Nancy Pelosi warns GOP that a Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency

Logic Over Emotionalism

2 boys & 2 girls (new baby girl born 12/1/18)
Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warned Republicans on Thursday that a future Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency.

"You want to talk about a national emergency? Let's talk about today," Pelosi said, referring to the first anniversary of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 dead on Feb. 14, 2018.

She said the shooting was "another manifestation of the epidemic of gun violence in America."

"That's a national emergency. Why don't you declare that an emergency, Mr. President? I wish you would," she said. "But a Democratic president can do that. A Democratic president can declare emergencies as well."

Pelosi warns GOP that a Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If this ever did happen I think the Democrats would have a serious wake up call.

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787
True. But what can pop guns do against nukes? Cruise missiles? tanks?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi warned Republicans on Thursday that a future Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency.

"You want to talk about a national emergency? Let's talk about today," Pelosi said, referring to the first anniversary of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 dead on Feb. 14, 2018.

She said the shooting was "another manifestation of the epidemic of gun violence in America."

"That's a national emergency. Why don't you declare that an emergency, Mr. President? I wish you would," she said. "But a Democratic president can do that. A Democratic president can declare emergencies as well."

Pelosi warns GOP that a Democratic president could declare gun violence a national emergency
I wonder if she thought about the fact there is this little thing called the 2nd Amendment that a president would have to deal with....Pelosi simply likes to pander to emotionalism instead of working through issues in an intellectual process.

Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. But what can pop guns do against nukes? Cruise missiles? tanks?

Do you really think they would nuke their own families. I have a brother who works with the Nukes on a base. You can bet if fighting happened he would disarm them rather then it being used against his own family. Tanks the same thing. Plus some of our military personnel are 1% bikers and similar groups that will fight for this right. So with a warfare on American land they would have to destroy the whole country to win.

• Agree
Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The point is that using an emergency to bypass Congress is a really bad precedent.
And that could be...when the Senate dems bypassed the Senate 60% rule for approving judges to jam Obama nominations through it has come back to bite them big time and Mitch McConnell warned them at the time that it would. No one party is in power forever. Trump needs (and has needed) to take his position to the people and have them pressure their congress critters. Unfortunately, and to his fault, he failed to do so in the last election and we end up with a divided legislature....that one is on him. He needs to take the TR action of using the presidency as a 'bully pulpit'. People don't really listen when a congress critter speaks but they do when the president speaks.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you really think they would nuke their own families. I have a brother who works with the Nukes on a base. You can bet if fighting happened he would disarm them rather then it being used against his own family. Tanks the same thing. Plus some of our military personnel are 1% bikers and similar groups that will fight for this right. So with a warfare on American land they would have to destroy the whole country to win.
I think it is a possibility. And the mere threat of it may be enough to deter such an insurrection.

Yes it would destroy the country. We destroyed Afghanistan looking for the taliban, and we did not even use nukes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point is that using an emergency to bypass Congress is a really bad precedent.
Big difference in protecting our country from people coming in illegally and that of disarming citizens. Plus with the Insurrection Act with the National Emergency Trump can get this done. But on disarming citizens it goes against our protected rights.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Big difference in protecting our country from people coming in illegally and that of disarming citizens. Plus with the Insurrection Act with the National Emergency Trump can get this done. But on disarming citizens it goes against our protected rights.
Pelosi gave just one example, and possibly not the best.

I agree that changing confirmation of judges was a similar mistake. But let’s not make another one.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Exactly. What could the Democrats consider to be a "national emergency?" Climate Change? The Green New Deal? Racism? Health care? Student loans?

The purpose of a national emergency isn't so that the executive can bypass congress and appropriate funds that they outright refused to appropriate.

"Emergencies have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded" - Hayek

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a Democratic President should declare a national emergency and require everyone with a gun to join a well regulated militia.

I kid. Seriously, though, a Democratic President could institute plenty of gun control without running too far afoul of 2A.

There are also plenty of other “emergencies” to consider like health care and climate change.

Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is a possibility. And the mere threat of it may be enough to deter such an insurrection.

Yes it would destroy the country. We destroyed Afghanistan looking for the taliban, and we did not even use nukes.

I think thats doubtful. As many like me would rather see the country burn then see our freedom that so many died for get taken away. Plus many groups have been waiting for this to happen. Also bikers that I hang out with wouldn't tolerate it either. The taliban is still alive and kicking showing that a war with conventional weapons can be just as effective as the tanks and missiles of our military.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And it also makes one very hypocritical President too.

Twitter users react to national emergency plan, point to 2014 Trump tweet

DyWTOg0WoAEXnnW.jpg

Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe a Democratic President should declare a national emergency and require everyone with a gun to join a well regulated militia.

I kid. Seriously, though, a Democratic President could institute plenty of gun control without running too far afoul of 2A.

There are also plenty of other “emergencies” to consider like health care and climate change.

Probably because The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia.... Source below:

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

• Agree
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married