• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Newly DIagnosed

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't despair. I've had Type II diabetes for several years. No hint of limb problems, eye problems, or death. It's treatable and not a death sentence. Find yourself a good endocrinologist and you'll be able to live a full life.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought

BloodBought
Sep 27, 2018
South
✟25,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take Berberine - I believe it is medically proven to help. Do your own research but it’s with a try. Btw my dad died at 86 and he had diabetes since I can remember. I believe you just have to watch what you eat. Make Jesus Lord if you haven’t, God is good - He didn’t cause sickness - the devil is the author of death, God is the author of life.

Reactions: ccallagh
Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. And am only 40 so life is over. Guess I won't live to see pension. My mind in really bad place now. Guess God punishing me. Don't know what to do now.
Hi,
I do believe this dietary plan is effective for type 2 diabetes and is worth trying.

Dr. McDougall's Health & Medical Center

Thank you, CC.
Yep. Whole food plant-based diet can potentially restore your beta cell functionality and reverse type 2 diabetes. Start eating whole plant foods and nothing but whole plant foods now while you still have time. It's your best, and really only, chance.
IT'S. THE. FOOD.

• Agree
Reactions: ccallagh
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Just being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. And am only 40 so life is over. Guess I won't live to see pension. My mind in really bad place now. Guess God punishing me. Don't know what to do now.

I was diagnosed with the same thing at the end of April. I'm also in my 40's.

I combated mine with diet changes and exercise and reduced my A1c from 7.9 to 5.4 in three months. All the side effects are gone as well. No more tingling and numbness or any other neuropathic issues.

It can be beaten.

Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
ive seen the effects on people around me who have it. lost limbs, failed kidneys, death within a few years.

That's because the people who had it did not manage it well. It is possible to live a full life with diabetes if you properly manage it. That includes regular exercise, eating healthy, and monitoring your sugars. I've known several people over my life with the condition and none of them have lost limbs, kidney failure, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'm sorry. :(

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes earlier this year. I've had serious health issues since chickenpox-induced sepsis as an infant severely damaged my body and caused my immune system to not develop properly, so this is the newest challenge after a literal lifetime of them. I also have adrenal and thyroid diseases. I have no memory of ever being without a medical issue that could take my life. I've also struggled at times to understand why I was burdened with heavy health problems. I still have been able to lead a happy, productive, and fulfilling life, and I anticipate being able to do so for decades to come. I'm close to half your age. There have been revolutionary devices to help with managing diabetes that have come onto the market this year. Researchers have repurposed a tuberculosis vaccine to treat diabetes (currently just type 1) and been ecstatic by the results. There's a bright ray of hope for curing diabetes in our lifetime.

God often reveals plans for our lives more like little puzzle pieces here and there rather than showing us the big picture first. I've pieced together why I have my health issues, and it's definitely not to punish me. There is a purpose. I won't go into detail here since this is your thread, but I do encourage you to keep your faith that your diabetes fits into God's plans for your life somehow. Keep your eyes and your heart open and be patient for learning how. Jeremiah 29:11

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Type II is entirely reversible and curable. While some doctors are still stuck in decades-old and debunked paradigms of thinking that it is a progressive disease and that there is no hope, many doctors understand the real science behind Type II and understand that it is not progressive and can easily be reversed (of course, each person is different and certain mitigating circumstances could make that more difficult, but most people in most circumstances can reverse it).

Type II Diabetes is not a blood sugar disease, although high blood sugar is a symptom, and a serious symptom. Type II is insulin resistance. We become insulin resistant because we eat foods that elicit a high insulin response (sugars and carbs, as well as protein to a lesser degree), and we eat large quantities of those foods at frequent intervals. When we do that, our insulin stays high in order to manage our blood sugar. However, when our insulin stays high like that, our cells become less sensitive to it and they require higher levels of insulin to have the same effect. As that keeps happening, our bodies are forced to produce insanely high levels of insulin in order to keep our blood sugar at manageable levels. Eventually, however, our cells become so resistant to insulin that we simply can't produce enough to keep up, and our blood sugar levels remain very high as our insulin very slowly manages the sugar.

Our sense of smell works much the same way and serves as a good analogy. When we are first introduced to a new smell, we can smell it very strongly. Over time, we lose the sensitivity to that smell and forget that it is there. At that point, we can smell it again one of two ways: we can increase the smell to a higher level, which will result in us smelling the higher level of scent the same way we smelled it initially at the lower levels; or we can get out of the smell and get used to other smells, and then re-introduce the scent at the original level and smell it just as strongly as we smelled it the first time.

Insulin resistance is much the same. Our cells can respond to insulin one of two ways: we can keep insulin in our blood at high levels all the time, and be forced to crank out more insulin, and then be forced to crank out more insulin, and then be forced to crank out more insulin, etc; or we can keep the insulin out of our blood as much as reasonably possible so that our cells respond to low levels of insulin the same way every time.

Once we become insulin resistant, we regain that original sensitivity (or at least come a lot closer to our original sensitivity) by keeping insulin out of our blood. We do that by intentionally keeping sugar out of our blood. We can keep sugar out of our blood either by eating foods that are very low in carbohydrates (or that have no carbohydrates; carbohydrates are just sugars that are either individual sugar molecules or chains of sugar molecules which break down into individual sugar molecules) or by abstaining from food altogether for some period of time. That period of time might be 12 hours, 16 hours, 24, 48, 72 or some other number of hours. By having intervals of time when we don't consume anything other than water (this is called "intermittent fasting"), we give our cells a chance to experience low levels of insulin again, allowing them to become a little more sensitive to it.

