Serving4Christ

Humble Servant
Jan 28, 2003
Colorado Springs
Visit site
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Recently I purchased the NIV on Audio CD's.  I listen on the way to work, the store, at bedtime, at work...I find it absolutely HARD to stop listening to the Old or New Testament.  I feel like it has magnified my prayer life!  Improved my walk with God, and stretched my imagination.  How you may ask?

When I read The Word, I tend to do just that...read The Word.  I usually skip the emphasis, get confused, or second guess the meaning.  I tire easily while reading and then get frustrated with myself because I feel like I'm not giving it my all. 

I feel like I'm learning so much more by listening than reading. 

Keep in mind, I have enough reading right now with my 4 classes I'm taking along with my two jobs.  (Theology, Apologetics, Psychology in Childhood, and Humanities).

What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think God prefers Text over Audio?  Am I in violation of any covenant?  Do you think I'm cheating myself?

Your Thoughts,

Dan   

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I used to have a tape that had the first four chapters of the Gospel of John, and I loved listening to it, although I found I didn't really absorb much of it. I'm a visual learner so I understand and remember more if I read it than if I hear it. Plus, I tend to not be very attentive to sounds when I am in the car, I just sort of tune them out while my brain thinks about other things. :D

You must be a aural learner, you understand and remember what you hear.

I don't think God has a preference about how people study his word, and I'm sure it's okay to hear it read rather than read it yourself, since I think it's in Ezra or Nehemiah, the people were gathered all together and the scriptures were read aloud to them. All the people heard and repented and I'm sure God considered this good.

Any time you are studying the word is good. You're not cheating yourself in anyway by listening rather than reading, and in fact, you are making good use of "downtime" in the car, time that would be wasted otherwise. I think it's an example of a good steward making an excellent investment of the Lord's resource, time.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One's the Word of God spoken, one's the Word of God written... either way it's the Word of God right? :D

You're taking psychology in childhood... have you been taught about Bloom's Taxonomy? Different people learn better in different ways according to those findings right? Well... if you learn the Word of God better by listening to it than reading it, then do that! Personally, I love watching the Jesus Videos because I can quote movies well.... Now I can almost quote Matthew chapters 9-14 :D I'd say that I've been blessed by seeing it in the video. I also love sermons, but that is a different story :D lol

Also remember that initially not everyone could read and many times the Word had to be read to people who couldn't read. Now Bibles are a luxury available to anyone witht the money to buy one, that can read of course. Even in some verses, people are encouraged to read the Bible publically. It can't be bad then...

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
When I am driving I always enjoy listening to the Bible on tape. Especially on long trips. You can cover a lot of the Word in three hours by just listening to someone read to you. This is where I really ejoy the KJV. Alexander Scourby is awesome reading this version.

One of my personal ministries of long ago was to give this set along woith a player to people in the intensive care units of Hospitals and to those who had a loved one in a coma. It is thought that such people can hear and are aware of what is being said around them, and what more positive thing can they hear!

Regretably this gets very expensive and I am no longer able to do this, as before. But it is an awesome project for Sunday School classes and such who can pool their time and resources.

Upvote 0