United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Part 4
In 1 Corinthians, Paul tells us that the Gospel, though foolishness to those who are perishing, is the wisdom and power of God. For Christ has been made 'our righteousness, holiness, and redemption.' Here, Paul is simply picking up a recurring Old Testament Gospel announcement. For instance, we read in Is.61:10: 'I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness.' Jeremiah prophesied of Christ, 'In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The LORD Our Righteousness.' Christ does not merely infuse me with righteousness; he is my righteousness. This is the meaning of the animal skins with which God clothes Adam and Eve and the robe that the father places over the prodigal son. And yet, this is precisely what Rome denies: God cannot, we are told, judge me to be righteous while I am unrighteous simply by transferring Christ's righteousness to me. But this is precisely what Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Paul are arguing.

But it is in Paul's letter to the Galatians where one finds the apostle's magisterial defense of the Gospel in the crucible of controversy. It is especially relevant in view of the fact that the church fathers themselves offered contradictory views on the way of salvation. In his epistle to the Corinthians, Clement, Bishop of Rome just a few decades after Paul's letters to the same church, wrote, 'So we too who by his will have been called in Christ Jesus are justified not of ourselves nor through our own wisdom or understanding or piety, nor yet through anything that we have done in purity of heart, but through that faith through which almighty God has justified all men from the beginning, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.' Justin Martyr, John Chrysostom, and other Fathers concur. The Fathers said some good things and some bad things, but always sent us directly and finally back to Scripture.

If a prominent church founded by the Apostle Paul could fall so quickly into a false gospel of works-righteousness, we should not be surprised at the confusion of the early church. 'I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even is we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!'

Paul describes his public controversy with Peter, which would have been a rather remarkable thing had Peter been the first infallible pope. But Peter did, in the end, come around and in his own letters acknowledged Paul's writings as Scripture. If Peter could be corrected by Scripture, one would have hoped that those who claimed to be his successors might have imitated him. In fact, Peter himself declared that there is a heavenly inheritance reserved in heaven for those 'who through faith are shielded by God's power' and assures his readers, 'you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls' (1 Pet. 1:5). Peter opens his second epistle with the greeting, 'To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours.' In Galatians, Paul declares that 'by observing the Law no one will be justified...for if righteousness could be gained through the Law, Christ died for nothing.' The apostle could not have been more aggravated: 'You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you?...All who rely on observing the Law are under a curse...Clearly no one is justified before God by the Law, because 'The righteous will live by faith.' The Law is not based on faith; on the contrary.' In Rome, one is justified by faith and obedience, but for Paul, justification by faith is contrary to justification by obedience. For the next several chapters, Paul labors this contradiction. 'So that Law was put in charge to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith,' he declares in 3:24. After having been freed from the bondage of legalism, 'How is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles?' he wonders in astonishment. 'You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen from grace.'

The famous passage in Ephesians 2:8, 9 could not be clearer: 'For by grace you have been saved, through faith, and none of this is of yourselves; it is all the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.' It is by grace through faith, not of works! This parallels Paul's statement in Romans 11: 'For if it is by grace, it is not of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.'

To Timothy, the Apostle writes, 'God has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace' (2 Tim.1:9). God has called us to a holy life, to be sure, but this is the goal, not the cause, of our justification. Our opponents will say that whenever Paul refers to 'works' or 'law' as contrary to faith, he is referring to the ceremonial law of the Old Testament, but here we have one of many obvious examples that Paul intends to exclude all works by saying that it is 'not because of anything we have done.' Surely that includes all works, ceremonial or moral. It is by faith alone.

In the Scriptures and throughout church history, proponents of this view have been charged with opening the door to loose-living. It was the Apostle Paul himself who realized the full impact of this Gospel when, after announcing that 'where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more,' he anticipated his readers' shock: 'What shall we say, then? Shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound?' His answer, and ours, is 'Heaven forbid! How shall we who have died to sin live any longer in it.' We do not deny regeneration and sanctification, we simply do not regard this as the basis for our acceptance before a holy God. While the Apostle Paul knew that the Gospel he preached would raise the objection that this would lead to loose-living, Rome has never had to worry about this accusation concerning the gospel she proclaims.

