• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Negative Self Talk

dunricky

Jan 15, 2021
Virginia
✟10,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a constant struggle with negative self thoughts I think to myself. I let this hinder me in my career, confidence, communication with family, etc and am wondering if any spiritual guidance or practical tips to help me. I feel this is a constant war going on in my head and I’m at a point in my life I’ve had enough. Sometimes I battle my own thoughts with reminding myself that I have no reason to think these thanks to Jesus and I am more than what I think about of these negative thoughts but that only helps for a period of time.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When i suffered from negative self talk it had to do a lot with the things i done wrong and others said i had done wrong, not what God had to say about me.

When i saw that i understood that negative self talk is a reward for sin real and perceived. So i went to Jesus with all the things i felt bad about within myself and ask Him to show me the truth about myself in Him.

Honest learning to have love for self because Jesus loves us is not self boasting or prideful, like selfish love is, rather to love ourselves with God's love is true love and heals and comforts us where we have been hurt. True love does not talk bad things good, but does remind us of Jesus and His sacrifice to save us from our sins.

i let the love of God rebuild me, no accuser in my mind no longer, just the truth of God and how He has set me free with it.

So go to Jesus in all your wrongs, perceived and otherwise and let Jesus wash you clean and set you free from those horrible spectators in your mind always commenting on you in a negative way. Good riddance of bad music i say.

Peace.

Upvote 0

dunricky

Jan 15, 2021
Virginia
✟10,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When i suffered from negative self talk it had to do a lot with the things i done wrong and others said i had done wrong, not what God had to say about me.

When i saw that i understood that negative self talk is a reward for sin real and perceived. So i went to Jesus with all the things i felt bad about within myself and ask Him to show me the truth about myself in Him.

Honest learning to have love for self because Jesus loves us is not self boasting or prideful, like selfish love is, rather to love ourselves with God's love is true love and heals and comforts us where we have been hurt. True love does not talk bad things good, but does remind us of Jesus and His sacrifice to save us from our sins.

i let the love of God rebuild me, no accuser in my mind no longer, just the truth of God and how He has set me free with it.

So go to Jesus in all your wrongs, perceived and otherwise and let Jesus wash you clean and set you free from those horrible spectators in your mind always commenting on you in a negative way. Good riddance of bad music i say.

Peace.

This is helpful, thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Kyrani

Sep 6, 2021
Cairns
✟14,383.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Widowed
Sometimes I battle my own thoughts
If they were your own thoughts then you wouldn't be doing battle with them. If the ideas are being presented to you mentally, then you might do battle with them.

If we perceive the thoughts as our own, then they carry our authority, which is why we would react to them. If we realize that they are only our perceptions of mentally presented ideas, hateful suggestions, then we know they are bogus.

Yes, telepathy is involved, which requires related people. Science has discredited telepathy by doing all experiments double blinded and that essentially means no relationship. Without relationship there is no mental entanglements and that is essential for ESP and telepathy.

What I would be asking, if I were you, is who in my life is looking to gain power and influence to try and manipulate and control me? Alternatively it may be someone seeking revenge.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a constant struggle with negative self thoughts I think to myself. I let this hinder me in my career, confidence, communication with family, etc and am wondering if any spiritual guidance or practical tips to help me. I feel this is a constant war going on in my head and I’m at a point in my life I’ve had enough. Sometimes I battle my own thoughts with reminding myself that I have no reason to think these thanks to Jesus and I am more than what I think about of these negative thoughts but that only helps for a period of time.

This is how we beat the negativity of the wicked living in us.

Psalms 28
To you, Lord, I call;
you are my Rock,
do not turn a deaf ear to me.
For if you remain silent,
I will be like those who go down to the pit.
Hear my cry for mercy
as I call to you for help,
as I lift up my hands
toward your Most Holy Place.

Do not drag me away with the wicked,
with those who do evil,
who speak cordially with their neighbors
but harbor malice in their hearts.
Repay them for their deeds
and for their evil work;
repay them for what their hands have done
and bring back on them what they deserve.

Because they have no regard for the deeds of the Lord
and what his hands have done,
he will tear them down
and never build them up again.

Praise be to the Lord,
for he has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
and with my song I praise him.

The Lord is the strength of his people,
a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;
be their shepherd and carry them forever.:prayer:

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I get those. A lot. What I do, is offer up my negative feelings to Christ, for others who are suffering these kinds of doubts, and sadness. It at least turns the doubts and sadness into something useful, and at times, lessens those feelings in me, too.

I remind myself that Christ loves me; He died for me. I am not worthless; I am worth something, He did not save me for nothing, and even if all I do is silently pray for people, He will use that. The same is true for you, too, brother.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

This is a struggle many have to some extent. It seems like a battle we have to fight over and over again - and to some extent we do, it may seem like some don't have this struggle but they must be the exception.

