Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Members,

As announced earlier, CF is switching to a new moderation warning and infraction system, and a new appeals system. A Questions/Answers post follows this one.

Please note: People who currently are banned will need to serve out their bans as normal before returning to the forum, and those who currently have active Administrative Warnings will receive a 2-point infraction in the new system.

---------------------

New Protocols effective 1/1/09

Internal Moderation Protocol

Staff Actions

Members and staff may report posts, signatures, avatars, custom titles, PMs, Chat Box comments, etc. which they think may be in violation of the forum rules. Staff teams review those reports and come to consensus on whether it is indeed a violation, and if it is, what the result should be.

Staff actions for violations are based on the severity of the violation and the history of the member, and may include a(n):
Eban: An Eban is a site-wide ban of a member with fewer than 100 posts who is spamming or trolling the board.
Counseling PM: This is a private message (PM) from staff that explains a mild or first violation;
Staff Edit (SE): Staff will edit a member's post, then send the member a PM detailing what edit was made and why it was made;
Cool-down ban: Staff may issue cool-down bans at any time, with a duration of 24-48 hours. Cool-down bans require the approval of at least one administrator.
Warning (yellow card): Warnings expire in three months and are worth zero points. However, if you gain four unexpired warnings, staff will give you a one week site-wide ban with your fourth warning;
Warning with Forum Specific Ban (FSB): A ban from specific forums within Christian Forums, in which the member may not post in the specific forum(s) indicated for either 14 or 30 days. This counts as a warning. If the member violates their FSB, staff will give them a site-wide ban for the remainder of the time of their FSB;
Infraction (red card): Infractions are worth one point and expire in eight months. At their discretion, staff may issue a custom infraction worth two points, which will expire in eight months. A point total of four earns an automatic three month site-wide ban. A point total of six earns another three month site-wide ban. If you earn eight unexpired points in infractions, you will be permanently banned from the forum.
Members may appeal infractions and forum-specific bans to the Reconciliation Team (RT).

Unilateral and Consensus Moderation

The first staff member to comment in a report is responsible for taking ownership of that report. If he feels the post is in violation, he may unilaterally edit/delete the post or thread for staff review, and send a PM to the member explaining that the post has been deleted for review. Staff will keep the report open, so that final consensus can be reached.

If consensus finds that the post is in violation, staff will issue a Counseling PM, Warning or Infraction, and close the staff report. If consensus finds that the post was not in violation, staff will restore the post/thread. FSB's are to be given with team consensus and the approval of a Supervisor or Admin.

Staff Position Descriptions

Moderators are responsible for actioning reports, including editing/deleting posts, closing threads, and issuing Counseling PM's, FSBs, and Warnings. They may guide discussions in their assigned forums through the use of mod hats or staff notes.

Supervisors are responsible for oversight of a forum category. They may vote and participate in reports, and overturn moderator actions or consensus, when necessary. Supervisors may issue staff actions including editing/deleting posts, closing threads, and issuing Counseling PM's, FSBs, Warnings, and Infractions. Supervisors cannot set forum policy or guidelines, nor discipline or manage staff. Supervisors are appointed by the Advisors.

Administrators manage the staff in their forum category, and facilitate the setting of guidelines for their forums. Administrators may vote and participate in reports, perform staff actions including editing/deleting posts, closing threads, and issuing Counseling PM's, FSBs, Warnings, and Infractions, and may clarify protocol and guidance for their staff. Administrators are appointed by the Advisors.

The Reconciliation Team (RT) hears appeals, answers member complaints, and conducts staff reviews. The Reconciliation Team may suggest to Administrators or Advisors possible disciplinary actions for staff members.

---------------

Protocol for Appeals

Members may appeal infractions and bans. To begin an appeal, start a thread in the Appeals Forum within 7 days of the staff action you want to appeal. The Reconciliation Team (RT) will hear your appeal and will render a decision within 14 days. The RT will either uphold the staff action, or reverse it. If the RT reverses the staff action, they will inform the administrator of the staff team that issued the action. The RT's decision is final, and may not be appealed further.

Members may not appeal other staff actions, like counseling PMs, thread moves/closures, and warnings. If you have questions about or problems with other specific staff actions, such as warnings, thread closures, thread moves, or anything not resulting in an infraction or ban, you may contact the moderator who issued the action, or that moderator's Administrator. The Staff Team listings are available from the first page of the FAQ.

----------
ETA: Changed infraction expiration from six months to eight months

Last edited:

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Questions/Answers about the new protocols:

Why have you made this change?
Under the staff notice/administrative warning system, we hoped to free up moderator staff to better serve the members by having the administrators more involved in the warning process. Unfortunately, elevating reports to the administrators ended up slowing down and complicating the whole process considerably more than intended. We are returning to the warning/infraction process to allow more flexibility to the mods in how they action violations, and to streamline the report-working process.
How will this affect me?
This change probably will not affect 95% of the members of this board. Those few members who violate the rules should find staff interaction more flexible and timely, and the process more understandable. Staff have more options to send counseling PMs rather than warnings, and a streamlined process for quicker responses to member concerns.
Will there be an amnesty of Administrative Warnings and bans that were given under the old system?
No, we will not be giving amnesty for Administrative Warnings and bans. People who currently are banned will need to serve out their bans as normal before returning to the forum, and those who currently have active Administrative Warnings will receive a 2-point infraction in the new system.

Why are you giving 2-point infractions to people who currently have active Administrative Warnings?

In the previous process, to get an Administrative Warning you would have had numerous Staff Notices, then had another serious violation elevated to the Administrators. The Administrators then came to consensus that you needed an Administrative Warning (AW). With the AW, you were given a probationary period. If you violated the rules again during your probationary period, you would earn a ban.

By giving you a two-point infraction in the new system, we are trying to reflect approximately where you were in the old system. It's as if you already had two infractions, and if you violate the rules severely two more times before your two-point infraction expires in six months, you will earn a ban.

What will happen with our old Staff Notices?
We will change Staff Notices so that they expire after six months. We cannot remove them completely without a tremendous amount of work, so they will remain on your profile. However, if you wish to have them removed, you may specifically request this service by PMing a moderator and asking them to submit your request through Superadmin Support.

Someone with sharp eyes pointed out that the original announcement does not actually allow for members to earn perma-ban through infraction points. Since infractions were set to expire after six months, and by the time a member had earned six infractions they would be banned for six months (3 month ban when they reached four infraction points, and another 3 month ban when they reached six), their infractions would start expiring, and the member could never earn eight infraction points, and a perma-ban.
Very good point! We've updated the policy such that infractions expire in eight months rather than six. It should still be fairly difficult for a member to get a perma-ban -- they'd have to be pretty consistently and egregiously violating the rules on a regular basis -- but it's possible.
What member actions result in warnings? What member actions result in infractions?

Violating CF Rules will bring warnings and or infractions based on severity and frequency of violations. Staff actions for violations are based on the severity of the violation and the history of the member. Moderation staff has quite a bit of discretion within the scale outlined in this system, from a counseling PM to an infraction.

What makes one violation more severe than another?

We do not have a specific scale for the severity of rules violations. That would not work in a site as large as this one, which includes everything from forums for light games or fellowship to forums that encourage pretty heavy discussion and debate. The moderation process we use relies upon the team moderators reviewing each report in light of their understanding of the site-wide rules and the guidelines specific to their forums. They must find agreement among themselves as to whether a reported post is a violation, and then how severe it is. Within the spectrum of actions available to them, they have some flexibility in how to respond to the member.
How much discretion does administration have to bypass these policies?

This announcement deals with only one part of the overall policy of the site. It touches primarily upon the report review process, and outlines the responsibilities of the moderators, administrators and reconciliation staff who are the primary staff contacts that most members will have. The main changes to this policy have to do with the report process and the staff who work through that process day to day. Thus, those are the staff positions that we included in this section of policy.