Why would we 'hunger and thirst after righteousness' if it is already imputed?, one may ask. It is precisely because it is already imputed that we hunger and thirst after obedience to God in gratitude for our redemption. It is similar to asking why a foster child would want to obey if he is already adopted. We are sons, not slaves; we serve God out of gratitude, not fear of judgment or hope of rewards. Tell me that I have to sufficiently love God and my neighbor before I can enjoy God's favor and the last thing I will want to do is love God. What I must hear if I am to end my war against God is that he forgives the wicked. He makes sons out of his enemies. He declares those to be righteous who in themselves cannot love God and their neighbor. Then I will lay down my weapons and accept the truce.

In Protestant theology, 'salvation' is a broad word, encompassing not only justification, but election, atonement, regeneration, sanctification, adoption, and final glorification. In these debates, a recurring error on the Roman Catholic side is to assume a false antithesis: Either the Bible teaches that justification and sanctification are identical or the Bible teaches that there is no such thing as sanctification. This debate, therefore, is not over the question of whether God renews us and initiates a process of gradual growth in holiness throughout the course of our lives. 'We are justified by faith alone, but not by a faith that is alone,' Luther stated, and this recurring affirmation of the new birth and sanctification as necessarily linked to justification leads one to wonder how the caricatures continue to be perpetuated without foundation. For instance, in the magazine published by Catholic Answers, This Rock, Leslie Rumble (April, 1993) makes the astounding claim concerning Luther that the German Reformer denied that a change takes place in the person who is justified. 'He remains exactly as he was before' and the believer is never transformed. This demonstrates a remarkable lack of familiarity with the Protestant position. We affirm conversion and the life-long process of growing in sanctifying grace.

This is why we do not find a problem with James, although Roman Catholics find great problems with the rest of Scripture on this subject. For Paul, speaking to new converts who have been steeped in legalism and paganism, the content of the Gospel is uppermost. For James, addressing believers who gloried in what they called 'faith,' but did not seem to think that works were a necessary consequence of saving faith, justification was a matter of making your claim to being justified stand up in a court of law. For Paul, the court of law is God's and it is heavenly; for James, it is man's and it is earthly. For Paul, the fact of justification is in view; for James, the proof of justification is the concern. Therefore, when James declares that faith is dead if it is alone, how could one object? Luther himself said that we were justified by faith alone, but not by a faith that is alone. This is James' point: Anything that you call faith that does not love or serve is not really justifying faith, but is 'dead.' Of course, this faith-- 'dead' faith, cannot save anybody. Only living, active, working faith is the genuine article. However, it is not the fruit of faith that justifies. It does not justify in acting, working, loving, or serving, but in believing and receiving Christ's gift of righteousness. The faith that Paul described is not the faith the James sees in those antinomians who thought that faith was nothing more than an assent to certain facts.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That was awfully long. My main disagreement doesn't seem to be what you think. I don't accept the Catholic model. I believe we are justified as an undeserved gift by God. However I think it happens the way Paul says: our faith is reckoned as righteousness. I note that this does not mean that faith is some new and superior work. Rather, faith is what makes us Christ's, and God justifies everyone who is in Christ, because Christ died for us.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That was awfully long. My main disagreement doesn't seem to be what you think. I don't accept the Catholic model. I believe we are justified as an undeserved gift by God. However I think it happens the way Paul says: our faith is reckoned as righteousness. I note that this does not mean that faith is some new and superior work. Rather, faith is what makes us Christ's, and God justifies everyone who is in Christ, because Christ died for us.

I beg to differ. I believe you just skimmed over it, which is fine. I on the other hand read everything I can get my hands on. So, that I can grow in knowledge and defend the truth. In that article Horton does a outstanding highlighting that old debate of what saves: which is Faith or Faith and Works! This has been the central debate for centuries. Horton highlights Catholics Fathers who believe and taught that we are saved by Faith Alone! Until corruption set in and destroyed the CC. Traditions of men became supreme even over Scripture; Gospel of Christ! So when I hear or read threads or posts, perverting this Gospel, I defend it with Scripture and share it with everyone. Because even our faith is a Divine Gift from God!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Now, back to D.G. Dunn, he believes that believers have to merit a 'Final Justification' through their Obedience to obtain Salvation. Which is in-line with Medieval Thinking (Rome).

