Navy will make all sailors reaffirm their oath to the Constitution as it fights extremism i

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A good first step, but I doubt if it would deter the sort of terrorists who attacked the U.S. Capitol.

When the Navy holds its daylong stand-downs to address the extremist ideologies that leaders say have infiltrated the military ranks, sailors across the fleet will be required to reaffirm the oath they took to the US Constitution.

All Navy personnel — uniformed and civilian — will have to repeat the oath of enlistment or office and discuss what actions betray that promise during the virtual or in-person learning sessions that must be held by April 6. The stand-downs will focus on the "damaging effects of extremism" and how to eliminate it, Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. John Nowell wrote in a service-wide message.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A good first step, but I doubt if it would deter the sort of terrorists who attacked the U.S. Capitol.

When the Navy holds its daylong stand-downs to address the extremist ideologies that leaders say have infiltrated the military ranks, sailors across the fleet will be required to reaffirm the oath they took to the US Constitution.

All Navy personnel — uniformed and civilian — will have to repeat the oath of enlistment or office and discuss what actions betray that promise during the virtual or in-person learning sessions that must be held by April 6. The stand-downs will focus on the "damaging effects of extremism" and how to eliminate it, Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Adm. John Nowell wrote in a service-wide message.

Do people honor oaths anymore?:scratch:

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do people honor oaths anymore?

As a veteran, I can tell you, most men and women serving, see it as a sacred trust. But there are exceptions like Mike Flynn, who is a disgrace to the uniform.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Should Christians be taking Oaths without stating the proviso that they will only be followed as conscience as dictates.

They should never take an oath they aren't prepared to uphold. There is no conflict between God and an oath to the Constitution.

God tells us to serve those set above us. And for Americans, that's the Constitution.

Upvote 0

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As a veteran, I can tell you, most men and women serving, see it as a sacred trust. But there are exceptions like Mike Flynn, who is a disgrace to the uniform.
I agree that it is a sacred trust, but those who give orders can act outside the constitution or take actions that are outside the Geneva convention or send troops to places without proper Senate approval as if what I have read about actions post 7-11 is true.
I have a nephew in the Royal Navy and if I thought that he was being sent unlawfully I would strongly object. All oaths are provisional on them being valid under the law of country and God : therfoe conscience.
In Love
Jay Sea

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

Jay Sea

Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They should never take an oath they aren't prepared to uphold. There is no conflict between God and an oath to the Constitution.

God tells us to serve those set above us. And for Americans, that's the Constitution.
Is the constitution a perfect document or does it not get amended from time to time through the constitutional court?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is the constitution a perfect document or does it not get amended from time to time through the constitutional court?

So the Bible says to obey those set over us, only if they are perfect? No, that's not what it says. And there is no "constitutional court" that amends it. Only the people can do that.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree that it is a sacred trust, but those who give orders can act outside the constitution or take actions that are outside the Geneva convention or send troops to places without proper Senate approval as if what I have read about actions post 7-11 is true.

Hence the oath to obey lawful orders in defending the Constitution.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmm....I wonder if the Navy will emphasize that part about all enemies both foreign and domestic in their requirements?

Do people honor oaths anymore?:scratch:

Most military personnel do. Congressmen, judges, and various governmental functionaries do not.

God tells us to serve those set above us.

So the Bible says to obey those set over us, only if they are perfect? No, that's not what it says.

So the Bible told people in Germany to serve and obey the Nazis when they were in power? Hmmm.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Congressmen, judges, and various governmental functionaries do not.

I notice the radical right and white nationalists have blown a fuse because most Congressmen, judges, and various governmental functionaries (including most republican functionaries) did honor their oaths to the Constitution.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hebrews 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

So the Bible told people in Germany to serve and obey the Nazis when they were in power? Hmmm.....
I'm pretty sure that's not what God meant. As you know, the Constitution is that which is set over us, not any particular person, unless authorized by the Constitution. We are a nation of laws, not of men.

I'm aware that you swore that oath at least once, and IIRC, you upheld it honorably.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Democrats are suggesting our Navy can’t be trusted. The Democrat Defense Secretary has ordered them to reaffirm their oath. He said “extremists” will be rooted out. They’re insinuating our sailors aren’t loyal.

Why don’t they start at the top and have the congresspeople, the DoJ, the Supreme Court all reaffirm their oaths first. Democrats are filling their ranks with communists, and can’t be trusted. We should worry about them.

One can’t help but wonder if they don’t want to cleanse the service of anyone who would vote for a Republican.

The false ‘systemic racism’ narrative has taken over the navy. That is evident in the Pledge they have to take. It’s a far-left pledge which took the place of the original. It’s absolutely shocking.

One line reads: “I pledge to advocate for and acknowledge all lived experiences and intersectional identities of every Sailor in the Navy,” it says.
There is always two sides to an issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jay Sea

Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From some articles I have read I understand that the government needs to declare war before troops can be sent to engagements overseas. Has the US declared war on all locations in which it is engaged. If not is any oath by service personnel valid?

In LOve
Jay Sea

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From some articles I have read I understand that the government needs to declare war before troops can be sent to engagements overseas.

Hmmm... not at least from 1801. The government of Tripoli engaged in piracy in the Mediterranean, and demanded tribute from governments to protect their shipping. The U.S. initially paid, but when demands became excessive, refused. Tripoli then declared war on the United States. Jefferson didn't bother getting a declaration of war against what he considered to be mere pirates, raised the money to build a fleet, and sent them to deal with Tripoli.

A number of U.S. victories, capped by a raid on the port of Tripoli to destroy a captured US frigate, followed by an effective blockade of the city, led to a treaty favorable to the United States.

Further actions in the Caribbean and Central America followed. So there's a lot of precedent for such action.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The false ‘systemic racism’ narrative has taken over the navy. That is evident in the Pledge they have to take. It’s a far-left pledge which took the place of the original. It’s absolutely shocking.
What was the original pledge?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From some articles I have read I understand that the government needs to declare war before troops can be sent to engagements overseas. Has the US declared war on all locations in which it is engaged. If not is any oath by service personnel valid?

In LOve
Jay Sea

The Korean "Police action" - research it - troops sent for engagements before it was a war.

The Vietnam conflict: The Vietnam War centered on the desire of North Vietnam to create a unified communist government in the country. South Vietnam's leader, President Ngo Dinh Diem, canceled elections concerning reunification and was denounced by the leader of North Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh. The conflict escalated, and South Vietnam signed a treaty with the United States in 1961 for military and economic aid.

Iraq: War was never declared, however congress passed the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002, which gave the United States the legal basis to invade Iraq.

Operation Desert Storm - never declared war -

I believe you are mistaken.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Oath of Enlistment isn't changing. The pledge is a separate pledge. Here is the complete pledge.

As a key member of Task Force One Navy I will invest the time, attention, and empathy required to analyze and evaluate Navywide issues related to racism, sexism, ableism, and other structural and interpersonal biases. I pledge to be actively inclusive in the public and private spheres where I live and work, and proactively encourage others to do the same. I pledge to advocate for and acknowledge all lived experiences and intersectional identities of every Sailor in the Navy. I pledge to engage in ongoing self-reflection, education, and knowledge sharing to better myself and my communities. I pledge to be an example in establishing healthy, inclusive, and team-oriented environments. I pledge to constructively share all experiences and information gained from activities above to inform the development of Navywide reforms.TF1N PLEDGE

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jan/26/2002570959/-1/-1/1/TASK FORCE ONE NAVY FINAL REPORT.PDF

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Oath of Enlistment isn't changing. The pledge is a separate pledge. Here is the complete pledge.

As a key member of Task Force One Navy I will invest the time, attention, and empathy required to analyze and evaluate Navywide issues related to racism, sexism, ableism, and other structural and interpersonal biases. I pledge to be actively inclusive in the public and private spheres where I live and work, and proactively encourage others to do the same. I pledge to advocate for and acknowledge all lived experiences and intersectional identities of every Sailor in the Navy. I pledge to engage in ongoing self-reflection, education, and knowledge sharing to better myself and my communities. I pledge to be an example in establishing healthy, inclusive, and team-oriented environments. I pledge to constructively share all experiences and information gained from activities above to inform the development of Navywide reforms.TF1N PLEDGE

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jan/26/2002570959/-1/-1/1/TASK FORCE ONE NAVY FINAL REPORT.PDF

And what was it before?

Upvote 0