New Resource for Catholics on the Study of Sacred Scripture!!

Reader Antonius

Lector et Didascalus
Nov 26, 2007
Patriarchate of Old Rome
Visit site
✟32,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
שלום, Ειρήνη, Pax!

Dear brethren & sistren,

One of my longtime heroes, Dave Armstrong, a Catholic apologist & evangelist of many years & voluminous work, has recently published a new book: The Word Set in Stone: How Archaeology, Science and History Back Up the Bible. I've yet to read it myself, but so far it is getting rave reviews (unsurprisingly to me given Dave, lol). It is published by Catholic Answers Press, but is available in other venues. I know it's a "must have" for me as an instituted Lector/ordained Reader since assiduous study of the Sacred Page is part of my vocation. Nevertheless, I think it is absolutely solid reading for any Catholic, Eastern or Western, seeking to understand & defend the historicity of the Bible as the Church understands it. Moreover, I think it's great for any Christian to read, esp. those involved in Biblical study.

For far too long Biblical minimalist scholars dominated the field. Sadly, among them were many Catholics. It seems a major part of that was due to a grievous misinterpretation of Dei Verbum §11, the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council's dogmatic constitution of Divine Revelation. Outside the Church, many minimalists in Israel, Egyptology, and the Middle-East also approach Biblical accounts with a degree of skepticism that, frankly, they would not apply to other ancient documents. Why?

It's obvious to many that part of that is an unspoken bias against the Bible. Yet, times are changing. New scholars, armed with recent archeological discoveries, scientific approaches, & primary sources, are challenging this skepticism. In the end, of course, Holy Writ must be believed rather than proven, but that doesn't mean it has no rational basis for belief. Dave Armstrong, one of my personal heroes, has written a new & detailed book on this new evidence. I highly recommend all, skeptic or believer, to check it out!

"Since, therefore, all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm must be held as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must in consequence acknowledge that, by means of the books of Scripture, the truth that God, for the sake of our salvation, wanted recorded in the form of the Sacred Writings is taught firmly, faithfully, and without error. Therefore 'all Scripture is divinely inspired and has its use for teaching the truth and refuting error, for reformation of manners and discipline in right living, so that the man who belongs to God may be efficient and equipped for good work of every kind (2 Tim. 3:16-17 Greek Text) (Dei Verbum §11).

Word Set in Stone Cover.jpg
Amen. Blessed Lent to all, East and West!