What Is Justification? Infusion or Imputation, Process or Declaration?

In the Roman system, as we have seen, justification is sanctification. Through baptism, we are renewed and by cooperating with grace infused we merit final justification.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Dunn wrote many things, and I haven’t read them all. However I have read a chapter on final justification in his book “New Perspectives on Paul.” I don’t think merit is anywhere near what he meant. There are many passages in Paul warning Christians about the possibility of failing, and also a number talking about judgement in accordance with our works.

Indeed it’s kind of standard for Pauline scholars to say that Paul teaches justification by faith and judgement according to works. This comes as a surprise to people who have read only about justification by faith, but it's normal Protestant theology. The question is what according to works means. Here's a summary of many attempts to deal with this apparent paradox: https://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/52/52-2/JETS 52-2 323-339 Ortlund.pdf.
Here's a reference from Ligonier that, after rejecting a caricature of what Wright says on the topic, ends up affirming what Dunn says: A Future Justification Based on Works? by Cornelis Venema A key quote is from a Puritan writer: “By the righteousness of faith we are acquitted from sin [justified], and by the righteousness of works we are acquitted from hypocrisy” (I find Wright's statements on the topic a bit hard to follow. I assume he agrees with Dunn, but I can't be absolutely sure.)

Dunn sees justification by faith as applying to the final judgement as well as our current status, so there's no question of actual merit. He has a section looking in detail at the Greek, and concludes that many statements about justification by faith are actually referring to final justification.

So how do works fit in? He suggests two ways in which works might be involved. The first is 1 Cor 3:10 ff, in which there is a judgement by works for those who are in Christ. It’s a purification but not a rejection. The second is based on the many warnings against falling away, e.g. 1 Cor 6:9 ff, as well as passages saying that God judges everyone impartially based on what they do. The point is that there are certain patterns of behavior that are not consistent with the faith. Most people who believe in justification by faith will still look at people who commit certain sins and say that they can’t be Christian, so whether this fits their theory or not, it’s consistent with how they actually operate. I believe this approach is common among Lutherans, whether Luther believed it or not.

Neither of these things implies a judgement based on merit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Dunn wrote many things, and I haven’t read them all. However I have read a chapter on final justification in his book “New Perspectives on Paul.” I don’t think merit is anywhere near what he meant. There are many passages in Paul warning Christians about the possibility of failing, and also a number talking about judgement in accordance with our works.
I beg to differ with you on D.G. Dunn. Because if you read the Catholic Churches confessions, they teach that a sinner is only saved by Grace Alone! Until one reads the fine print. A sorta bait and switch.
Indeed it’s kind of standard for Pauline scholars to say that Paul teaches justification by faith and judgement according to works. This comes as a surprise to people who have read only about justification by faith, but it's normal Protestant theology. The question is what according to works means. Here's a summary of many attempts to deal with this apparent paradox: https://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/52/52-2/JETS 52-2 323-339 Ortlund.pdf.
Here's a reference from Ligonier that, after rejecting a caricature of what Wright says on the topic, ends up affirming what Dunn says: A Future Justification Based on Works? by Cornelis Venema A key quote is from a Puritan writer: “By the righteousness of faith we are acquitted from sin [justified], and by the righteousness of works we are acquitted from hypocrisy” (I find Wright's statements on the topic a bit hard to follow. I assume he agrees with Dunn, but I can't be absolutely sure.)

Yes, the Puritans succumbed to the errors of Rome. That a believing sinner can merit his/her Salvation? Then why have too die? Why did he have to be born of the flesh at all? Why did Christ have to suffer? My issue with people saying that works are the cause, is that they take Christ out of the equation! If we can do it ourselves with a little nudge; or God only helps those who helps themselves. Where is the good news for the 'UNGODLY'?
Dunn sees justification by faith as applying to the final judgement as well as our current status, so there's no question of actual merit. He has a section looking in detail at the Greek, and concludes that many statements about justification by faith are actually referring to final justification.

