• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Night Time Panic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hope this is not a thread already.

I was wondering if anyone else gets panic attacks or anxiety at night when in bed. I get terrible panic attacks when I'm trying to go to sleep. My mind never shuts off, so when My body is going to sleep I swear my mind is still going. So that obviously scares me, and I start to panic because its such a strange sensation.
So now I"m waking up tired from no sleep..which is already a bad combination :(
and when I try praying at night, its hard because I'm so exhausted I can't even focus on my words. Then that starts the panic. Its such a vicious circle...

• Friendly
Reactions: faythymns

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
alot of peepers get anxiety at night. i knew someone who stessed alot; but didn't get release from it by bedtime; so he was restless at night. if you change your scrdule so the last hour and a half is putting stresses on a shelf, or in the trashbin; possibly this will help? it takes practicing to change bed time habits. :hug: you could ask your doctor too.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Evenings and bedtime are hard for me, too. Try not to stay up late, because being over-tired makes you emotional and that can trigger anxiety. Don't eat or drink things with caffeine before bed. Don't watch upsetting or rowdy TV shows or listen to loud or fast music. Try listening to relaxation music, reading a book, taking a long bath, etc.

Upvote 0

zerodrone

Nov 13, 2006
interzone
✟15,181.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I've found the complete opposite to be true... the more sleep-deprived/tired I am, the less anxiety I have. In fact, if I stay up for more than 16-20 hours it is 99% guaranteed that I will not feel panicky whatsoever.

Just goes to show how many different forms this epidemic takes, and how every single person needs to seek individual treatment... there isn't one magical cure for everyone.

Upvote 0

Barnabas71

Veteran
Nov 4, 2006
✟11,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to have that and can remember it was dreadful. This time last year I was also waking up each morning at about 4 or 5 am and could not get back to sleep. I was totally drained during the day, and felt to tired to do anything. For the last year I have been employing a multi-pronged approach to beat this anxiety once and for all. Though I was, and am being prayed for, I also sought advice from the doctor. He prescribed Fluoxetine which to some extent has eased things, but the biggest benefit has certainly been my ability to sleep normally the whole night through. I also do not have the problem getting off to sleep as I used to. The same as you, I would feel that awful spike of fear just as I was falling off to sleep then wake up with a start. My sister is now also taking Fluoxetine and she had derived an even bigger benefit than myself. She had depression as well and now never suffers with it. It has also helped her sleeping.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nights are often the worst. That's when you feel most alone, most cut-off from the rest of the world. I know, for me, thoughts of having some tragedy happen at night, having to call 911 and be rushed to the hospital at 2am, what would I do with my son, etc ... all combine to make nights the scariest times. It doesn't help that I have allergies and asthma, and nights are the hardest for breathing.

I try to think about the next morning...imagine the sun coming up...being busy the next day...sometimes that helps.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Gatorgal

Senior Veteran
Jan 2, 2007
Arkansas
✟19,458.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also have evening and night anxiety attacks. I really think mine is from being alone so much. Both my boys are grown and my husband works nights. I use to like being by myself and still do, just don't understand why anxiety has to be a part of my life. I hate it!!!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Rbob

Mar 1, 2008
Buffalo NY
✟7,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Karen, when you say wierd feelings, what are yours? My wierd ones are the ones that bother me most, thinking it must be something other than just the anxiety/panic stuff. Yet the more I read from others, wierd things seem common, and knowing that is helping me to not panic or start worring, at least I have been doing better the last few days. (Another thing that bothers me, is why am i the only man on here? I don't care realy, but that seems wierd to!) I know I have posted responces on other threads here and hate to repat myself, which I probably have a few times. But my wierd or concerning things now are my sudden weakness in facial muscles, vission blurring, fingers get locked sometimes when typing, can't swallow for a short period, mental fog comes and goes, weakness in my forearms comes and goes, mere thoughts if I dwell on them can change my mood in an instant if I dont fight them off, sleep is better this week, I started trazadone and take 1/2 Xanex at night (.025-small dose) this puts me out good till about 3:30 or 4 am, then my normal "call", then it is a toss, will my mind start racing, feeling like near panic or anxiety attack, or will the tiredness overcome, and my will to force it out win? Sunday I was depressed and hopless, Monday just felt lousy, Tue and today, wired all day, but not dpressed. Is this wierd enough? I am probably missing a few to!
Well God bless you, and all my my new friends on here. I like to check each day, it helps me to read others posts and reminds me to pray for all of you!

