✟22,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello

I am new to the Christian Forum. I came here because I have some very specific questions that I'd like insight to.

Like for example, recently I read a scripture that said we should use our god given talents to serve others. But what if you don't have any talents? Or in my situation, I want to be an artist, but I want to freelance from home and I've been having the most difficult time doing it despite praying and having hope for the past four to five years. I got my very first job in the food service industry as a banquet server which was really strange to me because I have no social skills at all, I suffer from severe anxiety, general and social and people just don't like me in general.

What stuck out to me was service and I figured maybe that's what he wanted me to focus on, but I don't want to be a banquet server, a waitress or any other position where I have to literally serve other people for the rest of my life.

Art is my dream and has been forever, even though quite frankly I'm not very good at it (I used to be). I still want to be an artist anyway.

So I guess my question is, what about those of us with NO talents? Am I doomed to be a banquet server or something of the like forever just to fulfill the 'serving others' command?

I hope this isn't confusing, I have a lot of thoughts and I struggle to articulate them .

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You would not be fulfilling the call of God on our lives to be a servant by being a restaurant server.

The servant that God calls you to be is thinking of others more significant than yourself and therefore putting yourself in such a way that you help them along their way. So this is wherever you go and whatever you do but being a restaurant server, you are only serving yourself so that you can get paid and eat and live.

Upvote 0

Lowlander

Dutch94
May 19, 2018
Europe
✟16,736.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most people can't make a living with their hobby/passion. You have to be really good in the arts to earn money. If you don't make it in that area, it doesn't automatically mean that you have to work in the food industry. There must be other fields that seem attractive to you.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that you aren't prepared yet to serve others. In fact you may need the help of others yourself. Don't rush into trying to serve the needs of others when your own needs aren't met. God wants us to be prepared to serve others. This might take you longer than usual based on your desire to be a professional artist. Truthfully some Christians never become prepared to help others in a material way, but there are other ways of serving. God wants us to be edified through the use of our 'talents', whether they are material or spiritual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a restaurant server, well, God needs us there too. Anywhere. Anytime. Any place.

You can witness to the Lord anywhere you are. I was a cashier and helper at a country store and I went on to be a security guard. No matter what, we can always touch lives with the grace of God in our thoughts, actions, and examples. I have, and the rewards of such humble surroundings has been awesome.

God needs us everywhere, no matter how humble our standing may be. Be a strong witness through kindness, understanding, and compassion wherever you are.

I will never be a Senator or President, but I can say that through my humble existence, I have been able to reach folks just through my actions and faith.

Keep faith in God, He will lead you. I do know this.

God bless you and thank you.

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome to CF!

Our daily encounters are our callings. You don’t have to be a superstar just be kind. Practice and enjoy your art and you can’t go wrong.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or in my situation, I want to be an artist, but I want to freelance from home and I've been having the most difficult time doing it despite praying and having hope for the past four to five years.
Have you considered getting a college degree in art, fashion design, computer graphics, animation, website design?

Upvote 0

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I guess my question is, what about those of us with NO talents? Am I doomed to be a banquet server or something of the like forever just to fulfill the 'serving others' command?
Since art is your passion, chances are that it is also your talent, and you may turn out to be an outstanding artist.

Do you believe that God could use this talent for His glory and for the propagation of the Gospel? Absolutely. You could be illustrating children's or adult's Bibles, producing Bible story *comic books*, painting murals with Gospel messages, and locating them where a lot of the general public travels, etc.

Take the banquet server position as a very temporary position on your way to becoming another Michelangelo. Ask the Lord to give you wisdom and direction as to how you should be obtaining the financial support/income you need so as to be a full-time artist. Don't believe for a minute that you have no talent, but practice makes perfect. And free-lancing is not your only option.

Upvote 0

SuZQ154

Apr 25, 2018
Alburtis
✟12,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You sound passionate about art yet discouraged because it has not turned into a career. "Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" keeps coming to mind. Have you considered "Delighting" in God, focusing on his messages to you that may come through prayer, worship, Scripture, the Holy Spirit, or other believers. Sometimes we have to focus on Him and then life becomes clearer.

For me, setting aside a daily devotional time is imperative to do this. Going into my "closet" and spend time with Him seems to make His message about my true desires clearer. Scriptures in Proverbs, Galatians, Philippians, and Romans often help me to refocus on His goals for my life.