I am curious, please, show me where I can find this final justification stage in Scripture?
So how do works fit in? He suggests two ways in which works might be involved. The first is 1 Cor 3:10 ff, in which there is a judgement by works for those who are in Christ. It’s a purification but not a rejection. The second is based on the many warnings against falling away, e.g. 1 Cor 6:9 ff, as well as passages saying that God judges everyone impartially based on what they do. The point is that there are certain patterns of behavior that are not consistent with the faith. Most people who believe in justification by faith will still look at people who commit certain sins and say that they can’t be Christian, so whether this fits their theory or not, it’s consistent with how they actually operate. I believe this approach is common among Lutherans, whether Luther believed it or not.

Neither of these things implies a judgement based on merit.

You make no mention of the Promise God made with Adam, Eve, and Abraham! Or the curse of the Law for sinners! This is what your theology lacks, IMHO.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
James D.G. Dunn​

James Dunn is perhaps the most accomplished NT scholar of the NP on Paul circle. In his recent comprehensive study of Pauline theology, he dedicates a large section to justification. Early in this section, Dunn pays his respects to E.P. Sanders and notes that readers of the NT have long been guilty of reading Luther--His struggles, his theology, and the Reformation debates he spawned--into Paul. Sanders broke important ground in understanding Judaism, but a better understanding of Paul in light of his Jewish context is still necessary.

Dunn views interpretation of Paul's phrase 'the righteousness of God' as the obvious lace t begin his analysis of justification. He contrasts the understanding of righteousness in the "Greek worldview" as an ideal for measuring action with its meaning in "Jewish thought" as a relational concept. Though the former represents the usual approach to interpreting Paul's use of the term, according to Dunn, Paul in fact understood righteousness in its Hebrew sense. Specifically, Dunn claims that Paul's "righteousness of God" denotes God's faithfulness to His people, His fulfilling the obligations He made in creating the world, calling Abraham, and choosing Israel to be His people. Dunn states, in fact, that Paul could take it for granted that both Jewish and Gentiles readers of his epistles would understand his language along these lines. From this point, Dunn launches his initial salvo on justification itself, concluding that this perspective renders much of the Reformation-era disputes on the doctrine "pointless." The concern is not whether God makes people righteous (as in Roman Catholicism) or reckons them righteous (as in Protestantism); instead, the concern is his faithfulness: "The covenant God counts the covenant partner as still in partnership, despite the latter's continued failure. But the covenant partner could hardly fail to be transformed by a living relationship with the life-giving God." Furthermore, Paul's teaching on the initiative of grace in justification was not polemic against Pharisees or Judaizers, but "was simply a restatement of the first principles of his own ancestral faith."

If Paul was not making arguments about how one is made right with God, but commending the essential teaching of his Jewish heritage on this point, what exactly was he striving against and what fault did he see in those seeking to be justified by "the works of the law"? Dunn points to the importance of understanding the nature of Paul's conversion and asserts that Paul was converted "from measuring righteousness primarily in terms of covenant distinctiveness, and from a competitive practice within Judaism which sought to outdo other Jews in the degree and quality of its Torah-Keeping." In other words, Paul reacted against Jewish attempts to use the law to exclude Gentiles and exalt their own status as God's people. When Paul's criticism of the law is understood in terms of its "boundary-defining role, that is, as separating Jew from Gentiles," it becomes apparent that his doctrine of justification served "as Paul's attempt to explain why and how Gentiles are accepted by God and consequently should be accepted also by their Jewish fellow believers." Paul's sharp attacks on the works of the law, then, were not attacks on good works done to attain righteousness before God, as Protestant exegesis traditionally contends. Contemporary Jewish theology did not teach this anyway, as Sanders had shown. The phrase the works of the law came to have a negative sense in Paul as that by which Israel protected its "privileged status and restricted prerogative." Particularly important among these works of the law were things such as circumcision, Sabbath keeping, and clean/unclean distinctions, which most clearly distinguished Jews from gentiles. Hence, the works against which Paul warns were Israel's misunderstanding of its law: using the law to distinguish Jew from Gentiles, forcing Gentile Christians to adopt Jewish distinctives, and failing to appreciate God's promise to bless the nations.

