Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,103.00
Faith
Humanist
What we call the Cambrian explosion is an "explosion" of fossils created by the evolution of animals that would fossilize. It lasted approximately 541 MILLION years. ...

If you want to call this "suddenly and spectacularly" then by all means. Have at it.
Just a little correction, the Cambrian explosion did not last for 541 million years, but it occurred 541 million years ago. The initial "explosive" part lasted for 10-20 million years, which is still a long time. Just sayin'.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You don't need to start at the basics. I used to be a staunch atheist and defender of evolution, until I realized how it's 100% mathematically impossible. I understand the basics. I just disagree with them.

Well if you understand the basics as you say, please explain how you think evolution is "100% mathematically impossible," Saucy.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Well if you understand the basics as you say, please explain how you think evolution is "100% mathematically impossible," Saucy.
since we know that complex objects like a robot cant evolve naturally then we can conclude the same for even more complex objects like creatures.

• Haha
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
since we know that complex objects like a robot cant evolve naturally then we can conclude the same for even more complex objects like creatures.
It's not the complexity of a robot holding it back from evolving naturally. It's the fact that it can't reproduce.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Complexity is not a barrier to evolution.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
so a robot that is able to reproduce doesnt need a designer then?
I don't know, there's no such thing. Your silly stories are irrelevant.

Something with the ability to randomly generate variation and apply it to offspring world be able to develop new forms without a designer... but no such machine exists.

Animal cars and breeding robots... can't you find something real?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

But since you have agreed that animals can do some things that machines cannot do, then the fact that a machine cannot do something(have babies, evolve biologically, etc.) does not prove animals can not do this.

Did you forget that you agreed that animals can do some things machines cannot do?

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
I don't know, there's no such thing. Your silly stories are irrelevant.

Something with the ability to randomly generate variation and apply it to offspring world be able to develop new forms without a designer... but no such machine exists.

Animal cars and breeding robots... can't you find something real?
from a physical perspective a penguin isnt a self replicating robot?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
from a physical perspective a penguin isnt a self replicating robot?
Nope. It's an animal.

A self replicating machine has never been demonstrated. In addition, to use xianghua 'logic', humans built all robots known about... and humans didn't build penguins, therefore they can't be robots.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Nope. It's an animal.

A self replicating machine has never been demonstrated. In addition, to use xianghua 'logic', humans built all robots known about... and humans didn't build penguins, therefore they can't be robots.
so a robot cant be build from organic component?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Doesnt matter.

There is a demonstrable mechanism for biological evolution along with extremely strong evidence that it actually happened.

What more could you possibly need?

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not yet, but as the science of genetic engineering advances I imagine that more and more of our machines will be grown from organic components. Why not robots?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

It wouldn't be a robot.
Dude... even in sci-fi, the word "robot" is no longer used whenever a "robot" includes organic tissue. Robocop, for example, is not called a "robot". It's called a cyborg.

Words have meanings.
When the word "robot" is used, we mean a mechanical device.
Not a biological entity. For crying out loud, even partial biological entities with build in mechanical technology are no longer called "robots".

So why you would think that a FULLY organic "device" would be called a "robot" is.... strange.

But I understand you need to make strange stuff up, just to be able to give the impression that you have some remote point.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It's never been demonstrated.

I suspect even if it becomes possible we'll use different words for mechanical/electronic versus organic constructs.

But the important thing is that organic machines don't exist and there is no evidence that penguins were built, not grown.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Not yet, but as the science of genetic engineering advances I imagine that more and more of our machines will be grown from organic components. Why not robots?

Arguably they'd be called "artificial organisms" if that were the case.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Arguably they'd be called "artificial organisms" if that were the case.
I like Dogma's "cyborgs" better--sounds more sinister and dystopian. But it doesn't matter. This is nothing but another less-than-subtle attempt by Xianghua to sneak sneak in functional complexity as evidence of intelligent design.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0