Along with Scripture, Christian books often give me direction. "Designer Living" by Susan Sutton seems like a book that might help you. You might want to take a look at it. Designer Living

Hope this helps and praying you will find more direction today!

Upvote 0
May 24, 2018
California
✟22,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you everyone for your answers, you've all given me so much to think about. :)
You sound passionate about art yet discouraged because it has not turned into a career. "Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart" keeps coming to mind. Have you considered "Delighting" in God, focusing on his messages to you that may come through prayer, worship, Scripture, the Holy Spirit, or other believers. Sometimes we have to focus on Him and then life becomes clearer.

For me, setting aside a daily devotional time is imperative to do this. Going into my "closet" and spend time with Him seems to make His message about my true desires clearer. Scriptures in Proverbs, Galatians, Philippians, and Romans often help me to refocus on His goals for my life.

Along with Scripture, Christian books often give me direction. "Designer Living" by Susan Sutton seems like a book that might help you. You might want to take a look at it. Designer Living

Hope this helps and praying you will find more direction today!
Have you considered getting a college degree in art, fashion design, computer graphics, animation, website design?

Yes, I actually might have an opportunity to do just that very soon if my finances work out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Read the book of Matthew. And the Epistles. I think you will find you are called to serve others, just like everyone in Christ Jesus is called to serve others.
Watch for "contentment" in Scripture as you read, and "joy", "peace" and "righteousness". All gifts with Jesus in Salvation. Full Gifts, not parceled out a little or a piece at a time by God, but all at once in Jesus, for everyone in Jesus, with Salvation.
While serving, remember God's Word, meditate daily, frequently,
and serve others like the Bible Says ,like Jesus Says "as if serving Jesus Himself".

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all; Welcome to Christian Forums BrokenSpirit88!

To me it got very clear that the reason you got put to work as a banquet server is because this will help you getting out from your severe anxiety, it will help you becoming more confident in Christ as well as building up more social skills within you.

Everything is a process, and God keeps on molding and forming us. We have our own plans and thoughts about ourselves and our lives, but it is God's plan and thoughts that stands! What you think about yourself and your life isn't what God thinks, His thoughts goes higher than yours!

With your wish for using your art talent, keep on practicing and having fun with it. Letting God inspire you whilst doing this, and having your focus on Him. This pleases God! Whether it will be used later for a greater purpose in mind, pray for it and then wait for God. First you will have to be faithful in the small things before you can manage being faithful in the bigger things. (Luke 16:10) Everything should go according to God's plan, in God's perfect Will and Timing!

Just keep on trusting in Him, He has got you! And keep this in mind:

"Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass."
(Psalm 37:5)

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am new to the Christian Forum.

Welcome! :wave:

But what if you don't have any talents?

Everybody has some talents. Being able to say hello to people is a talent, just like art or music.

Or in my situation, I want to be an artist, but I want to freelance from home and I've been having the most difficult time doing it

That's a tough road. There are different kinds of art, though, and some are easier to get into than others.

Praying for you. :prayer:

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello

I am new to the Christian Forum. I came here because I have some very specific questions that I'd like insight to.

Like for example, recently I read a scripture that said we should use our god given talents to serve others. But what if you don't have any talents? Or in my situation, I want to be an artist, but I want to freelance from home and I've been having the most difficult time doing it despite praying and having hope for the past four to five years. I got my very first job in the food service industry as a banquet server which was really strange to me because I have no social skills at all, I suffer from severe anxiety, general and social and people just don't like me in general.

What stuck out to me was service and I figured maybe that's what he wanted me to focus on, but I don't want to be a banquet server, a waitress or any other position where I have to literally serve other people for the rest of my life.

Art is my dream and has been forever, even though quite frankly I'm not very good at it (I used to be). I still want to be an artist anyway.

I hope this isn't confusing, I have a lot of thoughts and I struggle to articulate them .
Hi; good to see you.

It's good not to be defined by one's secular work. But it's really good to make the Perfect Servant of Philippians 2.5-11 one model by faith. :)

Some areas of art are a growth industry; others are very hard to get into; others are such that there are openings for the talented while being very competitive; for example, have you ever checked out portfolios at tattoo parlors and wondered what being a tattoo artist would be like?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello...
Hi, BrokenSpirit. The number of people who truly have no talents at all are very few. Your talents apparently do not run along the lines of face to face interaction with other people. From what you said, art isn't it either.

But I would encourage you to think deeper on what it is that you can do and what is needed, even if it isn't the thing you always thought you would get into.

Upvote 0