Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently, nature abhors a vacuum, and in the passing of Zig Ziglar a new Christian finance guru has risen to take his place.

Description: In this video Myron Golden talks about the 4 levels of wealth: the implementation level, the management/unification level, the communication level, and the imagination level. He explains what income can be expected at each of the levels and talks about going from one level to another.

This model, in my opinion, reflects our current reality with the internet more than Biblical Principles. This may serve as a good introduction to Myron's thinking.

Description: Myron Golden defends his business from his detractors who claim that he is a prosperity Gospel preacher. He goes back to the book of Genesis to defend himself, talking about gold in the Garden of Eden and Abraham's wealth as examples. He also translates Proverbs 22:29 as "Do you see a person skilled in his business? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure people." to defend the idea that Christians are supposed to own their own businesses.

Basically I am seeing some iffyness with Myron's content:

1. He's claiming the name of Christ and using the authority of Scripture to back up points about wealth and starting a business. It's clear that's he has an agenda of trying to help people earn more money in order to sell them expensive courses and events, and that can drive him into eisegesis. Merging spiritual objectives and worldly ones may not work very well.

2. Myron's wealth is from selling his ideas of biblical wealth and prosperity, which is making his ideas circular.

3. He keeps talking about the example of Genesis, Abraham, and the Garden of Eden over and over again. If his ideas were sound, I think I would see him digging out more proofs from more sections of the Bible. While he does venture into the Ecclesiastes and Proverbs occasionally, I don't think he's fully considering the whole counsel of Scripture. I think the book of Job, as well as the fact that Christ lived most of His ministry in a state of poverty, are serious dents in his ideas.

I think this man may know a thing or two about business and he appears to be a practicing Christian, but I think the way that he's mixing his two areas of expertise (apparently he also has a theology degree and knows how to read Hebrew) is not really the best decision and it's causing him to compromise his knowledge.

Thoughts? I think the man is well intentioned, he just may not be going about what he is trying to do in the best way.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Myron has more in common with Myles Munroe than Ziglar though he had similar hardships, was a late bloomer and excellent communicator much like the latter. While I'm conversant in each you may find Wayne Malcolm is a better starting point. Myron had him on in the past and he walks you through the message with supporting scriptures and slides.

In my opinion, it's better to be grounded in kingdom teachings and what it implies -- our responsibility as followers of Christ -- and discern your assignment afterward. Sometimes you discover it beforehand but the omission of understanding of the other will hasten your progress. Which doesn't set aside the reality that spiritual teachings are layered and adjustments are required as knowledge and understanding increase.

Myron is an excellent resource for specific persons. The same holds true for the others. You can glean nonetheless but application requires other tools in tow. Most notably, aptitude, spiritual gifting and commitment. We will not ascend beyond the Lord's barometer.

If you were led to him set aside your reservations and work through his content prayerfully. You will discover much if you're willing. You may want to look at the videos with Russell Brunson (ClickFunnels CEO) for clarity's sake. The messages at the start of the year (titled 2023, 2024, etc.) are equally insightful.

For what it's worth, financial/business topics are very lucrative on YouTube. It's telling that he doesn't take sponsorships which pay on top of the latter. Which suggests he doesn't need them and derives income elsewhere. Which is important. YouTube content creators are independent contractors. It should be a tool in one's arsenal not the whole in its entirety.

All business must sell. Whether it's a product or service. At the very least you'll discover how to do that and put something in place that will enhance your circumstances which is the goal.

~bella

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
2. Myron's wealth is from selling his ideas of biblical wealth and prosperity, which is making his ideas circular.

I've been wondering for a long time that inspirational speakers and financial influencers probably make a lot more money from their content creation work, large following, and promotion other people's means of revenue/products than actually following their own financial advice.

Because it seems to me exposure to risk with such work/business can be potentially low if you possess half decent social skills, ability to connect with people and already have a large network of friends.

3. He keeps talking about the example of Genesis, Abraham, and the Garden of Eden over and over again. If his ideas were sound, I think I would see him digging out more proofs from more sections of the Bible. While he does venture into the Ecclesiastes and Proverbs occasionally, I don't think he's fully considering the whole counsel of Scripture. I think the book of Job, as well as the fact that Christ lived most of His ministry in a state of poverty, are serious dents in his ideas.

That's a big red flag for a prosperity preacher. Ironically there's even preachers better at hiding their prosperity gospel doctrine.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been wondering for a long time that inspirational speakers and financial influencers probably make a lot more money from their content creation work, large following, and promotion other people's means of revenue/products than actually following their own financial advice.

The most important component for anyone desiring to aid others in that manner (with Christ in mind) is an ability to communicate, solve problems and instruct others. You can have the best personality and a plethora of friends. But if you can't provide solutions, troubleshoot or help people move the needle you won't be around too long. Encouragement has its place as does motivation. But results speak loudest.

