United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So my tetras ended up gettting sick which got my betta sick. They all died :(
That was a couple days after my last post.

I got a new betta & have had him since October. He's been doing really well. I want to try tetras again......Thinking of getting a 2 1/2 gallon tank so if there's ANY sign of a problem, I can re-locate him away from the tetras. He's doing so good & seems happy, so I don't want to kill him. He spends most of his time in the same corner of the tank so feels like I have so much extra tankroom. Some people tell you not to do anything more than a betta & a snail or 2 in a 5 gallon, some people say it's okay. I want to try it again.

Ugh, maybe I should just upgrade to 10 gal!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I got a new betta & have had him since October. He's been doing really well. I want to try tetras again......Thinking of getting a 2 1/2 gallon tank so if there's ANY sign of a problem, I can re-locate him away from the tetras. He's doing so good & seems happy, so I don't want to kill him. He spends most of his time in the same corner of the tank so feels like I have so much extra tankroom. Some people tell you not to do anything more than a betta & a snail or 2 in a 5 gallon, some people say it's okay. I want to try it again.

I really like the glofish electric tetras they’ve always been very hearty fish from my experience. I have one named Andrew that’s going on 4 years now. Mollys, to me I’ve had really bad luck with. For some reason they always seem to get sick and die within 3 months so I stopped buying them. Also the neon sharks they never seem to last more than 2 weeks. I’ve also had really good luck with the Cory catfish. They also seem to be very strong fish. I never bought a beta because of their aggression level, I tend to keep too many smaller fish so I stay away from the more aggressive species.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I really like the glofish electric tetras they’ve always been very hearty fish from my experience. I have one named Andrew that’s going on 4 years now. Mollys, to me I’ve had really bad luck with. For some reason they always seem to get sick and die within 3 months so I stopped buying them. Also the neon sharks they never seem to last more than 2 weeks. I’ve also had really good luck with the Cory catfish. They also seem to be very strong fish. I never bought a beta because of their aggression level, I tend to keep too many smaller fish so I stay away from the more aggressive species.
Wow! 4 years! I've never heard of a 'simple' aquarium fish living that long!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow! 4 years! I've never heard of a 'simple' aquarium fish living that long!

He’s not quite there yet, right now he’s about 3 1/2 years old. He’s a pink glow fish electric tetra. We bought him the same time we bought my favorite fish Perry who was a red glow fish electric tetra but he died about 4 months ago. Our plecostomus “Johnny the Janitor” is going on 5 years now. He’s about 14” long. He was 3” when we got him.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Well I got brave & decided to try tetras again. It didn't work. After a week my betta all of a sudden got sick & didn't make it. The tetras are doing fine, but I feel so terrible. He was my friend. It's like losing a cat or dog. Losing a betta fish is different from losing a tetra or other kind of tropical fish. They have so much personality :( I had him 5 months. I'm sorry, little fish :(

I got a bigger tank to do a small school of tetras. Maybe in a couple months I can 'adopt' another betta. I need a little break from them, I've done a couple bettas this year & every time it's very hard losing one. This time I won't make the same mistake. Every time I learn something new or is a lesson reinforced. Tetras will be fun & maybe in a couple months a new betta will want to get adopted.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My 10 gallon now has 5 neon tetras, 1 mystery snail, & 1 ghost shrimp.

I left my 5 gallon up & running but moved it into the den for 'storage' till I want to get a betta again. (I want one NOW but want to enjoy tetras for now) The store had a bunch the other day when I was there, they are all so cute!

Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I used to be real big into fish many years back. But its been so long I forgot a great deal of the knowledge I once had and feel outdated here. But there was a time when I had 7 fish tanks running at the same time. My biggest tank was a 38 gallon which was used to house my Green Terror Cichlid. Then I had a 29 Gallon tank I kept my channel cat fish in. I had a Bullhead that came to me when I bought minnows for fishing and I saw this cute little black thing swimming among the minnows. It was a tiny Bullhead fry. In time, that Bullhead would become very large and I housed him in a kiddy pool in the basement.He loved the pool. could hand feed him and everything. These days I don't get into fish tanks because of the poor quality of water.

>​

• Friendly
Upvote 0