Apr 15, 2005
USA
✟49,434.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
revrobor said:
I've lurked in this catagory for a long time but have never joind in because we never seem to discuss much of substance. But having spent more than a quarter of a century in the movie theatre business I couldn't resist this thread.

"Singing In The Rain" is one of my all-time favorite films. I believe Gene Kelly (and Fred Astair, who is not in this film) are the two best dancers Hollywood ever produced. Gene was an athletic dancer and Fred was more graceful. In "Singing In The Rain" Donald O'Connor was able to keep up with Gene in everything they did together. And when they danced together Debbie Reynolds was able to keep up with both of them. Debbie is the only one who survives and has her own club in Vegas. I believe Hollywood is missing the boat by dropping the musical format.
Glad to see you. We love seeing your input. I love the Singing In The Rain too;They just don't make movies like that anymore. Revrobor.... you would be a great asset to the Golden Eagles. ...day:)

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
revrobor said:
I've lurked in this catagory for a long time but have never joind in because we never seem to discuss much of substance.

That reminds me of Mac :D Ya see, Mac is another male Golden Eagle here who usually posts when we are discussing something "sensible." ^_^

Of course, we quickly reassured Mac that "sensible" wasn't part of the equation. :D This is a place we can let our hair down. Or feathers down, whatever the case may be. :D

Btw Rev:

wge3.jpg

Upvote 0

keeptrying

Save a Life....Spay and Neuter!
Jun 4, 2005
North Carolina
✟7,775.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
birdfriend said:
I saw The Egg and I again a few years ago. It is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and, to think, it was based upon real happenings. :thumbsup:
Do tell more birdie, I didn't know that.

Upvote 0

keeptrying

Save a Life....Spay and Neuter!
Jun 4, 2005
North Carolina
✟7,775.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
revrobor said:
I believe Hollywood is missing the boat by dropping the musical format.

:thumbsup: I agree but I wonder who Hollywood would pick to be the stars, the likes of Jessica Simpson and Brittany Spears? No thanks.

revrobor, you mention being in the industry, would you care to share more? I'll bet you have some interesting stories to tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
keeptrying said:
:thumbsup: I agree but I wonder who Hollywood would pick to be the stars, the likes of Jessica Simpson and Brittany Spears? No thanks.

revrobor, you mention being in the industry, would you care to share more? I'll bet you have some interesting stories to tell.

Well, since you asked, I was born into the industry. My father was a projectionist from 1916 until just before his death in 1977. During his career he saw many changes in the industry: motor driven projectors (he used to hand crank them), sound, color, CinemaScope, 3-D, stereo sound and I saw some of those changes with him as I started professionally following in his footsteps in 1950 right out of high school. I also owned and operated three theatres before I left the business in 1971. I returned to the industry last year as a manager for Regal Cinemas but had to leave after the better part of a year because I had developed plantar fasciitis (damaged foot tendons) and couldn't take the constant walking in that ten screen theatre.

I noticed a lot of technical changes in the business like automation, xenon lamps, digital sound and the use of a "platter" system for the film. (That means an entire feature and the coming attractions are all spliced together and laid on the side where it is fed through a projector. The purpose of this is to keep labor costs down.) Theatres no longer require a full-time projectionist. Other staff members are trained to thread the projector and push the "start" button. From there the automation takes over and turns down the house lights (in my theatre it even closed the doors) and at the end of the film the automation brings up the house lights and turns off the projector.

Other changes I've noticed over the years is the profanity, violence and nudity (not art nudity but sexual nudity) that some producers seem to love to load their films with and the public's tolerance for it.

BTW, if you've ever wondered why is costs so much to buy goodies in a theatre these days it's because the film companies are now taking 50 to 90% of the box office gross and the only place a theatre can make any money is at the concession stand. So don't come down on the theatre owners - get on the film companies.

That looks like enough for now. Thanks for asking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.