The people who benefit most from motivational speakers are those who don't require cajoling to act. Many believe they're ready to change and prepared to do the work.

The majority are unwilling to admit their lack of readiness. Which perpetuates an endless cycle of starts and stops as they move from one guru to the next. Self-deception is the largest contributor to their wealth. They buy the tapes, books, enroll in courses and attend events without ever asking what they've done with the resources they've acquired thus far.

In most instances there's a gateway teaching available to all and additional ones which require prerequisite experience, earnings, etc. to weed out time wasters and provide participants with the best experience possible. You see this frequently in masterminds.

~bella

• Informative
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In most instances there's a gateway teaching available to all and additional ones which require prerequisite experience, earnings, etc. to weed out time wasters and provide participants with the best experience possible.
But that is called college. :p Welcome to a vigorous prequisite system to stop wasting advanced professors’ time teaching greenhorns. One of the weaknesses of YouTube as a learning platform is that all information must start at the lowest level instead of moving toward mastery. If you rely on the internet for information, you will become the Jack of all and master of none.

We cannot really fault Myron Golden or his customers for this, that’s just how the system works.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The most important component for anyone desiring to aid others in that manner (with Christ in mind) is an ability to communicate, solve problems and instruct others. You can have the best personality and a plethora of friends. But if you can't provide solutions, troubleshoot or help people move the needle you won't be around too long. Encouragement has its place as does motivation. But results speak loudest.

My dad is a very good problem solver, eager to instruct others and helped so many people and nice and good to everyone, having earned the informal title of "peacemaker" in our neighborhood. A good Christian in all respects.

Unfortunately, not having the best of personality even though he tried his very best to please other people, did not get him many close friends. Since dad ran a business whose success depended strongly on having good network of friends or associates, it did not succeed as well as the others and when difficult times struck, it did not fare well. No one came to his aid, even other Christians he had helped a lot in the past who are now quite financially well off.

I don't know exactly why. For one thing my dad is the opposite of being worldly or materialistic. Although dad rarely talked about the merits of simplicity with other people, he wore cheap and simple clothes, spent so little time about his appearance, didn't try to talk and act like how rich people do when everybody else is doing the opposite. I think it may have rubbed people the wrong way and saw my dad as repulsive or sending off "negative vibes".

I think this is how the world works today, it's about the vibes, dress and look and act like a rich person even if you're not. Trying to look rich is "positive vibes", trying to look simple and basic is something that may be associated with the poor and is "negative vibes". Anyway, just a theory. I've attended MLM rallies before and it's what they "preach". Look and act like rich to attract riches. It does seem to work although not necessarily compatible with Christ's teachings. "Fake it 'til you make it?"

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But that is called college. :p Welcome to a vigorous prequisite system to stop wasting advanced professors’ time teaching greenhorns. One of the weaknesses of YouTube as a learning platform is that all information must start at the lowest level instead of moving toward mastery. If you rely on the internet for information, you will become the Jack of all and master of none.

We cannot really fault Myron Golden or his customers for this, that’s just how the system works.

The laborer is worthy of his wages. If they have useful information to share and put some in public and sell the rest that's understandable. They have to earn a living and pay for services and employees. And admittedly, you get what you pay for to some degree. I used to join Facebook groups with 'likeminded people' and wasted my time. There was always more talk than action. Many equated ideas with doing. And there's the requisite squabble or two. If you're lucky (not) you'll get a tirade.

I grew tired of the rants and drama. I wanted to learn and surround myself with people who desired the same. I bought a course and continued doing so until I found the person who resonated most. The same holds true in your progression. You need to be with peers. A person in the early stages of a business has different challenges than someone more established. They need different things. You won't give the same strategy to someone with limited earnings that you'll give to someone with a larger budget. They're in a different place.

While it's possible to learn on social media there's levels in dispense. You won't get the golden egg in that space. And that's okay. It serves a purpose. If you want to grow you have to move beyond it and work with the person/s who can help you get to the next level.

I use social media as a tool for familiarization and inspiration. Once I grasp the concept and I'm ready for the next step I find an expert to shorten the learning curve. I use books in a similar fashion. I'm not suggesting you should trust every self-proclaimed guru. Due diligence is a must. But proximity has spoils. That's when you encounter others like yourself. They may be in the same place or far ahead. And connections are formed.

That begets alliances and networks. I don't mind paying for things. But 9 out of 10 it's someone I know and we've been in the same programs. I go outside the fold if what I'm seeking isn't there. One of the benefits of shared circles is advice and recommendations. You'll discover the superstars. You won't waste your time because they've done it themselves.

~bella

• Informative
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unfortunately, not having the best of personality even though he tried his very best to please other people, did not get him many close friends.

Do you mean best in respect to charisma? Popularity? Extroversion? Or something along those lines?

