Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I made her a box yesterday with a super soft fleece blanket in it, but I put it in the corner of the room, since that's what she seems to feel comfortable with right now (it's not far from me, really; the room is not that big). I figure as she gets more comfortable with me and with her surroundings, I can move it closer to me.

Also I have a very nice cat-loving neighbor on the corner who brought over some old toys and an extra bed (!) yesterday, so now she has a bed in my closet, should she choose to use it (her first night she spent a few hours in my closet before I decided that this was not acceptable because she was hiding in an area of it I actually had to access regularly; I didn't put the bed in that same area, but I wanted her to have an option to rest/sleep in the room that wasn't under my bed).

That makes two beds for the cat versus one for the human...no doubt as all cats think it should be. :D

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I made her a box yesterday with a super soft fleece blanket in it, but I put it in the corner of the room, since that's what she seems to feel comfortable with right now (it's not far from me, really; the room is not that big). I figure as she gets more comfortable with me and with her surroundings, I can move it closer to me.

Also I have a very nice cat-loving neighbor on the corner who brought over some old toys and an extra bed (!) yesterday, so now she has a bed in my closet, should she choose to use it (her first night she spent a few hours in my closet before I decided that this was not acceptable because she was hiding in an area of it I actually had to access regularly; I didn't put the bed in that same area, but I wanted her to have an option to rest/sleep in the room that wasn't under my bed).

That makes two beds for the cat versus one for the human...no doubt as all cats think it should be. :D

And just a heads up, but my cat thinks these things are the best thing since sliced bread :

https://www.amazon.com/Hartz-Just-M...ocphy=9008944&hvtargid=pla-355957265708&psc=1

You'll go through many over the course of years as they get stuck under stoves, refrigerators and couches, but they are endless fun for cats.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just time really... little by little she'll come around.

I've had the pleasure of getting cats that were half dead from starvation so their hunger was greater than their fear... that does make things easier.

All in all though, it sounds like your doing everything right. You might try a box with a towel in the bottom of it placed in the living room, make her up a little safe space thats near to you. I did that with our newest kitten. That way he was "safe" but safe in a place where we were until he got used to our sounds and actions.
Your sleep should not affect her. By routine, I mean feeding times, play or cuddle times, the routines and noises of those around you. I’m sure she’ll be visiting in your bed soon to try it out. I don’t recommend encouraging hiding places for her. If she needs space me she can easily slip off somewhere if she needs to for a bit while still being an observer. It may take awhile but as soon as she feels secure things will start to fall together for both of you. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Since she's hiding, give her a good place to hide and feel safe (that's not the kitchen cabinet). She may also want to be under something like a towel or small blanket. Let her keep using the same blanket (and don't bother washing it) so it's hers and smells like her. Try not to poke at her when she's hiding. Keep the food and box near her, even if that's not where you ultimately want the food and box to be. So she can sneak out and use them.

She should slowly get less fearful and venture around more. And be more comfortable with you and your presence. When things seem more stable, you can move the food and box where you want them.

• Informative
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I got my first cat several years ago, I broke it in pretty easily. I'd try mimicking friendly cat behavior. I remember my cat hiding under my bed. I crawled under the bed with some distance away from the cat and I started making meowing sounds and rubbing my head against the carpet.. then I slowly reached my hand to the cat's head and started petting it.. after that it came out from under the bed and wasn't afraid of me anymore.

Of course this depends on the cat. I lucky out and ended up with a very friendly and social cat. Some other cats.. that little stunt might have gotten me bitten and if not declawed a very scratched up face, lol.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
While I don't know a lot about cats, especially scaredy cats who hide under sinks, this guy does, so I reccomend watching some of his videos. Don't get turned away by his style, he really knows his stuff.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So I didn't expect it this early, but I feel like we really had a breakthrough today. She came out of the kitchen cabinet and ran to the bedroom to hide under my bed. I figured I would go in there and see if she was okay (there's nothing dangerous anywhere, but I didn't want her to think that she needed to always be hidden away), and because my bed is relatively low to the ground, I had to basically lay on the floor to get a good look at where she was. Then it was like something clicked. At first she started squirming around on her back while purring, then she very slowly peeked her head out from under the bed and sniffed my arm. Then she licked it once...then she bit my finger...it turns out she really likes biting my fingers, but I think it's a play thing because if I say "ow" she usually stops and licks it as if to show she didn't mean it. It's very sweet. She has some weird quirks and she hates that I have the audacity to have dinner when she would rather I play with her, but man...this is pretty great.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I didn't expect it this early, but I feel like we really had a breakthrough today. She came out of the kitchen cabinet and ran to the bedroom to hide under my bed. I figured I would go in there and see if she was okay (there's nothing dangerous anywhere, but I didn't want her to think that she needed to always be hidden away), and because my bed is relatively low to the ground, I had to basically lay on the floor to get a good look at where she was. Then it was like something clicked. At first she started squirming around on her back while purring, then she very slowly peeked her head out from under the bed and sniffed my arm. Then she licked it once...then she bit my finger...it turns out she really likes biting my fingers, but I think it's a play thing because if I say "ow" she usually stops and licks it as if to show she didn't mean it. It's very sweet. She has some weird quirks and she hates that I have the audacity to have dinner when she would rather I play with her, but man...this is pretty great.
Oh, that’s cute, Dzher. Wonderful! Now you got a new friend! :clap:

• Friendly
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Lots of activity would be good for her I think. Toys and place to climb and place to hide too.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Got her a scratching post and some toys the other day. The scratching post and one of the toys (a little jellyfish on a string) are both a big hit; the rest are meh. Currently she hides in my closet behind some boxes despite the fact that I bought her an awesomely soft bed (seriously, I would sleep in this thing with no hesitation if I were 11 lbs) which I could easily put in that same spot, but it would require removing some of the boxes, and then the "nobody can see me so I'm safe" aspect is gone. Still not sure what to do about this.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Got her a scratching post and some toys the other day. The scratching post and one of the toys (a little jellyfish on a string) are both a big hit; the rest are meh. Currently she hides in my closet behind some boxes despite the fact that I bought her an awesomely soft bed (seriously, I would sleep in this thing with no hesitation if I were 11 lbs) which I could easily put in that same spot, but it would require removing some of the boxes, and then the "nobody can see me so I'm safe" aspect is gone. Still not sure what to do about this.

Isn’t it classic, you buy nice bed and cat is playing with the box and ignoring the bed :D

Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You need a laser pointer now. Seriously though, just recognize the fact that the cat has not got a new master but a new servant. My cat, when he deems it appropriate to visit, expects me to sit and watch him eat. He will follow me around and is very vocal unless I watch him eat. Then he wants out until the next feeding session.

Upvote 0