Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
republican said:
Well you never know it could be another nucke plant being built or elecrity plant for an upcomming nuke plant you never know until more details come in.
So instead of going "Hey, lets build this nuclear plant in that open field right there", they went "Hey, lets blow up that mountain and build a nuclear plant on it, because we rock"

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Somehow I have my doubts on North Korea's claims. I mean, would a demolition ever really cause a mushroom cloud? Does anyone on here have knowledge in the area of demolition who would know if this sort of thing could cause a mushroom cloud? :scratch:

Upvote 0

republican

Sep 4, 2004
✟16,476.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You never know I guess it is one of those things that is between our CIA and government and N korea. But I think something is up like always over their in crazy r us country. I wonder do we have anybody on these forums that live over their right this minute?

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Vegeta7286 said:
I don't trust them...when do demolitions cause mushroom clouds? :scratch:
I agree that they they are lying to us.

In truth, any explosion if it large enough. An explosion large enough would be counter productive for demolition and it would be difficult to clean up the mess.

Upvote 0

Teh Wiccan

The Balance Of Passion
Jul 28, 2003
Visit site
✟534.00
Faith
Pagan
The surprising thing is from the article...
"American and South Korean officials immediately played down the possibility the cloud was evidence of a nuclear weapons test, with one U.S. official telling CNN it was "no big deal" and could be from a forest fire."

I have yet to see a forest fire cause a mushroom cloud, or for that matter. My big question, someone please answer this...

Why is the administration playing this down when it is obviously a nuke?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tenacious-D

Jul 26, 2004
✟424.00
Faith
Anglican
Teh Wiccan said:
The surprising thing is from the article...
"American and South Korean officials immediately played down the possibility the cloud was evidence of a nuclear weapons test, with one U.S. official telling CNN it was "no big deal" and could be from a forest fire."

I have yet to see a forest fire cause a mushroom cloud, or for that matter. My big question, someone please answer this...

Why is the administration playing this down when it is obviously a nuke?

Can we have some reality here.

Large explosions can cause mushroom clouds, it just depends on the dynamics of the blast. There is nothing special about the mushroom shape.

The North Koreans do not have nuclear weapons.

If there was a nuclear blast it would have been detected as such by it's thermal signature from satellite. There is a network of satellites that the US has specifically for this purpose.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Tenacious-D said:
Can we have some reality here.

Large explosions can cause mushroom clouds, it just depends on the dynamics of the blast. There is nothing special about the mushroom shape.

The North Koreans do not have nuclear weapons.
Well, that's the part we don't know. Just stating it isn't good enough. It's true that other things can cause mushroom clouds, but when you throw in other factors (ie NKorea has been actively seeking a nuke for years and years), there's plenty of reason to doubt your unsubstantiated, conclusory assertion.

If there was a nuclear blast it would have been detected as such by it's thermal signature from satellite. There is a network of satellites that the US has specifically for this purpose.
So what? This part of the argumement needs a whole lot of development. Why would we think the government would release the satellite date, for example? It seems, not just plausible, but likely that the US would keep any evidence it has a secret out of national security concerns.

Upvote 0

Tenacious-D

Jul 26, 2004
✟424.00
Faith
Anglican
We know they don't have nukes.
You also are basically implying the US government is covering up which also means by now the Japanese government or Russian governments are covering it up because at least either one of those would by now have detected airborne radioactive debris. I haven't see any reports of this.

It's a much bigger unsubstantiated conclusion to think that N. Korea has a nuclear capability and whatsmore at least one and up to 3 or 4 governments are in on a cover up.

Overall chances this was nuclear are effectively zero.

(Oh and I didn't even mention seismic recordings in S. Korea, Japan, China & Russia as well as the US & UK which all would have the capability to detect this)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We know they don't have nukes.
What a compelling argument.
You also are basically implying the US government is covering up which also means by now the Japanese government or Russian governments are covering it up....I haven't see any reports of this.
Um......If it's being covered up for the moment, that might explain why you haven't seen any reports of it. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for a news release like 'We're currently covering up data that indicates N. Korea tested a nuclear device.'

Would governments temporarily not disclose information that would radically change the regional geopolitical balance in order to frantically discuss the situation among themselves? I'm thinking probably.

Upvote 0

Tenacious-D

Jul 26, 2004
✟424.00
Faith
Anglican
You ignored the other very salient points.

Seismic data
Airborne particulates

Between these two you have up to 6 or 7 nations capable of knowing the yes/no as to was this nuclear.

Sorry don't buy a cover up of this magnitude, especially from the South Koreans.

And if you know anything about nuclear weapons there are very compelling reasons why N. Korea does not have them.

Upvote 0

albez

Sep 13, 2004
Leicester
✟173.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

armed2010

Jul 13, 2003
California
✟4,182.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0