Since dad ran a business whose success depended strongly on having good network of friends or associates, it did not succeed as well as the others and when difficult times struck, it did not fare well. No one came to his aid, even other Christians he had helped a lot in the past who are now quite financially well off.

How were his friendships beforehand? Were they plentiful? There's businesses of many stripes as you're aware. Those that rely on connections usually require comparable skills for success. For example, I wouldn't consider myself a connector. I don't go out of my way to meet people. But I dated someone who is. He has weekly appointments with his friends and associates. Whether it's coffee or a meal. It's a practice he never set aside.

The likelihood of me doing the same depends on the reason. Is it a project, charitable event, a budding relationship, etc. I'm unlikely to do that every week just because. I've had a large group of friends and the demands were great. I don't want that anymore. A few close connections will suffice.

You'd probably assume he's an extrovert but he isn't. I'm an ambivert and the lone one with that disposition. He's on the other end. He makes himself socialize to combat his introversion. I'm a social butterfly when I choose to be. But it isn't my default.

If your father struggled to do the same why didn't he choose something different and play to his strengths?

I don't know exactly why. For one thing my dad is the opposite of being worldly or materialistic. Although dad rarely talked about the merits of simplicity with other people, he wore cheap and simple clothes, spent so little time about his appearance, didn't try to talk and act like how rich people do when everybody else is doing the opposite. I think it may have rubbed people the wrong way and saw my dad as repulsive or sending off "negative vibes".

What was the demographic for his products or services? Was he serving the poor, middle class, or persons more affluent? What was the norm for businesses of a similar stripe?

For instance, I'm in the luxury market space. That's my demographic. There are expectations that go along with that. Expectations in aesthetic, appearance, deportment and lifestyle. I have to speak their language or the message won't resonate.

Some do it through persona but I don't. I'm not playing a role. If I say I like something I do. If I say I'm interested in something I am. Being oneself is easiest. We have a lot of similarities. Talking to them is easy. We're not identical but there's enough common ground for engagement.

I don't have to become someone different to serve them and that's important (to me). Masks require a lot of work and usually slip at some point. If I'd chosen differently I'd have to modify a lot. The Lord fashioned me for the tasks He's assigned. I'm swimming with the current not against it.

There's a channel I used to watch that's experiencing similar challenges. She presented herself as inexperienced, eager and thrifty. But as the channel grew she began to change. She was able to leave her job and do it full-time. They bought a larger house and that's when things went south.

The purchase was leaked online and many responded negatively about the price. It's a million dollar home. It requires some work but it's their forever place. They purchased it in their early thirties and began making improvements. And they undertook a sizable garden project and things blew up.

For what it's worth I'd have done the same. They needed professionals. The scope was beyond them. Up until that period she was relatable to her demographic. But less so afterward. Her mistake wasn't the purchase or projects. She built a channel founded on frugality and it's hard to pivot once you do. Wherever you want to be is where you must begin. Even if you haven't arrived there yet.

If she'd acknowledged her thrift and admitted her desire for better things when they could afford them the backlash wouldn't have occurred. They would have applauded the gains. She's living a life they can't imagine or replicate. There's a place for content like that. It's aspirational and the viewers enjoy it.

You can alienate your audience when differences are great and they didn't sign on for that.

I made a similar mistake during the pandemic. I signed up for a homesteading membership but didn't consider the demographic. We shared photos of our tasks and projects. I posted some from my pantry. I was doing the Pinterest look with the requisite jars and bins. The cabinets were white. It was very pretty. When they posted the same I realized my mistake.

I built an aesthetically pleasing pantry. It was plentiful like the rest. But it didn't come cheap. Someone asked about the jars. They weren't labeled and they wondered how I remembered what I had. Nor were the bins. I knew why they weren't. It didn't match the look I preferred. Another asked about the jars and wanted to know where I got them. That's when it really hit home.

The differences were stark and I felt bad for posting them. I took them down later on. I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I left the group and joined another. I'm discriminating about the things I share and consider my audience before I do. Some things are better left unsaid.

I think this is how the world works today, it's about the vibes, dress and look and act like a rich person even if you're not. Trying to look rich is "positive vibes", trying to look simple and basic is something that may be associated with the poor and is "negative vibes". Anyway, just a theory. I've attended MLM rallies before and it's what they "preach". Look and act like rich to attract riches. It does seem to work although not necessarily compatible with Christ's teachings. "Fake it 'til you make it?"

I've never been a fan of MLM. There's a lot of hype and more work than they admit. And the programs are costly. If I was going to go that route I'd put it on sales or public speaking.

Wealth is popular because many desire the same. Things that promise riches or emulate the spoils are lauded. But the demographic isn't large. Most of the things you see are fake, borrowed, rented and so on. They're not living the life they present.

The poor shouldn't be maligned or exploited because of their circumstances. Poverty doesn't minimize their gifts.

~bella

Upvote 0