Need ideas for youth group growth

S

singingduck

I have to say I feel like giving up regularly. Volunteering tons of time, tons of money and tons of love. I can't seem to pass my passion on to even one person. I hear the group is (numbers) not growing. I have fun things and activities where some extra kids come but they don't stay. I don't even have help that is dedicated like I am. How can I show them this is life and death. If I can't make a difference I will move on to another place where I can.:bow:

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
singingduck said:
I have to say I feel like giving up regularly. Volunteering tons of time, tons of money and tons of love. I can't seem to pass my passion on to even one person. I hear the group is (numbers) not growing. I have fun things and activities where some extra kids come but they don't stay. I don't even have help that is dedicated like I am. How can I show them this is life and death. If I can't make a difference I will move on to another place where I can.:bow:

Learn patience. Keep in mind, God has been waiting around for Man a lot longer than you. Till then, be ready, you never know when that opportunity will come. When you only look at numbers, you will miss it.

Upvote 0

asianchexmix

No, I'm not sleeping I just have small eyes
Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
VickiY said:
How do you know you haven't made a difference?

It'll come. Just the little things when you have conversations...they will say that you helped and whatnot. It just comes out. Be patient as someone said above. Also, how often is the YG being prayed for? I noticed that a lot of YG that are established have a lot of prayer. They are being annoited by prayer. Even just have you and the other workers and pastors will be a good start. I know it's very elementary but I think we forget about it because we are too focused on the activities and programs and whatnot. Well, hope I helped out a little bit.

Upvote 0

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,
How big of a group do you have already? I think one of the answers might be not to worry so much about growth right now - because the more it's a priority, the more discouraged everyone is going to feel when it doesn't happen. If it is a smaller group, this is fantastic! What a chance you have to build relationships with the kids that are there.
If doing outreach events isn't bringing kids in, build up the kids you do have and go out. You could do service projects in your city - like cleaning up garbage or giving out hot chocolate, or take some games and hang out at an old folks home or a shelter in town for an afternoon. Before and afterwards regroup. Talk about why you're going it, celebrate all the cool experiences, and have a place to talk about the weird aspects of serving.

It could just be a matter of changing the purpose and expectations of your group.

All the best to you,
D'M

Upvote 0

dancin' moosen

May 7, 2005
Vancouver
✟15,234.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi - It's me again.
I just had one other thought. If you are really interested in doing outreach events with teens - start by going to them. Go to their football games. I knew a youth pastor that got involved in the local highschool by volunteering as a basketball coach. If you have those opportunities, take them!

If you have some youth already, go with them to events (games, concerts, whatever) and treat them afterwards to shakes or ice cream or something. Keep it simple. Get to know your youth's friends. And when they are invited out to things, they might be less hesitent since they already know you as someone who is a part of their world.

Sorry if my suggestions are way out in left field. I'd love to hear more about your situation, then maybe we could offer some more realistic ideas???

Upvote 0

jeriko

Dec 7, 2005
New Jersey
✟7,732.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not have any answers. God has the answers! He has called you to be where you are for a very specific reason. I want to encourage you. You are there by His appointment. He is using you, and He will use you in the future.

Be faithfull in the rain, be faithful through the drought. I can guarantee that only the Lord will cause a seed to grow. we may sow a million seeds in a years, but not one will grow untill the Lord says "GROW"

Hang on and don't hang it up. Let me give you an example from my life.

I taught Senior High Sunday School for thirteen years. I always came prepared, I spent a lot of time praying for them and God to impact their lives. I sweated, I struggled, I fought. It seemed all to no avail. I could not see anywhere in anyones life I had poured myself into any significant turn toward God. I quit teaching when I was called into the youth ministry at another church.

I found out later that a few students from my class accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior. It didn't happen while I was there, but they all attribute it to the Lord and my being their SS teacher.

I am not bragging about my ability, but encourageing you to realize that God is moving and working especially when we cannot see Him at all. He grows the seeds.

My friend, my brother in Christ and service, just sow the seed. Scatter it as much as you possibly can, and pray that He grows a great crop. That is all you can do.

He is working
He is active
You are not alone
He will use you

Upvote 0

asianchexmix

No, I'm not sleeping I just have small eyes
Dec 22, 2003
Virginia
✟16,105.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm adding on and reread your situation. Don't move on first of all. Unless God specifically says to move on, don't move on. God placed you there and maybe He is trying to teach you patience. In the book Purpose Driven Youth Ministry (which I highly recommend to all YM teachers, leaders, pastors, etc.), it says that don't expect change quickly. It could take years and years for you to see change. Just have this mentality, if you change ONE person's perspective of God...you did your job. Sometimes the role of us is not to change the crowd, but to change one person. It's true what jeriko says...you may even be planting the seeds and the growth could be later. Just keep fighting and I completely understand since that is the situation I am in with my church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums