Nicole T

Nov 6, 2014
✟16,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been married 28 years. I will do my best to make this brief. I need advice - I feel I need to end my marriage for my sanity. After 28 years, I am not sure where to begin.

We did not have a Christian marriage until we both came to Christ during a separation. I came to realize during our separation that my husband was lying to me during the first 15 years of our marriage. He wanted out of the marriage from nearly the first year, but he hung in there (I think because he did not want to face a divorce). We had 3 children, and I always felt he thought they were an obligation. He had fun with them when they were little, and clearly resented them as they got older. I grew to resent him a lot. All this time (by his own admission) he had never chosen our family over his parents and so, there was tremendous tension. His mother is a gossip and manipulative. She gossiped and lied about me to the entire family and continues to do so today.

My husband, before we separated, chased women. I only suspect one affair in that time - mostly inappropriate flirting, and I know he had an affair beginning at the time of our separation. During all that time he professed is love for me and confusion as to why I was so unhappy. Kept saying he wanted our marriage, that he loved me, etc. He was sleeping with another woman.

We came to Christ, me first then him, sought counseling and have been reconciled for 5 years. In the time leading to our separation, one of the woman he chased was an old girlfriend. He traveled to her city (which was a place he often went for work, so I had no idea), met with her, talked about what could have been, exchanged sentimental emails and songs, etc. I don't believe he had an affair with her. As it happens, she now works for the same company - it is very large - and my husband is the head of her region. She is 4 levels below him and part time. He has no professional reason to interact with her. About a year ago, she tried to link to him on Linkedin and I as, as a kindness to me, that he decline the request. He said fine.

Now, people lying to me and trying to get away with stuff is a theme in my life. Everyone does it - my kids, my family, my husband's family, my husband - and I have had enough. A week ago, after I saw a too-familiar text from a woman and a text from my MIL telling my husband "don't tell Marilyn we talked about this" (which he kept from me), I told my husband I felt deceived. He now admits that at the time, he thought I was talking about the ex-girlfriend, but what he did was tell me that no one lies to me, he loves me, we have a good marriage, he was sorry I was upset, etc, but never told me about the ex-girlfriend interaction.

Last night, I found out my daughter was manipulating me, and it made me, again, feel like everyone was lying to me. There was still, after all, the unfinished business of the inappropriate texts that had never been resolved or confess - I still knew nothing about the ex-girlfriend. I was upset, and after a long time, my husband finally told me about the ex-girlfriend, but swears there is nothing else to confess. I know he is lying. He professed is love for me and confusion as to why I was so unhappy. Kept saying he wanted our marriage, that he loved me, etc. It all sounds familiar.

This morning I told him I could not live this way. What do you think?

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you have not forgiven and that you still can't trust. I grew up with manipulation and abuse, almost lost our marriage to inappropriate content addiction, now my kids are doing the manipulation and abuse thing (some of them) I get what you mean and how you feel and all, but I also know from experience that when that is all you have known, you can see it there when it is not.

One of the things that my husband and I had to learn is how to be painfully honest with each other. You know, nothing held back...this is how I feel, this is what I think and if it hurts you I am sorry, that is not what I am trying to do, but we have to know what this is doing to one another...the end result of that is that we are learning not only to forgive daily, but to trust each other. In fact, the last few weeks have been very difficult for me. I have allowed the evil that people are doing convince me that I should never say anything (literally, become a mute) I told my husband this and apologized every time I spoke. He on the other hand, understood why I felt that way and not only voiced that but asked me not to do that with him because that wasn't coming from him but from the world around us and the negative people in our lives. When I read your post, that is what I saw in your husband. Him getting caught in the middle of some evil and you taking it out on him just like I did on my husband. I could be wrong, that is just what I saw when I read your post. Learn to forgive, learn to trust your husband and if he proved to be untrustworthy with Christ, challenge him on it. Learn to grow together unto the righteousness of Christ.

May you see clearly that which God has for you. May you learn to separate truth from lies and in that, hold only to the truth. You are a beloved child of the King and that is the highest honor that we can have bestowed upon us. (talking to another friend about similar things today, it's a bigger problem than you might think)

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, to be honest, I think you have legitimate concerns. I also think that due to the sheer volume of things, you're mixing things together that ought not be mixed together, and allowing yourself to be overwhelmed.

The level of honesty you ought expect from your husband is different than the level of honesty you ought expect from your children, etc. It gives me concern that you say that "everyone is being dishonest with me" and you're lumping stuff together like your husband's contact with other women (which should be giving you a lot of pause) with things like your daughter not being completely forthright with you about things (which is arguably par for the course).

I mean, I think about my relationship with my folks. I don't know how old your daughter is, but there were times when my folks got far less than the truth from me. I had my own agendas - and I let them know however much "truth" I needed to in order to get what I wanted. Most kids I see are like that. It's par for the course, and with my own kids, I'm going to be extra vigilant about watching how things are going because that's what I *expect* will happen.

Your husband, though, has a different type of obligation to you and a different bar he needs to meet.

Honestly, if I was in your boat the first thing I would try to do is to get enough emotional distance from the situation as possible by making those kinds of distinctions. It sounds like you're in the mindset of "There's deceit everywhere!"...and it's getting to you. The truth is - there's always going to be some deceit somewhere. The question is - if you cull the normal stuff out - are you experiencing extraordinary deceit?

So long as you look at everything on equal footing you're just going to be overwhelmed and lack ability to look at things objectively.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
EZoolander makes some good points. Children are going to lie -- that's a given. Adults should not be lying so much (family), and your husband not at all. I don't know how much I believe this, but I've heard it said that we teach people how to treat us. To me, that means that as long as you put up with the lying (talking specifically about your husband) he'll keep doing it. He doesn't seem to be trustworthy, so it's natural that he'd lie about his "indiscretions" to be able to keep acting that way. It may be that he really does love you, but that he's unwilling to fully commit himself to you. So he acts out with other women and shields you from that so that you won't get hurt or so that you won't leave him.

Seems to me that you have to take control of the situation and demand that he stop communicating with other women and that he totally invest himself in you. This is a behavioral change that must take place and not just a verbal commitment. Only after months of seeing this changed behavior would I consider starting to trust him. If he won't do it, though, I'd consider some sort of separation to show him that you're serious about it.

Upvote 0

live4Christ2016

Apr 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
✟16,335.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your feelings are valid and you feel as if you can't trust anyone close to you. Your kids will lie to you...that is what kids will do as kids. You let them know you don't approve of their lying, but at the end of the day if they are getting older you have to put them in God's hands. As for your family...what sorts of things are they lying about? If it's petty things let it roll and ignore. If it is your mother n law lying...ignore and let God deal wi her. As for your husband....it might be time to separate once again. He should be honest with you about everything. Money, bills, where he is, what he does and with whom. A lying husband would hurt me far worse than my kids, and families. If your husband is lying and you have proof it might be time to separate from him again. If you feel he is cheating you have every right to leave him.

Upvote 0