• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My Testimony

AS4JC91

Aug 10, 2009
Sydney Australia
✟8,698.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!
I'm almost 18. I've been described as bubbly ^_^, cheeky :p, vivacious :clap:, joyful :wave:, compassionate :) and chatty :D. Oh and friendly so a :hug: to all of you.
What most people don't realise is the names I was called throughout my childhood.

Born out of wedlock, my bio father left my mother as soon as he found out she was pregnant with me. My mum was a 19 y.o. Christian; an archetypical 'good girl'. So imagine the shame poured on her and that she poured on herself when she was pregnant. Oh boy. Pile that on with a childhood of emotional abuse from a father who suffered emotional trauma from the London Blitz and you have a recipe for disaster.

While Mum did marry when I was 2 and a half, she still carried a lot of hurt, shame and self-loathing...over to me. Now due to partial deafness and a learning/behavioural disorder which wasn't diagnosed till primary school, I did cause a lot of grief for my parents. So my mum, unable to cope with all this crap, lashed out. I don't remember when the abuse started, that's how early it began. But it was terrible. Mum said I was a thick-head, stupid, annoying, worthless etc and I believed her. I'd go to pre-school and primary school with cuts and bruises and, afraid DoCS would be involved, I lied to protect her. I really did love my mum. Whenever she abused me it was like something else or someONE else took over. When she come back to 'normal' and stop hitting me she'd immediately cry and profusely apologise and reassure me she loved me. It was a confusing cycle. Dad (my step-dad), if he were around, would always intervene. This abuse never happened to my little sister, thank God, but she did witness it and has been affected by it as well.

So with all this happening as well as finding out about my unknown father and bullying in primary school, I started contemplating suicide around 9 y.o. until I went to high school when things were better. Mum didn't abuse me as much anymore and I found friends.

A couple of years ago Mum and I started prayer counselling (Mum for her temper, shame, guilt, self-loathing; me for the stuff above) and our relationship is great. She still struggles with her temper and I still am feeling some of the pain from the past but I know that she and I have been much more restored. What she did was wrong and I don't pretend it never happened but I have forgiven her completely.

So I hope this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG post encourages all of you victorious survivors of abuse.

Blessings :prayer:
AS4JC91