Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just bought a .357 Magnum Tracker for hiking in Colorado. I had the model 66 with a 4in barrel but decided I needed something with a bit more reach. The Tracker has a 6.5" ported barrel but I had no idea how well it would shoot at any distance. Well, I took the wife out and she first shot it with .38 specials and it was like shooting a .22 magnum with the ports taking most of the barrel rise out of it. At 20 yards she was not just hitting paper but keeping them inside the 7 ring. I then took the .357 hand loaded 158 grain magnum hollow point rounds out to 50 yards. There was immediate satisfaction that a rogue bear or mountain lion would meet our maker if it looked like they were going to charge or be a threat. It is not a Smith and Wesson nor a Ruger, but Taurus is definitely on my list of o.k. guns when you can't find American that will fit your budget.

tracker.jpg

Last edited:

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
there's nothing wrong with Taurus, they make fine firearms.
Since this is about guns I would say the reason I differentiate Taurus from Smith and Wesson and Ruger in the revolver departments can be best described as, the Taurus is manufactured using faster techniques and less experienced labor while Smith and Ruger still use more traditional gunsmiths techniques and more experienced labor with four examples of difference being found in the (a) cylinder timing lugs, (b) front sight mounting and (c) fit of the side plate, and (d) trigger and hammer manufacturing process.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Taurus are hard to find here in Canada, but for the value minded shooter we do have Alpha-Project revolvers. Like the Taurus, fit and finish are not up to S&W or Ruger's standards, but functionality is just as good, and the triggers, almost as good so I have been told. They are built by CZ, but in a different plant than, and not to the same standard as, their rifles. They are available in .22, 9 mm, .38, and 357 (no .44 mag unfortunately).

We will see how things play out with our laws; there is a good chance there is one of these in .357 in my future.

Good Canadian Review here: ALFA PROJ REVOLVERS REVIEWED - Calibremag.ca

Upvote 0