• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone. When I first got saved I had a lot of fruits of the spirit but I feel like they are withering. I was very patient and peaceful for months. Now it's like the past is coming back to me. I forgave people for certain things but sometimes I focus on it a lot. I feel angry and short fused and sometimes anxious, which I haven't felt in a long time.

I really hate it, I don't like being angry and impatient. I've been praying to God for help. He showed me a lot of things I need to work on with my relationship with him.

I also am dealing with feelings of self pity and worthlessness. Obviously we all sin and fall short from Gods grace. The other night I sinned and I kept crying and I keep thinking about how much I mess up. I think it might be condemnation I am feeling. Sometimes I fear myself talk and I seem so hateful.

Idk what to do or what's going on with me but I'm scared.

Anyone have advice?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello everyone. When I first got saved I had a lot of fruits of the spirit but I feel like they are withering. I was very patient and peaceful for months. Now it's like the past is coming back to me. I forgave people for certain things but sometimes I focus on it a lot. I feel angry and short fused and sometimes anxious, which I haven't felt in a long time.

I really hate it, I don't like being angry and impatient. I've been praying to God for help. He showed me a lot of things I need to work on with my relationship with him.

I also am dealing with feelings of self pity and worthlessness. Obviously we all sin and fall short from Gods grace. The other night I sinned and I kept crying and I keep thinking about how much I mess up. I think it might be condemnation I am feeling. Sometimes I fear myself talk and I seem so hateful.

Anyone have advice?
Two somewhat contradictory things.

First, anger can be acceptable for a Christian. Jesus himself was angry with a righteous anger. So can we, provided our anger is not done wrong. It was the Stoic philosophers who forbade anger. We are not Stoics. We can be angry. There is a lot to be angry about.

Second, anger over the long term leads to depression. Not a simple relationship, but real. Not that all of your feelings are from that source, but it is a known contributor to depression.

I think the reconciliation between those two things is that anger left to fester is terrible for us. Anger about something we can change in the short term is fine. So get angry and then forgive and then pray for the situation.

Upvote 0

Seun

Jul 11, 2018
Midwest
✟34,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! I have recently been feeling the same way. I don’t know why I felt angry though, i woke up one day and felt so angry for something that should have not been an issue. Then I started thinking about what people had done to me in the past, but this time it was different because it was like someone was putting a magnifying glass on everything done to me. I also had a strong feeling of giving in to my addiction. I do remember my pastor talking about how God knows we as human beings will mess up. We have the gift of the Holy Spirit that convicts us if we do mess up so we know not to do it anymore. There is also a sermon by Billy Graham about the Prodigal son that reminded me of the unconditional love God has for us (Luke 15:11-32). Ask for forgiveness for your sin and stay in constant communication with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've worked on that too.The people feel anger cause they believe someone did done something to them that was personal.When in reality they would have done it to anybody we just happened to be the one.So you have to not take it personally what ever happened to you. What I do with anything that is a negative is imagine its like a piece of paper and crush it in a ball and picture Jesus flaming heart and throw it at it to dissolve it .

Upvote 0

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Two somewhat contradictory things.

First, anger can be acceptable for a Christian. Jesus himself was angry with a righteous anger. So can we, provided our anger is not done wrong. It was the Stoic philosophers who forbade anger. We are not Stoics. We can be angry. There is a lot to be angry about.

Second, anger over the long term leads to depression. Not a simple relationship, but real. Not that all of your feelings are from that source, but it is a known contributor to depression.

I think the reconciliation between those two things is that anger left to fester is terrible for us. Anger about something we can change in the short term is fine. So get angry and then forgive and then pray for the situation.
Thanks. I can tell the difference between just and unjust anger. I get mad about the news. Unjust anger feels terrible and I get angry and little things lately which isn't like me. Even small things like dropping something. I have no clue why.

