St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Blockbuster Video or Hollywood Video might have anime available to rent, but in my experience, it's usually not a very big selection.

Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon all have huge selections of manga, and both Amazon and Barnes and Noble's websites have a large of selection of anime DVDs you can order. Amazon also has a lot of anime soundtracks you can order. If there's a Suncoast Motion Picture Company store near you, they might have a large selection, as might Best Buy (at least, they do in my area). FYE/Spec's music stores also tend to have an anime section, but be careful there, since they also sell some of the 18+ stuff and put it on the same shelf (but they are clearly labelled). The rest of the stores I mentioned hide that stuff away so nobody sees it, thank goodness. Finding anime on eBay is really only good for ordering used Japanese laserdiscs or imported Japanese DVDs without subtitles or bootlegs from Hong Kong that have horribly-translated English subtitles (if you ever see a supposedly Japanese imported DVD selling for around $25 USD or less and has English subtitles, 99% of the time it's a bootleg. If it's an entire series, like say, Inuyasha Season 1, but it's on only three discs (instead of the seven or eight discs it normally would be in America or Japan), selling for about $50 USD, that's also probably a bootleg. Internet retailers are notorious for this, but if you go to a reputable source, like Barnes and Noble or Amazon, they'll sell you the real thing, as will the store I mention below).

For true-to-the-source Japanese imports, cdjapan is the best one, even though you'll have to fork over the extra money to actually pay the Japanese retail price (which is usually much higher than the American), and then the shipping and handling on top of it, and you probably won't have any sort of subtitles, but those DVDs should have much higher video quality than the US releases since there aren't as many episodes packed onto a disc and more of the disc's storage space can be used for one episode (kind of like the difference between VCR recording modes). And many of those series have been rereleased in remastered form in Japan but not yet (or possibly ever) in the US or other countries. cdjapan also has a larger selection of anime soundtracks and normal jpop and jrock cds than Amazon does.

Upvote 0

roseheartwind

Warrior of Faith
May 21, 2004
Canada
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Becareful on what animes u decided to watch. The japanese culter is greatly surounded by their demons and magic. Their animes are greatly influenced by this. Such as, such animes Yugioh, Inuyasha, Angel Sanctuary....Stay away from
animes that are labled under hentai, yaoi and yuri and all fanfics under lemon. The anime yugioh was not created for little children, so if u decided to watch any that is not on ytv DO NOT!! For YTV takes out all the human sacrifices, rape and anything else that is not suitable for children.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
**Throws away Tolkien's Lord of the Rings since it has deamons named Balrogs and a wizard using magic named Gandalf**

There's a difference between fantasy and reality. No anime, especially Yu-Gi-Oh!, promotes demons and magic. In fact, I've posted many times how YGO! actually advises against getting involved with actual magic and demons. Anyone who has seriously watched the anime or read the manga would agree that YGO! warns against meddling in such things, since a key premise of the series is to stop such evils.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, and just as a note: YuGiOh, Inuyasha, and the like and Angel Sanctuary are two different things entirely. Whereas YGO, Inuyasha, et al deal with Japanese legends and mythology, Angel Sanctuary was created *expressly* as a slam against Christianity. :)

Even my friend, who has watched and enjoyed Hellsing, NGE, and other "religiously questionable" animes, finds Angel Sanctuary repugnant and insulting. :)

Just so you know. :)

Upvote 0

taboo

Post Fiend
Feb 18, 2004
texas
Visit site
✟1,456.00
Faith
Christian
There's a difference between fantasy and reality. No anime, especially Yu-Gi-Oh!, promotes demons and magic. In fact, I've posted many times how YGO! actually advises against getting involved with actual magic and demons. Anyone who has seriously watched the anime or read the manga would agree that YGO! warns against meddling in such things, since a key premise of the series is to stop such evils.

ive always felt that it was best to not romanticize things, and to just listen to the meaning that was intentionally created w/ the story. stories like The chronicals of Narnia and LOTR(or so ive heard) were specifically created w/ christianity in mind and YGO wasnt. -_____- you can find relevance in any story and compare it to the Bible. (lots of harry p. fans do this and it drives me up the wall....) random ex: Shrek= you should have faith at all times in God and to follw Him w/ all your heart and not let your prize get taken away ie: shrek should have had faith in fiona and not let her get taken away because of his doubt.

In fact, i belive that while YGO doesnt promote witchcraft(in the wiccan sense) it does promote magic (well duh- seven millenium items and w/ the power to read minds, predict the future, control people, etc) however i dont think it promotes a real threat becuase it SO DARN CHEEEEEESY xD like every battle 'the fate of the world depends on it' lol. i like it though, despite its objectionable characteristics. (BAKURAAAAAAAA!! :3)

if you wanna get started on a show that promotes magic and stuff REAL bad, talk about Shaman king. O_O a baaaad show and once again, ive fallen for the bad/good guy (Lenny, Lian, Ren, whatever language you want to say it in :p) but th art is good...

Upvote 0