• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

N Korea cloud was demolition

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by republican, Sep 13, 2004.

1. republican

republican Well-Known Member

+44
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Republican
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. armed2010

armed2010 Well-Known Member

+128
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Why would it be for the nuclear plants?

3. Vegeta7286

Vegeta7286 Old School Saiyan

+23
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    I don't trust them...when do demolitions cause mushroom clouds? :scratch:

4. republican

+44
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well you never know it could be another nucke plant being built or elecrity plant for an upcomming nuke plant you never know until more details come in.

5. armed2010

+128
    Atheist
    US-Others
    So instead of going "Hey, lets build this nuclear plant in that open field right there", they went "Hey, lets blow up that mountain and build a nuclear plant on it, because we rock"

6. republican

+44
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Republican
    No you just never know but I think as the US and the UN talk with N korea they will come down with some agreements.

7. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

+1,544
    United States
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    Somehow I have my doubts on North Korea's claims. I mean, would a demolition ever really cause a mushroom cloud? Does anyone on here have knowledge in the area of demolition who would know if this sort of thing could cause a mushroom cloud? :scratch:

8. republican

+44
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Republican
    You never know I guess it is one of those things that is between our CIA and government and N korea. But I think something is up like always over their in crazy r us country. I wonder do we have anybody on these forums that live over their right this minute?

9. kermit

kermit Legend

+777
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I agree that they they are lying to us.

In truth, any explosion if it large enough. An explosion large enough would be counter productive for demolition and it would be difficult to clean up the mess.

10. Teh Wiccan

Teh Wiccan The Balance Of Passion

+12
    Pagan
    The surprising thing is from the article...
    "American and South Korean officials immediately played down the possibility the cloud was evidence of a nuclear weapons test, with one U.S. official telling CNN it was "no big deal" and could be from a forest fire."

I have yet to see a forest fire cause a mushroom cloud, or for that matter. My big question, someone please answer this...

Why is the administration playing this down when it is obviously a nuke?

11. armed2010

+128
    Atheist
    US-Others
    I wouldnt say its "obviously" a nuke. It happend close enough to a missile base that I think it could have been a huge accident.

12. burrow_owl

burrow_owl Senior Contributor

+370
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If you dropped the ball this badly, wouldn't you try to play it down?

13. Tenacious-D

Tenacious-D Member

+11
    Anglican
    Can we have some reality here.

Large explosions can cause mushroom clouds, it just depends on the dynamics of the blast. There is nothing special about the mushroom shape.

The North Koreans do not have nuclear weapons.

If there was a nuclear blast it would have been detected as such by it's thermal signature from satellite. There is a network of satellites that the US has specifically for this purpose.

14. burrow_owl

+370
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Well, that's the part we don't know. Just stating it isn't good enough. It's true that other things can cause mushroom clouds, but when you throw in other factors (ie NKorea has been actively seeking a nuke for years and years), there's plenty of reason to doubt your unsubstantiated, conclusory assertion.

So what? This part of the argumement needs a whole lot of development. Why would we think the government would release the satellite date, for example? It seems, not just plausible, but likely that the US would keep any evidence it has a secret out of national security concerns.

15. Tenacious-D

Tenacious-D Member

+11
    Anglican
    We know they don't have nukes.
    You also are basically implying the US government is covering up which also means by now the Japanese government or Russian governments are covering it up because at least either one of those would by now have detected airborne radioactive debris. I haven't see any reports of this.

It's a much bigger unsubstantiated conclusion to think that N. Korea has a nuclear capability and whatsmore at least one and up to 3 or 4 governments are in on a cover up.

Overall chances this was nuclear are effectively zero.

(Oh and I didn't even mention seismic recordings in S. Korea, Japan, China & Russia as well as the US & UK which all would have the capability to detect this)

16. burrow_owl

+370
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Democrat
    What a compelling argument.
    Um......If it's being covered up for the moment, that might explain why you haven't seen any reports of it. If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for a news release like 'We're currently covering up data that indicates N. Korea tested a nuclear device.'

Would governments temporarily not disclose information that would radically change the regional geopolitical balance in order to frantically discuss the situation among themselves? I'm thinking probably.

17. Tenacious-D

Tenacious-D Member

+11
    Anglican
    You ignored the other very salient points.

Seismic data
    Airborne particulates

Between these two you have up to 6 or 7 nations capable of knowing the yes/no as to was this nuclear.

Sorry don't buy a cover up of this magnitude, especially from the South Koreans.

And if you know anything about nuclear weapons there are very compelling reasons why N. Korea does not have them.

18. albez

albez New Member

+1
    Christian
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3653990.stm
    ...and right at the moment I think anything that would make Bush look tough on rogue states would be used. So why not this?

19. armed2010

+128
    Atheist
    US-Others
  20. albez

albez New Member

+1
    Christian
    Huh? People still don't know that yet?;)