There seems to be a little critic inside at times, and there is - this 'inner prattler' has been discussed down through the centuries - When I sometimes set out to attempt something I feel worthwhile - up it pops - or sometimes its literally seems like my own self-talk, or it hijacks my self-talk. I think the best thing is to ignore it as much as possible (and re-direct ones mind to some scriptural promise). But that is not easy because this critical voice seems to stem from the more emotional side of our brain.

Look up some of the scriptures that are about how we are to think of ourselves - eg. "...think of yourself with sober judgement according to the faith God has given you." (Romans 12:3)

Sober judgement means a true appraisal of ourselves in the light of the faith God has given us. Its part of the renewal of the mind that Paul is talking about in Romans 12.

Romano Guardini has written:

"The act of self-acceptance is the root of all things. I must agree to be the person who I am. Agree to have the qualifications which I have. Agree to live within the limitations set for me...The clarity and the courageousness of this acceptance is the foundation of all existence." (The Virtues)​

The inner critic is usually vague and bullying and talks nonsense, those who write on the topic understand it to stem from the more emotional side rather than the rational side of the mind or soul.

Sometimes fear may behind our self-talk.

Another factor I think behind negative self-talk, is the self-esteem movement and some of their teachings - some of these teaching may be counter-productive - a book I mention at the end of my post has some common sense discussion about that. It may seem odd to mention self-esteem teachings, but I actually believe that at least as regards myself the Lord put his finger on some of this for me years ago and identified some of the non christian self-esteem books (ironically one given to me by a christian) as the problem.

I think in my own case I can feel a bit inferior sometimes around others who seem to have it all together. And those are times I become more of an inner critical voice.

But I get what you are saying - this inner critic has hijacked me sometimes.

If you need to work through any self-acceptance issues then you might benefit from seeking out healing prayer.

I recommend Leanne Payne's book : Restoring the Christian Soul - it has a lot of scriptural teaching on self-acceptance.

A secular self-help book called Self-Acceptance by Harry Barry also might be worth taking a look at, it discusses the self-esteem movement and the 'dark side' of self-esteem. It doesn't root the solution in Jesus Christ, but it does have some discussion of the subject of negative self-talk.

Hope something there may be of help to you.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,115.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are not alone OP.

Negative thoughts can overwhelm us.

Turn them over to God. Lay them at His feet. Let Him take control of them.

Try as best you can to turn those negative thoughts into positive ones. However hard that seems. Pray. Be strong. Be positive that God is with you in your struggles my friend.

May God bless you and bring you peace of mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God gave us a tool for fighting our thoughts. We have a flesh- negative, evil that can’t please God- there is probably a constant stream of negative thoughts going thru our minds. We don’t need self love because we can’t control them at times. But God said to take them captive as in 2 Cor10:3-5. Pray to get Gods blessing from it. And changing your thoughts to positive helps too. Go against the flow be positive in spite of how you feel.

• Agree
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Kyrani

Sep 6, 2021
Cairns
✟14,383.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Widowed
God gave us a tool for fighting our thoughts. We have a flesh- negative, evil that can’t please God- there is probably a constant stream of negative thoughts going thru our minds. We don’t need self love because we can’t control them at times. But God said to take them captive as in 2 Cor10:3-5. Pray to get Gods blessing from it. And changing your thoughts to positive helps too. Go against the flow be positive in spite of how you feel.
Fighting our thoughts!!!!! No way. thoughts do not have any volition of their own. They are not in business for themselves. So fighting us and even arising out of the blue is pure psychiatric fantasy. But then they are not evidence based. Or should they are mythology based.
Thoughts arise in one of two basic ways.
1. We call them into Mind for the purpose of thinking, reasoning, imagination etc.
2. We can perceive ideas that are presented to us mentally. That takes related people. If the thoughts are negative, then the 90% or more chance is that the person making the mental presentation is inhumane and seeks to gain some influence over us.
We react to thoughts when we believe them to be of our own thinking. Our own thinking carries our authority. And that reaction can be adverse bodily reactivity if the thoughts were negative. Once we realize that the thoughts are some hateful suggestions, we know that they carry NO authority. They are bogus rubbish so we can reject them.
We have a flesh and bone and blood embodiment but that does not make us evil. Evil is when a person has no conscience and no empathy and thus has utter disregard for others around them.
Those who are humane have self love and it is appropriate to have self love. Self love helps us boot out the negative ideas and the offenders who mentally present those ideas. Their aim is to make you think you are feeling this or that way. It is a manufacture. Realizing this you can walk out of the darkness of the evil ones and enjoy the sunshine of God's love. Simple.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s what taking thoughts captive does, ‘boot out the thoughts. It’s from God. Paul said he did what he did not want to do’ in his thoughts. The sinful nature, sin lives in us, in our thoughts. We have no control of them so we take them captive to keep the flow going and not get hung up on one and get tempted.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Many days I just had to faith it till I made it. I had a lot of this negative self talk and self injured for around ten years. But repetition causes revelation, and in the end I ended up believing the positive things God said about me, then what others and what the father of lies had said about me. Praying for you. Feelings lie. God's Word is Truth.

originals.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums