• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

National Depression Week in the United Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaMike

Mar 10, 2005
Denver, CO & South Beach, FL
✟7,664.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello -- While I live in the U.S., I was asked this week to write the following essay for use here and there in the U.K. I thought I would share it here.

God bless you all.

Mike Broemmel

Reflections on Depression:

National Depression Week 2005

United Kingdom

by Mike Broemmel

Inasmuch as I am a writer with some work distributed by a European publishing house, I follow events throughout Europe, including within the United Kingdom. (Indeed, in the mid-1980s I was fortunate enough to live in London.) In any event, with National Depression Week drawing to a close, I wanted to share a few thoughts and experiences with those men, women and children suffering through the ravages of a depressive illness and with other people so that there may be a better understanding of this dread disease.

Oddly, this morning as I contemplated an essay on the subject of depression, I paid a brief visit to an Internet website hosted by my European publisher. There was a discussion of public book readings in which I previously had taken some interest. Posted within the discussion, and intended to be a humorous interlude, was a blip making light of public drunkenness, alcohol use as a crutch and, by extension, alcoholism itself. Certainly, the remarks were made by an ungracious person. But, this does not change the fact that these remarks were made and continue to be made by unenlightened people the world over.

What I had the misfortune to read this morning helps to underscore the added burden men, women and children with debilitating illnesses such as depression and alcoholism face each and every day. As anyone actually suffering from depression clearly understands, in most cases those people afflicted with a depressive illness self medicate with mind-altering substances such as alcohol or other drugs of various sorts. And, thus is created a vicious circle that, in many instances, results in death. A reader of this article must always keep in mind that depression is a fatal illness unless properly treated. (As an aside, depression and alcoholism are responsible for more deaths in the world, directly and indirectly, than any other disease. Just as a kind, thoughtful human being would not make light of breast cancer, so should such a person frown on making fun of diseases such as depression and alcoholism.)

In order to work to overcome the prejudices associated with depression, I believe that it is important for people who have battled the illness to share their personal experiences. I take a moment today to do so in hopes that someone somewhere might glean a bit of hope from my own story.

On Oct. 18, 1999, I was admitted to the Menninger Clinic's Professionals In Crisis -- Addiction Recovery Program following the formal intervention of friends and colleagues. At the time, the Menninger Clinic was one of the two top rated hospitals of its kind in the United States. Examining my situation in retrospect, I can say without any reservation whatsoever that had I not been admitted to Menninger that day, I would not have been alive to celebrate the new year. I most certainly would have died, most likely at my own hands.

During the course of my two month inpatient stay at Menninger, I was diagnosed as suffering from chronic alcoholism, severe depression and a generalized social anxiety disorder.

In considering my hospitalization, it is important for me to point out that my life, until the few years subsequent to my lapse into alcohol abuse and depression, was blessed. Simply put, I always had a good life. I mention this, and do provide some details, to underscore the fact that what occurred in my own life can rear its head unexpectedly in almost any person's life at any time.

I was born in 1962 and was adopted into a loving and supportive home. My younger years were generally pleasant and successful. Upon turning 18 years old and leaving home for college, my life continued on a positive course. I excelled academically graduating summa cum laude. I was the president of my class and editor of the college newspaper. My first real position of employment was at the White House in the Office of Media Relations and Planning during the administration of President Reagan.

I eventually entered law school. I graduated with honors and went on to work in a number of different positions of significant responsibility, becoming very active in politics in the United States along the way. I eventually was a candidate for public office..

I had the privilege of participating in the work of a number of important not-for-profit programs and agencies in the United States. My involvements included a seven-year stint as president of one of the largest not-for profit agencies in the Midwestern United States, a six-year term of service as president of the board of the Arts Council and work with a variety of other agencies, programs and projects. Interestingly, I served on the boards of two agencies that provide services to individuals afflicted with mental illnesses. Of course, in working with these agencies, I never envisioned that I would one day end up being a desperate consumer of mental health services.

I mention this personal, professional and volunteer history to underscore the fact that I lived a most productive and useful life, generally directed to assisting others and bettering the lot of the community.

The deterioration of my mental health rendered my own professional and personal life a disastrous situation. During the three years that preceded my hospitalization, my depression continued to grow worse without any relief whatsoever. My reliance on liquor became more severe, rendering me addicted to alcohol in order to exist. If I was lucky, I was able to sleep three or four hours a night. My ability to communicate with and relate to other people was ruined. I was incapable of rational thought.

Ultimately the clinical depression became so overwhelming that I was unable to leave my home. At that point in time, death seemed to me to be the only avenue by which I could escape the wicked grip of depression.

Fortunately, at that critical juncture I was blessed by two sets of circumstances: First, I had in my life a set of truly concerned and loving friends and family members who intervened and assisted me in getting meaningful professional assistance. Second, I had in my life the ability to be admitted into the Menninger Clinic. Following my admission into Menninger, I spent a total of 10 weeks hospitalized as an inpatient. Thanks to the superior staff of professionals at Menninger, my life was spared. While I was left to confront some significant challenges that exist in my life due to my incapacity before my hospitalization, including unfathomable legal problems, I was granted a second chance at living a productive and healthy life.

As National Depression Week draws to a close, it is important for all of us to take a moment to truly understand and appreciate the serious nature of the disease of depression. More importantly, it is vital that people everywhere understand that diseases such as depression and alcoholism are no laughing matter and those afflicted with these illnesses deserve respect and consideration.

Mike Broemmel is a writer living in the United States. His most recent books are “The Shadow Cast” and “The Miller Moth,” both available in the United Kingdom and throughout the European Union and the rest of the world.

Reactions: puppy
Status
Not open for further replies.