Toward the end of his section on justification in Paul, Dunn brings his various lines of analysis together and presents his conclusions on the subject. Some of the things he says are, taken by themselves, consistent with the Reformation's understanding of justification. But, as Dunn himself has already made clear, he thinks that Paul had something else in mind, and his conclusions are certainly different in important respects from the Reformation's. Perhaps Dunn's most thorough summary of Paul's doctrine of justification by faith is this:

"It was a profound conception of the relation God and humankind---a relation of utter dependence, of unconditional trust. Human dependence on divine grace had to be unqualified or else it was not Abraham's faith, the faith which God could work his own work. That was why Paul was so fiercely hostile to the qualifications which he saw confronting him all the time in any attempt to insist on works of the law as a necessary accompaniment of or addition to faith. God would not justify, could not sustain in relationship with him, those who did not rely wholly on him. Justification was by Faith, by Faith Alone."

The emphasis on the importance of unconditional trust and utter dependence on grace in Paul's view of justification is of course familiar to those accustomed to Reformation teaching. Yet Dunn's divergence from Reformation is evident here not only in his speaking of justification as the sustaining of a relationship with God, but also---and even more striking---in his complete removal of the work of Christ, in his active or passive obedience, from this description of justification. This is perhaps what one would writer who claims that Paul's conception of individual salvation was a restatement of his pre-Christian, Jewish religion, yet the absence of Christ and His Atoning work as the object of faith and the source of Grace is remarkable!

Further on, Dunn speaks of justification in Paul as "acceptance by God." Though ambiguous, such a notion is not necessarily at odds with Reformation teaching. Dunn, however, again separates himself from traditional Protestant doctrine by recalling his previous claims about the righteousness of God. He derides the "Greek" (read Reformation) understanding of God's righteousness as a law-court metaphor implying "abuse of legal process or a legal fiction." Acceptance by God in justification is not God judicially treating the ungodly as if they were innocent, for in the courtroom there is no place for forgiveness. Instead, along "Hebrew" lines, God graciously decides to continue the relationship that the other covenant partner has breached. In other words, God simply forgives, without the need for justice to be satisfied. To summarize Dunn's conclusions, then, justification in Paul is not a once-for-all completed act, is not ultimately a judicial/forensic concept, and is not based upon the imputation of Christ's obedience!

Hope this helps???

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In this thread: The Gospel
it was stated that N.T. Wright has "departed orthodox beliefs". OTOH.....I believe it's more a matter of mainstream Christian theology that is changing - and causing it to appear that Wright is embracing beliefs that are "new".

I wanted to open up discussion here and not carry the original thread off course.

Here is a link to Wright's page: Imagining the Kingdom: Mission and Theology in Early Christianity

If you believe Wright is heretical in his beliefs, please point out how (specifically).
He is not yet a heretic, but his views regarding the Atonement of the Cross, and especially his new Pauline perspective is really off track!

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He is not yet a heretic, but his views regarding the Atonement of the Cross, and especially his new Pauline perspective is really off track!

Well, N.T. Wright's rejection of the two Covenants: Grace & Works, and the imputation of the Active/Passive Obedience of Christ is a perversion of the Gospel of Christ that Paul preached. So by this he is a false teacher.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, N.T. Wright's rejection of the two Covenants: Grace & Works, and the imputation of the Active/Passive Obedience of Christ is a perversion of the Gospel of Christ that Paul preached. So by this he is a false teacher.
yes, he is also very arrogant, as he believes that he is the one that really knows what Pauline Justification is, as the reformers and others missed it since the time of paul Himself!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Faith allows us to tie into the very basis of our salvation, as its the person and work of Jesus that saves, the object of our faith, and not faith itself!

• Winner
Reactions: ladodgers6
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
He seems to be wanting to have the Church of Rome and Anglicans come together so badly again that he is adopting a false theology trying to appease both sides!

Upvote 0