Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Did you meet Jessica Fletcher? :D (Sorry!!!)

maxresdefault.jpg
Lol! Totally didn’t think about that. :)

415A5593-5106-47E4-B10C-6BC224AC1AC0.png
Photo from The Szechuan Dragon" Sign Post in Season 6

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We just got back from our anniversary trip. It was our 7th anniversary!

Maine is beautiful. It is so peaceful there! We visited Cundy’s Harbor - a small lobster fishing village. The Casco Bay region (Phippsburg, Harpswell, Boothbay, etc) is one of our favorite places to visit!

View attachment 307099

Heh, no lie. I am from Maine. Nine generations. Out on the West Coast right now though.

You mention Cundy's Harbor. Took a bad chain saw cut there one day and nearly bled to death. Other than that , it was a beautiful fall day. They took me into the Seventh Day Adventist hospital there in Brunswick. Needless to say, I did not get persnickity about their theology. They were lookin good, as long as I was conscious anyway.

The doctor was from California and I spoofed him a little and asked him later if he had ever seen snow and been through a real winter. But he told me that his father was a missionary and he spent most of his younger years in the Himalayas and there was never a time when he did not see snow. Kind of a fun discussion.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Heh, no lie. I am from Maine. Nine generations. Out on the West Coast right now though.

You mention Cundy's Harbor. Took a bad chain saw cut there one day and nearly bled to death. Other than that , it was a beautiful fall day. They took me into the Seventh Day Adventist hospital there in Brunswick. Needless to say, I did not get persnickity about their theology. They were lookin good, as long as I was conscious anyway.

The doctor was from California and I spoofed him a little and asked him later if he had ever seen snow and been through a real winter. But he told me that his father was a missionary and he spent most of his younger years in the Himalayas and there was never a time when he did not see snow. Kind of a fun discussion.
Wow, very cool about you being from Cundy’s Harbor (but not that you had such a bad injury!). We stayed at a VRBO hosted by one of the Prossers. We met the owner’s grandmother (she was the neighbor) and enjoyed learning about their family history in the Cundy Harbor area. It sounds like many families are there for generations!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, very cool about you being from Cundy’s Harbor (but not that you had such a bad injury!). We stayed at a VRBO hosted by one of the Prossers. We met the owner’s grandmother (she was the neighbor) and enjoyed learning about their family history in the Cundy Harbor area. It sounds like many families are there for generations!

Actually I am from further up, near the Belgrade Lakes Region. I was keeping company with someone from Cundy's Harbor at the time. But the entire state is pretty much my home. Kennebunk-Ogunquit are is like Northern Massachusetts to me but I used to like to swim at the beaches there. The water can be cold though. Extremely cold depending on the currents and time of the year.

Yep, some of the families go way back. My family arrived after the Revolution. My great..g.gg.g.g.g grandfather was in a Massachusetts regiment and Maine was part of Massachusetts at that time. The government not have any money to pay the soldiers so some of them were given land in places such as Maine.

You said that you talked to some of the locals about their families there along the coast. The Mainers always joked that when you talk with the coastal Mainers whose families were from the islands that the family tree turned into a brush pile if you went back more than three generations so exercise some caution there. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually I am from further up, near the Belgrade Lakes Region. I was keeping company with someone from Cundy's Harbor at the time. But the entire state is pretty much my home. Kennebunk-Ogunquit are is like Northern Massachusetts to me but I used to like to swim at the beaches there. The water can be cold though. Extremely cold depending on the currents and time of the year.

Yep, some of the families go way back. My family arrived after the Revolution. My great..g.gg.g.g.g grandfather was in a Massachusetts regiment and Maine was part of Massachusetts at that time. The government not have any money to pay the soldiers so some of them were given land in places such as Maine.

You said that you talked to some of the locals about their families there along the coast. The Mainers always joked that when you talk with the coastal Mainers whose families were from the islands that the family tree turned into a brush pile if you went back more than three generations so exercise some caution there. :)
Lol, true! The ones I spoke to at Cundy’s Harbor were there since early 1800s, when it became a fishing town. I spoke with others in past years (non-coastal), and families were often pre-revolutionary.