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've found the complete opposite to be true... the more sleep-deprived/tired I am, the less anxiety I have. In fact, if I stay up for more than 16-20 hours it is 99% guaranteed that I will not feel panicky whatsoever.

Just goes to show how many different forms this epidemic takes, and how every single person needs to seek individual treatment... there isn't one magical cure for everyone.
It might be that your body is just too darn pooped to work itself into a panic??

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope this is not a thread already.

I was wondering if anyone else gets panic attacks or anxiety at night when in bed. I get terrible panic attacks when I'm trying to go to sleep. My mind never shuts off, so when My body is going to sleep I swear my mind is still going. So that obviously scares me, and I start to panic because its such a strange sensation.
So now I"m waking up tired from no sleep..which is already a bad combination :(
and when I try praying at night, its hard because I'm so exhausted I can't even focus on my words. Then that starts the panic. Its such a vicious circle...
*raises hand* Me! I've been struggling with them for almost a month now. I actually have had to start watching "The Sound of Music" as I fall asleep because that's the only thing that relaxes me (and distracts my mind) enough for me to be able to get some sort of a semblance of sleep at night. Maybe you could try to find an especially comforting movie and watch it at night, either before you go to sleep or while you're actually falling asleep? It's a thought.

Upvote 0

KTKat

Jan 21, 2008
Littleton
✟15,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
haha I've actually been wanting a TV in my room for that reason. I seem to think If I'm watching Tv while going to sleep it will help. Just keep my mind off of those crazy thoughts ya know. Last night was really bad. All I could think about was how death. The thought of death always gets me into a panic. It just freaks me out for some reason. So I Probably only got about 4hrs of sleep last night. I feel like I'm in a big fog today. I don't know why I do that. I'll be fine, and then this thought pops into my head that says "i'm going to die oneday" then it all goes downhill. I don't know what to do. I just can't seem to accept it. The death, or the panic

Upvote 0

brothersean

May 31, 2007
Illinois
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
haha I've actually been wanting a TV in my room for that reason. I seem to think If I'm watching Tv while going to sleep it will help. Just keep my mind off of those crazy thoughts ya know. Last night was really bad. All I could think about was how death. The thought of death always gets me into a panic. It just freaks me out for some reason. So I Probably only got about 4hrs of sleep last night. I feel like I'm in a big fog today. I don't know why I do that. I'll be fine, and then this thought pops into my head that says "i'm going to die oneday" then it all goes downhill. I don't know what to do. I just can't seem to accept it. The death, or the panic
Death can be a very scary thought. But alas, death is a part of life. It cannot be avoided, it cannot be changed, we all, must someday die. The key to overcoming this specific fear, is by accepting the fact that we all must someday die and be no more. The more you come to accept that death happens, to everyone, it is a part of life that is unavoidable, the more you understand that this is the ultimate end, the easier it will be for you to come to terms with this fear. Mentally, you have to keep reminding yourself that it cannot be changed. The mind has a tendency to carry on things that are incomplete in our opinions and thoughts, and a tendency to release that which is completed. So, if your thought patterns become more along the lines of "Death happens, it happens, cannot be changed, and I must accept this." instead of "I must fear and run and flee from death." You will be much much much less afraid.

Upvote 0

brothersean

May 31, 2007
Illinois
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel so alone at night and I feel sometimes like I am going to lose my mind and have to call 911 in the wee hours of the morning or night.

I hate all this panic!! I was up agian last night with "weird" feelings and dizziness.
You will not lose your mind, the panic attack will do no physical harm in and of itself. Actually, did you know that worrying you will enter into a form of insanity or that some physical harm will come about the panic attacks, only make them worse? It will be easier to face and conquer, when you understand that no harm can come to you from the panic attacks themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revivedinChrist

Call me Miel
Jul 4, 2003
Mechanicsburg, PA
Visit site
✟8,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do have nighttime panic about 2 to 3 times per week. So when that happens, I just turn the lights and a radio on the entire night. It started when we moved to a new place last 2003. The only time that I get a really good sleep is from morning till 12 noon when I know everybody's up and about. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.