• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

New Fish Tank

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by DragonFox91, May 21, 2021.

1. DragonFox91

DragonFox91 Well-Known Member

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I went to the petstore & got talked into trying 1 black neon tetra. It swam in small circles right away, & was swimming all crazy a couple hours later.

Something is wrong.

My water tests fine.

2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,028
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    So how is the tetra today?

3. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    well it died overnight

4. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I got a female betta fish last night. She explored her aquarium & ate a couple pellets. She seems to be doing okay. She is actively swimming, maybe a bit too actively, which is making me nervous. I wish she'd calm down just a little bit. I put in a teaspoon of the Petsmart bacteria last night & this morning. Ammonia is 1......which could be too high.........I got a positive Nitrite test as well. She ate her pellet of food this morning.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  5. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+4,944
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Whats the PH of your water? I don’t know anything about betas but I do know that if your using tap water the PH can get really high sometimes depending on your water source. The last place I lived the PH was completely off the chart it was so high. I had to mix it with distilled bottle water which typically has a PH around 6 to get my water to a nice 7.2-7.6. Then again you might’ve just got a bad fish. Most pet stores will allow you to return a fish if it dies within 14 days but you have to bring a water sample so they can check to make sure it wasn’t your water that killed it.

6. BNR32FAN

+4,944
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I got a small bamboo tree and I have it hanging in the top of the tank. Supposedly they help keep the nitrate level down but I’ve never had any nitrate or ammonia problems in my tank.

7. BNR32FAN

+4,944
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Are you acclimating the fish before you release it into the tank? Place the bag in the tank and wait about 30-45 minutes before you release the fish and don’t pour the water from the bag into your tank.

8. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    That could've been the problem w/ the tetra. I didn't use any water from the cup for this betta.

Yes, I float the bag/cup for a half hour first.

9. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    She seems to be doing okay. Ammonia flirts between 1 & 2. She is a very active swimmer, which apparently means they're stressed. But she eats her pellets & I think she sleeps at night. Hopefully ammonia will go down.....

10. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Same thing. Ammonia seems to be staying at 2.......I wish it'd go down......She's still very active swimmer. I think she's stressed.......I wonder if I should be doing water changes consistently until ammonia goes down? I did one the other day.

11. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Ammonia still around 1-2. I've been doing water changes twice a week.

But bad news: Today I see she has Ick. :sob: I got medication for her. Hopefully it goes away in a week.

She swims alongside the glass a lot. The ammonia is definitely getting to her, I think.

12. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    She rests more. Still fighting ick. One side of her looks good, the other not so much, but it's mainly on her fins, looks like.

Still can't get ammonia to zero, & I tried cycling almost 3 weeks before adding her, & she's been in the tank almost 3 weeks. Plus filter's been on tank 2 months.

13. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Today is her worse day. Still fighting ick on Day 8. She's sitting on the bottom a lot today. Ick doesn't look like it's getting better. Didn't eat. Not good.

Tempted to put her out of her misery so I can try to start stabilizing the tank again sooner than later. :(

14. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Joined a fish forum, seeing if they might know there why ammonia just stayed at 2 after 5-6 weeks w/out any nitrites or nitrates.

15. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    2 weeks of fishless cycling, plus 3 weeks of a fish in it, but 2 weeks of fishless cycling = ammonia still at 2

16. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I believe aquarium is FINALLY cycled or very near it. Ammonia testing VERY low. Lots of Nitrates. I will be out of town off & on next week but thinking when I get back it'll be ready. :sunglasses:

17. DragonFox91

+560
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Ammonia's been testing Zero even after adding fish food & raw ammonia. Added fish yesterday. She seems to be doing okay.