I also can trace back to the 1700s for my family, albeit them being Germans Pennsylvanians. It’s 10 generations for me - Johannes Reber, who migrated to the states in 1742. His son Valentine Reber was in the revolutionary war and was the first to be born in the States. It was in our family until 1999 (the farm was purchased in the early 1770s). We still can visit the cemetery though, as the current owners permit access to it.

We (Pennsylvania Dutch) have a long history here as well! I still love Maine though and someday would love to retire there….we just need an Orthodox Church nearby!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We (Pennsylvania Dutch) have a long history here as well! I still love Maine though and someday would love to retire there….we just need an Orthodox Church nearby!

As you know, there are some choices south of Augusta. Greek, Russian and whatever. Maybe four or so altogether but - if you were to take, say, Brunswick as a central area, they would all be within half an hour to minutes. I know that many people are used to more choices than that, but you could do worse in other parts of the country.

You are probably better studied up on the church situation than I am.

The Pemaquid area is not that far from some of the places that you mentioned. Just up the coast a smidge. I hope you have have spent time there. Or will.
I also hope that when I die, I will pass through Pemaquid on my way to the next place. Nothing spectacular there other than the Maine coast which is pretty much everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As you know, there are some choices south of Augusta. Greek, Russian and whatever. Maybe four or so altogether but - if you were to take, say, Brunswick as a central area, they would all be within half an hour to minutes. I know that many people are used to more choices than that, but you could do worse in other parts of the country.

You are probably better studied up on the church situation than I am.

The Pemaquid area is not that far from some of the places that you mentioned. Just up the coast a smidge. I hope you have have spent time there. Or will.
I also hope that when I die, I will pass through Pemaquid on my way to the next place. Nothing spectacular there other than the Maine coast which is pretty much everything.
It probably seems farther since we typically are in the fingers….it always takes extra time to get back up to Brunswick from the places we stay. In Phippsburg and Harpswell, the closest location was St Alexander Nevsky - a ROCOR Church….partially Church Slavonic and partially English. It typically is 50-55 minutes away. The next closest ones were in Portland area and south of Augusta. When we are in the Greenville / Moosehead Lake Region- one of our other favorite areas - it is about an hour and a half from the closest church in Bangor.

We’ve been to Harpswell, Orrs Island, Phippsburg, Georgetown, Edgecomb and Boothbay. We were in Damariscotta but didn’t get further down the Bristol fingers. It’s definitely on our list! Pemaquid looks beautiful from what I’ve seen.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and of course driving is much more challenging during the first six months of winter.

:cool:
Lol, yea. Up in Greenville, I’ve heard that it can still snow all the way in early May up in the mountains! Seems like April is pretty typical to still have snow. Brr…

I like my November to March winters…

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol, yea. Up in Greenville, I’ve heard that it can still snow all the way in early May up in the mountains! Seems like April is pretty typical to still have snow. Brr…

I like my November to March winters…

Well, it is true that you can very easily end out shoveling a foot of "partly-cloudy" (which is how it was usually forecasted) maybe once in April, but it does not make much of a dent in most people's psyche because the know that winter behind them. April is a nice month. Most of the locals who do not have many expectations are happy that they survived another winter and did not run out of wood. The recent arrivals have all sorts of needs. But the days are longer in April and the bare ground is showing and you certainly would not trade it in for February.

Winters are cold, snowy and long in Maine but there is also a lot of sunshine once you get past November which can be gray, rainy, snowy and dreary and big let down from October with the warm weather cool nights and brilliant foliage. I have a hard time with November mostly because I love October so much but then it comes to a screeching halt. But as we get into the true winter I harden off a bit like a shrub a bit.

