• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Nervous about Confirmation

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by bellantara, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellantara

bellantara Senior Veteran

+121
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Republican
    :wave: Hi, I'm a new Anglican, due to be confirmed Sunday. I've read the Order for Confirmation in the BCP and I'm scared. I don't think I can stand up and answer all those questions!! :help: :help: Would love some reassurance.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Fairbairn

Fairbairn Transformed by the love of Christ

+49
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    I was confirmed at around your age and I thought that it was a wonderful experience. I can't remember feeling nervous about it - I think the questions require very simple answers from you, unless you are giving a testimony.

At my confirmation, we had it on a Tuesday evening and it was a deanery wide service hosted at my home church. I didn't think that it was going to be a big thing when I went through my confirmation classes, so when I heard the church bells, and walked into a full and buzzing church, it was an amazing feeling. Then that church family had made an effort to come to the service (getting babysitters etc.), and giving me gifts.

I hope your confirmation is as special as mine was.

My eldest will be confirmed next year, DV, and I am going to volunteer to assist in the classes. :)

3. bellantara

+121
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Republican
    Thanks for sharing your memory. It's all new to me (I grew up Baptist), it's the parish anniversary, and I've never met a bishop before!! :)

4. Fairbairn

+49
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    Bishops are very good at putting you at ease :)

5. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    Don't worry about that.
    The slap from the Bishop is the hardest part.

6. bellantara

+121
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Republican
    So my priest tells me. :D

7. karen freeinchristman

karen freeinchristman More of You and less of me, Lord! Supporter

+444
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    How exciting! I was about your age, too, when I was confirmed!

Fairbairn is right about Bishops being good at putting you at ease. I'm absolutely positive it will be a very special day for you.

Let us know how it goes! :)

8. Fairbairn

+49
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    I don't remember any slap...

9. DeoJuvante

DeoJuvante Senior Member

+52
    Catholic
    AU-Greens
    I didn't get slapped. I don't think they do it in Australia - there's no mention of one in our prayer book.

10. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,990
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    No. I don't remember anything about slapping when I was confirmed in England 20 odd years ago either.

11. Tawny

Tawny Senior Contributor

+654
    Anglican
    Engaged
    I was confirmed aged 12. I remember it to be a lovely service and I felt truly renewed after it. Just relax and remember it is personal to you. YOU are confirming your faith In God. You will be fine .

12. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    Some do; some don't.
    It isn't a hard slap anyway. It is symbolic.
    The Call to Christ means we are called to suffer for Him.

13. Fairbairn

+49
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    :confused:

14. karen freeinchristman

+444
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I'm with you, Fairbairn! We don't do the slap around these parts.

15. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    The slap is not important.
    That we will suffer when following Christ is important.
    We are not above our Master.
    The call to follow Christ is hard.

16. Fairbairn

+49
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    I'm sure there's a law against it, especially for our younger confirmands. :)

17. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    Good Lord.
    The Bishop doesn't do it hard.
    The Confirmand is becoming a soilder for Christ.
    The slap is a reminder that this will be hard, but that Christ will strengthen him.
    The Bishop touches the cheek, and says, "Pax tecum!" or "Peace be with you!"

18. karen freeinchristman

+444
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    We will suffer, but we also have great joy. :)

19. Fairbairn

+49
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Conservative
    The bishop didn't speak to me in Latin

20. gtsecc

gtsecc Aspirant

+255
    Anglican
    Of course!
    Christ's joy increases as He proceed on towards the Cross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.