The FAQ outlines the authority of the CEO's Advisors in a separate section which deals more with the specific duties of the various teams within senior staff, and also a little in the section dealing with the staff chain of command.

The FAQ is indeed rather confusing with all its various sections. I will be reviewing it in more depth soon, and hope to make it clearer to understand.
-----------
Added question on Staff Notices
Added info on change to infraction expiration
Updated info on staff notices
Added info on warnings vs. infractions
Added clarification about which roles were included in this protocol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We will change Staff Notices so that they expire after six months.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on my log for that change. I assume you mean six months from when they were given, right?

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
We will change Staff Notices so that they expire after six months.

Is there a way that it can be coded so that the expired ones disaper after 6 months?

I know for myself, under the old system if was very discouraging to see the staff notices still there despite the fact they had expired. I think if they expire after six months it would be really cool if they could actually disaper when they expire

Apart from that, awesome on the new system

Upvote 0

Tychicus2

Aug 18, 2006
USA
✟607,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there a way that it can be coded so that the expired ones disaper after 6 months?

I know for myself, under the old system if was very discouraging to see the staff notices still there despite the fact they had expired. I think if they expire after six months it would be really cool if they could actually disaper when they expire

Agreed!

Please clarify... I understood from the above exchange that expiring would mean they would now disappear???

Please advise ?

I would like to add my vote to them disappearing...:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Ty

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Agreed!

Please clarify... I understood from the above exchange that expiring would mean they would now disappear???

Please advise ?

I would like to add my vote to them disappearing...:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Ty

Tritto.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It would be a tremendous amount of work to make them disappear from user profiles, as we'd have to do them one by one. We had planned to have them expire, but still remain as part of each member's history.

However, the Information Manager has offered to remove them on a case-by-case basis. If you wish them removed from your profile after six months, you may PM a moderator and ask that they make a SuperAdmin request to have them removed.

Upvote 0

Tychicus2

Aug 18, 2006
USA
✟607,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It would be a tremendous amount of work to make them disappear from user profiles, as we'd have to do them one by one. We had planned to have them expire, but still remain as part of each member's history.

However, the Information Manager has offered to remove them on a case-by-case basis. If you wish them removed from your profile after six months, you may PM a moderator and ask that they make a SuperAdmin request to have them removed.

PM any Mod?? The Mod who issued the original warning/infraction???

I would like all three of mine removed please ;):thumbsup:

Please advise who to PM is necessary?

Ty

Reactions: meh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well the previous moderation system gave administration absolute discretion to bypass normal procedures and issue disciplinary action. This moderation system seems to restrict administration to a greater extent. Permanent bans are almost impossible to issue unless you have a really obnoxious member that is receiving infractions on a near daily basis (which I've rarely seen).

I'm trying to understand the motivation behind the change. Can these policies be bypassed? If so, by which staff level? To what extent can they be bypassed? Under what circumstances would they be bypassed?

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Random thoughts:

[1] Administrators (under the previous system) were given responsibility to issue permanent bans at their discretion, but they almost never did. Advisors frequently stepped in to issue permanent bans when the Administrators didn't take action. Elevating issues was too clumsy and time-consuming.

[2] It's decided to revert to a point-based system. Administrators no longer have authority to issue permanent bans at their discretion. Mod-staff are responsible for disciplinary action. Permanent bans are almost impossible to issue under the current point-based system.

[3] This document omits the Advisor staff description. Either the Advisors have no authority to issue disciplinary action or unlimited authority. If Administrators can no longer issue permanent bans, and it's almost impossible for mod-staff to issue permanent bans, that leaves the Advisors to step in during extraordinary circumstances and issue permanent bans at their discretion.

With all that said, it doesn't really matter to me whether we use a point-based system or a system based on staff discretion. What does bother me is upper management's discretionary authority is not apparent in this document. In fact, according to this policy it's almost impossible to be permanently banned, and yet that probably isn't accurate. Members should be fully aware under what circumstances they can be banned, including extraordinary circumstances, so they can modify their behavior accordingly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.