Maine is cold and snowy but I dont think it is as bad or any worse than lots of other places such as upstate new york, etc. Plus it's Maine- not New York! Of coure the northern part of Maine is another climate too. As a piece of trivia that a lot of Americans and Canadians do not know, 80% of the population in Canada lives south of the most northern part of Maine. Look at a map. Of course, I love Quebec City too, so the cold and snow there is not a problem for me either. A little drive up through Maine to Quebec City would do you good. Watch out for the moose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, it is true that you can very easily end out shoveling a foot of "partly-cloudy" (which is how it was usually forecasted) maybe once in April, but it does not make much of a dent in most people's psyche because the know that winter behind them. April is a nice month. Most of the locals who do not have many expectations are happy that they survived another winter and did not run out of wood. The recent arrivals have all sorts of needs. But the days are longer in April and the bare ground is showing and you certainly would not trade it in for February.

Winters are cold, snowy and long in Maine but there is also a lot of sunshine once you get past November which can be gray, rainy, snowy and dreary and big let down from October with the warm weather cool nights and brilliant foliage. I have a hard time with November mostly because I love October so much but then it comes to a screeching halt. But as we get into the true winter I harden off a bit like a shrub a bit.

Maine is cold and snowy but I dont think it is as bad or any worse than lots of other places such as upstate new york, etc. Plus it's Maine- not New York! Of coure the northern part of Maine is another climate too. As a piece of trivia that a lot of Americans and Canadians do not know, 80% of the population in Canada lives south of the most northern part of Maine. Look at a map. Of course, I love Quebec City too, so the cold and snow there is not a problem for me either. A little drive up through Maine to Quebec City would do you good. Watch out for the moose.
I often am about an hour from Quebec (moose country). I definitely need to go up there sometime. We just love hiking around there all the time and have a tendency to run out of time. :) Also - when talking about snow, I was referencing more of Northern Maine…definitely different than the other areas of Maine that we’ve discussed (at least from what I’ve read and heard). If we get to retire up in Maine, it probably would be more coastal. It sounded like that was a bit more mild than Northern Maine?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we get to retire up in Maine, it probably would be more coastal. It sounded like that was a bit more mild than Northern Maine?

Brunswick coast area is about 30-32 degrees on average in January which is just basic winter.

An inland semi-northerly town like Greenville is just a little bit colder on average but there a swings to the lowside that can be tough- below zero. It's like that in places that are far from the ocean because the ocean water temp evens things out. You know, lots of deserts are both very cold and very hot at different times. No ocean nearby to moderate things.

The term "northern Maine" varies depending on who you are talking to. I lived in the Augusta, Belgrade, Winthrop area mostly- although other places as well. And usually when I talk to someone who has been to Maine they think that is northerly because they have been to Portland so anything above that is like one of those maps from the middle ages that show the edge of the earth/ocean with serpents. In fact it is only a third of the way up, Also in fact, Bangor is the center of the state roughly which is even further up. and the true northern Maine is Aroostook Count which extend even another 250 miles beyond Bangor. In January, on average, the high of day there is about 15 degrees. ie. a couple degrees warmer than Nome, Alaska at that time of the year. :cool:

So yes, somewhat milder along the coast but you will still get hammered by snowstorms plenty- because- well it is winter in the northern half of the U.S. Certainly I have been through blizzards much worse in Boston than in Maine and Boston is on the coast. But along the coast you get a lot of snow that melts off in a few days. Some of that inland stuff likes to drift around for days just to show you who is boss. That is because it is below freezing. Snow stops drifting when it goes above freezing even for ten minutes and forms a crust. The coastal temps are always rocking right at the freezing point.

Even though I am giving info to you. I am actually doing these same exercises in my own head because I am planning on moving to Alaska in the next few years. So I have some of those issues to work through on another scale. I will say no more about that. But just sayin, I know how the wheels in your head turn when you have to think those things through. It's all relative depending on where you are coming from. I live in the rainiest part of the Northwest and watch people leave by the thousands after their first year. But I see it from a totally different angle. A winter day in the Northwest is about like a cold summer day in Maine. Not worse than that. No one ever threw their back out shoveling rain. The Californians who move up struggle bigtime though.

I will always want to be in Maine in the fall though, even if I am somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0