior to Saddam coming to power, it didn't create cleavages in society. Saddam exploited those differences for his own political purposes. Maybe now that he is out of there, things may revert back to the way they were before with peaceful coexistence between the groups.

Upvote 0
E

EvilDr.Frog

jamesrwright3 said:
They really aren't going to have a choice. They will have to learn to play by the rules or else be left out of the game. It may be difficult for them to swallow at first, but they will eventually learn that it will be in their best interest to become part of the process.

I was watching a program on MSNBC this evening. It indicated that although there were divisions between ethnic groups prior to Saddam coming to power, it didn't create cleavages in society. Saddam exploited those differences for his own political purposes. Maybe now that he is out of there, things may revert back to the way they were before with peaceful coexistence between the groups.
To tell you the truth, I would love to believe that. The problem is that I ain't seeing signs of it about to happen. I see signs of it going straight to Hell. The Sunnis are not going to take their loss of power sitting down. They are not going to play by the rules of a governmental system that they never acknowledged as legitimate. Suppose the Shiites draft a constitution that doesn't involve the separation of religion and state. That is a conceivable possibility, and that would nail the coffin shut.

Upvote 0
B

brinley45cal

EvilDr.Frog said:
Of course, there are divisions in every democracy. But division can make a big difference when it manifests as a mass boycott and protest is done with AK-47s and bombs.
It would be that way know matter how the election went.The way i see it.the people that didnt vote dont have the right to complain.Just like here dems will vote for dems and rep will vote rep,at least they got to vote.theres going to be fighting over there know matter what.Thats islam

Upvote 0
E

EvilDr.Frog

brinley45cal said:
It would be that way know matter how the election went.The way i see it.the people that didnt vote dont have the right to complain.Just like here dems will vote for dems and rep will vote rep,at least they got to vote.theres going to be fighting over there know matter what.Thats islam
I can't really disagree. But I warn you to be cautious of over-comparing the elections in the United States with the elections in Iraq. In our great country, Democrats don't throw live grenades in cars with Bush/Cheney stickers. They don't walk into bus stations with TNT strapped to their chests. They don't lead effective mass boycotts. Nor do they threaten eligible voters with sniper rifles.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

EvilDr.Frog said:
To tell you the truth, I would love to believe that. The problem is that I ain't seeing signs of it about to happen. I see signs of it going straight to Hell. The Sunnis are not going to take their loss of power sitting down. They are not going to play by the rules of a governmental system that they never acknowledged as legitimate. Suppose the Shiites draft a constitution that doesn't involve the separation of religion and state. That is a conceivable possibility, and that would nail the coffin shut.

The Sunni are never going to regain power regardless of which methods they use. The West will not let the democratically elected government of Iraq collapse. It's either learn to partipate or totally be out of the loop.I think they will find it in their best interest to learn to partipcate in the political process.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

EvilDr.Frog said:
I can't really disagree. But I warn you to be cautious of over-comparing the elections in the United States with the elections in Iraq. In our great country, Democrats don't throw live grenades in cars with Bush/Cheney stickers. They don't walk into bus stations with TNT strapped to their chests. They don't lead effective mass boycotts. Nor do they threaten eligible voters with sniper rifles.

You can't make such a comparision for one simple reason.

This violence is more than likely the brainchild of Zaraqawi and his group of foreign jihadists. There is no indication that any of this violence is the result of sectarian conflicts within Iraq. The jihadists have alot to lose if there is a vibrant democracy within Iraq as it may spread to the surrounding countries.

Reactions: alaurie
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think it is cause to celebrate. But I think you are correct in saying that this is far from over, the Sunni's will likely fight back. And we have seen that they can fight back pretty effectively. If we can undermine popular support for them in the civilians, it may cut them off considerably from resources, as it already seems to be doing. Hopefully this will work out and we can remember this is one of our lesser military blunders in history, and one that produced something positive in the end.

Upvote 0

angelnstix

Believer
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
✟1,519.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have to think positive and keep praying. How anyone can think negative after all our troops have been through over there, I just don't understand. The Iraqis have came a LONG way just being able to have a day to vote, and our troops helped get them there. I have a loved one that has spent a lot of time in Iraq and he sees this as a positive big step and I believe things will get better. But that's my faith in God that keeps me positive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoot

Omnis Obstat
Sep 7, 2003
State Highway One
Visit site
✟28,710.00
Faith
Buddhist
Sistani's crew have said that they want to share power with the Sunnis, because in the long run, they fear a civil war.

Does anyone know what kind of political system they have? I mean, if it's something more representative, like MMP, the Sunnis will still get a say in government. But if it's something less representative, like FPP or the US system, you're asking for trouble from word go.

Upvote 0

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The 'National Assembly' (?) is seated according to percentage of votes received. Shiites overwhelmingly received the majority vote. The N-A will then draw up a constitution... the Iraqi people will vote to ratify it... and then another election will be held for President and PM IIRC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

brinley45cal

EvilDr.Frog said:
Well thats certainly true we dont throw grenades and things like that,i guess the point i was trying to make is its going to be this group over here that vote against that group over there.and which ever group wins the other is going to go try to go shoot up the other.Its just a cycle over there.

Upvote 0

lovemysoldier

Oct 24, 2004
✟8,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Iraqi people aren't violent. A small handful of people are out there killing and terrorizing the Iraqi people and they are mostly foreigners! It is unfair to classify the victims with the criminals. The Iraqi people voted and the amount of people that braved the violence was impressive. These people stood up and fought to make their country safe and to ensure that freedom will be guarenteed for all citizens. Their bravery should not be shrugged off as insignificant. The Iraqi people WON the battle against terror. This victory doesn't mean that the insurgents won't fight to the death but shows that terror is no longer in control.

I am happy that my husband and his unit in Iraq had nothing to do this weekend. I am happy that the elections were peaceful and a success. I am celebrating my butt off and will be sure not to invite you to my party.

Reactions: alaurie
Upvote 0