For some people, their insulin resistance is so severe that they need to go several days or more without food in order to have any appreciable effect on their insulin sensitivity.

Don't give up hope. Type II Diabetes is not a death sentence. Find a doctor who will work with you to help you maintain a low-carb and intermittent fasting lifestyle. That is the only way to beat it, but when we do it, we beat it!

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was diagnosed with T2D over a decade ago. I'm in my 50s and still going strong. I changed my diet, started exercising, and take my meds.

What did the disasters that you've seen do after their diagnoses? Did they get their bicycle riding up to about ten miles a day? Did they shed inches from their waistlines? Did they switch to a healthy and sensible diet? Did they start sleeping regularly? What did they do about their diabetes?

Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Type II Diabetes is not a blood sugar disease, although high blood sugar is a symptom, and a serious symptom. Type II is insulin resistance.

And don't forget that muscle tissue doesn't need insulin to take sugar in from the bloodstream if you are exerting yourself. It uses a different pathway.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was diagnosed with T2D over a decade ago. I'm in my 50s and still going strong. I changed my diet, started exercising, and take my meds.

What did the disasters that you've seen do after their diagnoses? Did they get their bicycle riding up to about ten miles a day? Did they shed inches from their waistlines? Did they switch to a healthy and sensible diet? Did they start sleeping regularly? What did they do about their diabetes?

Do you sleep wearing your pump? I'm T1D. I was diagnosed last year. I know some with T2D have a pump 24/7 but others do not. I can't sleep. I am considering an implanted pump but for now have to wear one.

It would be so awesome if all I had to do was eat healthily and exercise to dramatically improve my diabetes! I don't have that control. T1D is so different from T2D. And you all are older when it starts. That's another advantage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you sleep wearing your pump? I'm T1D. I was diagnosed last year. I know some with T2D have a pump 24/7 but others do not. I can't sleep. I am considering an implanted pump but for now have to wear one.

It would be so awesome if all I had to do was eat healthily and exercise to dramatically improve my diabetes! I don't have that control. T1D is so different from T2D. And you all are older when it starts. That's another advantage.

Why would I have a pump? I don't have one, don't need one. I also don't take insulin. From the week I was diagnosed, I started making changes to my life. The original post was about someone who was wallowing because he was just diagnosed with T2D.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would I have a pump? I don't have one, don't need one. I also don't take insulin. From the week I was diagnosed, I started making changes to my life. The original post was about someone who was wallowing because he was just diagnosed with T2D.

I know it was about T2D but the OP hasn't returned to this thread in over a year, and you just wrote your post today so that's why I asked you. Can you not understand why someone who hasn't been able to sleep in weeks due to pump discomfort might try to take any shot stumbled upon to seek out tips from a diabetic who might also wear a pump? I didn't know you didn't even have to take insulin. T2D is exponentially less intense than T1D. And you only had to start dealing with it at 30, the OP at 40, that's amazing. I can't just make lifestyle changes to alleviate it. I've been thin and fit my entire life and have a 23 inch waist so losing weight won't help. You're fortunate!

• Friendly
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

BryanJohnMaloney

Jun 15, 2017
Carmel
✟26,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know it was about T2D but the OP hasn't returned to this thread in over a year, and you just wrote your post today so that's why I asked you. Can you not understand why someone who hasn't been able to sleep in weeks due to pump discomfort might try to take any shot stumbled upon to seek out tips from a diabetic who might also wear a pump? I didn't know you didn't even have to take insulin. T2D is exponentially less intense than T1D. And you only had to start dealing with it at 30, the OP at 40, that's amazing. I can't just make lifestyle changes to alleviate it. I've been thin and fit my entire life and have a 23 inch waist so losing weight won't help. You're fortunate!

Quote specifically where he stated he had a pump. Quote specifically where he stated he had T1D. He said he was 40. I was answering him, not you. I was responding to someone who was diagnosed at around 40 with T2D, just like I was. I hadn't noted the date. He was saying that his life was over. Mine wasn't. Far as I know, he was in the same boat I was.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Quote specifically where he stated he had a pump. Quote specifically where he stated he had T1D. He said he was 40. I was answering him, not you. I was responding to someone who was diagnosed at around 40 with T2D, just like I was. I hadn't noted the date. He was saying that his life was over. Mine wasn't. Far as I know, he was in the same boat I was.

Omgosh never mind. Again. I was writing specifically to you, since you were the one that wrote in this thread today, and the last post from the OP was over a year ago. I know you were writing to the OP. However, you stated that you were diagnosed with diabetes over a decade ago. I thought perhaps in all that time you might have experience with sleeping with an insulin pump and maybe just maybe you'd have kindness for a young diabetic reaching out to you wanting to see if you had tips. I am sorry I was so mistaken.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Life is NOT over!

I've had type 2 for 44 years now (since I was 21).

If you take reasonable care of yourself, you will live a long time and die of something else, and that's pretty good. Your blood-glucose meter is your best friend. Without that, you're trying to drive with a blindfold on. Just as important is keeping your organs and body systems working correctly.

As a new patient, you have several years to "practice" with your body and find out what works and what doesn't. DON'T waste this time - it's valuable for learning how to deal with it.

You can do this!

Take reasonable care of yourself, and it will stay harmless;
Ignore it, and it WILL kill you.

(Since the OP hasn't been here in over a year, maybe someone else can benefit from this...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0