Upvote 0

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How's your devotional life now compared to what it was when you first believed?
Well when I first believed, the Holy Spirit was guiding me a lot. I couldn't wait to pray and I wanted to read the Bible all the time. I thought of God all the time. I noticed the spark lowered a bit. I noticed I wasn't thinking about him as much and still prayed but it wasn't like before. I prayed about that. God recently revealed to me that I usually run to him during hard times and That I should have to run to him during good times. I seek him more when I feel his face turned. I have to embrace him all the time. It was a tough lesson and I'm not doing as well as I wish.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Any

Jul 4, 2018
New york
✟21,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! I have recently been feeling the same way. I don’t know why I felt angry though, i woke up one day and felt so angry for something that should have not been an issue. Then I started thinking about what people had done to me in the past, but this time it was different because it was like someone was putting a magnifying glass on everything done to me. I also had a strong feeling of giving in to my addiction. I do remember my pastor talking about how God knows we as human beings will mess up. We have the gift of the Holy Spirit that convicts us if we do mess up so we know not to do it anymore. There is also a sermon by Billy Graham about the Prodigal son that reminded me of the unconditional love God has for us. Ask for forgiveness for your sin and stay in constant communication with God.
That's exactly what I'm going through. Thank you. I really have to keep his character in mind. It's hard not to fall into the guiltyish mindset for me.

• Winner
Reactions: Seun
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Anyone have advice?

It isn't about any one thing you are or have been doing.

It's you, it's your new identity in Christ, when we are born again there is a period of time where the Lord carries us just like our Mother did, but there comes a day when we are put down on the ground and we need to learn to crawl, then walk, what you know takes place in the Natural would with a baby, it is no different in the Spiritual world, you need to grow.

You have been in a place where you had a closeness to God, with feelings, now your required to do certain things as a Christian does, not because it feels good, but because that is what Christians do.

If you want to call yourself a Christian,(Believer) then you will be required to walk like one.

There are a lot of things you have learned to do in the Natural which do not fit in the Christian life, these are the things which need to be purged out of your life, God is Pruning the tree called ANY, things which need to be gone for your benefit, these are things you have lived with for years, and your Natural man does not want to let them go (Change) to a certain extent you are still walking in the Flesh, in the Body of Sin Paul called the Old Man, the Flesh.

Don't think something has come upon you which hasn't come upon every Believer, we have all gone through the same things to a more or lesser degree, but your not alone.

Your only being called on to start growing as a Christian.
It's a process of change, from your Old Natural life, to your New, Spiritual life.

Col. 2:6
As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

Rom. 6:4
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Gal. 5:25
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seun
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well when I first believed, the Holy Spirit was guiding me a lot. I couldn't wait to pray and I wanted to read the Bible all the time. I thought of God all the time. I noticed the spark lowered a bit. I noticed I wasn't thinking about him as much and still prayed but it wasn't like before. I prayed about that. God recently revealed to me that I usually run to him during hard times and That I should have to run to him during good times. I seek him more when I feel his face turned. I have to embrace him all the time. It was a tough lesson and I'm not doing as well as I wish.
1 I asked the Lord that I might grow
In faith, and love, and ev’ry grace;
Might more of His salvation know,
And seek more earnestly His face.

2 ‘Twas He who taught me thus to pray;
And He, I trust, has answered prayer:
But it has been in such a way
As almost drove me to despair.

3 I hoped that in some favored hour,
At once He’d answer my request;
And, by His love’s constraining pow’r,
Subdue my sins, and give me rest.

4 Instead of this, He made me feel
The hidden evils of my heart,
And let the angry powers of hell
Assault my soul in ev’ry part.

5 Yea more, with His own hand He seemed
Intent to aggravate my woe,
Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,
Humbled my heart, and laid me low.

6 “Lord, why is this?” I trembling cried;
“Wilt Thou pursue Thy worm to death?”
“‘Tis in this way,” the Lord replied,
“I answer prayer for grace and faith.”

7 “These inward trials I employ
From self and pride to set thee free,
To break thy schemes of worldly joy,
That thou mayst seek thy all in me.”
--John Newton

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums