Nebuchadnezzar took credit for the Tower of Babel?

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting video I've come across.

Seems they've found a small privately owned tablet that has emerged that has both drawings (carving) and writing on it. It claims Nebuchadnezzar was the one who erected the Tower of Babel which is depicted as a Step pyramid.

NOTE: The video is only 4 minutes long, I have quoted a few things here from it, but it only takes a few minutes to view it yourself and see the tablet.

Was this one of Nebuchadnezzar's building projects, did he rebuild the Tower of Babel in Babylon?

Does this mean that it was still in existence during his time?

They said the tablet dates to the 6th century BCE but don't explain how they dated it to that time. Discovered, they say in Babylon over a century ago.

This land was known by Babylon, Land of Shinar, and Mesopotamia in the Bible, but is now modern day Iraq which comes from the ancient word, Uruk.

The professor in the video says that part of the writing (in cuneiform) says 'Etemenaki- tower of Babylon', but is that the same as the tower of Babel? They say the writing tells of the construction of said tower and how they went about building it.

The highlighted drawing shows the side view of the tower and the foundation view above it with King Nebuchadnezzar II standing to the right side.

Some of the text he reads to say that "From the upper sea (Mediterranean) to the lower sea (Persian Gulf) the far flung lands and teaming peoples of the habitations are mobilized in order to construct this building."

Then the narrator says: "Incredibly this ancient account is identical to the biblical story of how the tower of Babel was constructed. For scholars the tablet offers further proof that the tower of Babel wasn't just a work of fiction it was an actual building from antiquity."

Isn't it funny that:
1. They mention Nebuchadnezzar as a real entity but fail to mention that he is mentioned in that 'work of fiction, the Bible' over 90 times!?
2. The Professor designated the upper sea and lower sea as the Mediterranean and Persian Gulf which is strange since Babylon (Mesopotamia) is said to be the 'land between two rivers'.
3. The NatGeo narrator says that this account on the tablet is "Identical to the biblical story of how the tower was constructed" when in fact it is quite the opposite. The story on the tablet has the people gathering to construct it but the story in the Bible (the true account) has the people all gathered in one place after the flood and lead by Nimrod to build this tower. It was for this reason that they were scattered.

Of note for those who don't know, Nebuchadnezzar became King in 604bce.
He reigned/ruled 43 years until 561bce. and was succeeded by his son Evil-merodach

The tower of Babel dates to approx 2,000 bce

Could Nebuchadnezzar be a descendant of Nimrod who would try and raise the tower again just as some say Saddam Hussein was the descendant of Nebuchadnezzar and tried to do the same thing?

And speaking of the video why would NatGeo be interested in the Tower of Babel which they said was in the Bible but 'could it be based on truth?".

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,864.44
Faith
Messianic
The way I understand it, the Tower of Babylon was built in Mesopotamia which area Nebuchadnezzar ruled over. Was remnants of the tower in existence along with the story for Nebuchadnezzar to identify with?? Good question. It was famously rebuilt by the 6th-century BCE Neo-Babylonian dynasty rulers Nabopolassar and Nebuchadnezzar II. Saddam even wanted to get into the act recently with his attempt.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The way I understand it, the Tower of Babylon was built in Mesopotamia which area Nebuchadnezzar ruled over. Was remnants of the tower in existence along with the story for Nebuchadnezzar to identify with?? Good question. It was famously rebuilt by the 6th-century BCE Neo-Babylonian dynasty rulers Nabopolassar and Nebuchadnezzar II. Saddam even wanted to get into the act recently with his attempt.
You didn't read the whole OP, did you ;)

Could Nebuchadnezzar be a descendant of Nimrod who would try and raise the tower again just as some say Saddam Hussein was the descendant of Nebuchadnezzar and tried to do the same thing?

The more I read up on Nimrod the more I would say 'yes' to your question; it's actually more than likely that he was trying to emulate Nimrod and carry on his god-like rule over the whole earth.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0