My problems

moomoomeow3

May 29, 2013
✟7,648.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have right now various problems that I could use help with. I didn't want to make separate threads fro each problem, so I thought it might be quick to just put them in one.
First of all, I am a bit confused about praying in Christ's name. When I end a prayer, do I just say "in Christ's name I pray, amen?" Or is there something I'm missing.
Secondly, I have a big problem with insincerity in prayer. I always have doubt that anything will happen. I'm also very ungrateful, and having problems giving thanks. Or I don't care enough about others to pray for them, but that may be me just not believing my prayers are helping. Not only these, but I need to feel sorry and have conviction of sin.
Third of all, I don't feel saved. This is a difficult one to explain, but I believe that this may be a combination of a lack of faith and the feeling that I have not done enough good. I have a lack of faith in the afterlife, and I think in God as well. In Their existence. Yet another flaw of mine. And I know that doing good is not what puts a person in God's Kingdom, but this is truly how my mind operates. I think one reason why I feel that I haven't been saved is because nothing big that has gotten me to accept Jesus has happened. I have always been a Christian. I have never had an event in my life that has caused a change of heart. I've always just waded through the swamp, never truly rising out of it.
Fourthly, I need to learn humility. Recently, I have felt crappy. I don't think this is humility, as it is probably just me recognizing my sins and flaws. I see myself above others. I need to care more about others. How am I supposed to view others in regards to myself? Do I see them as equals, or as above myself?
I have been in a dry spell recently. I don't want to walk out of it; I want to rise out.

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟842,092.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have right now various problems that I could use help with. I didn't want to make separate threads for each problem, so I thought it might be quick to just put them in one.

First of all, I am a bit confused about praying in Christ's name. When I end a prayer, do I just say "in Christ's name I pray, amen?" Or is there something I'm missing. That’s fine, I do not think you are missing anything.

Secondly, I have a big problem with insincerity in prayer. I always have doubt that anything will happen. I'm also very ungrateful, and having problems giving thanks. Or I don't care enough about others to pray for them, but that may be me just not believing my prayers are helping. Not only these, but I need to feel sorry and have conviction of sin. Keep on praying. And even when you don’t feel like saying thank you, say it anyways.

Tell the Lord you are working on it and ask Him to give you thankfulness. Spend your day thanking the Lord for things, especially things you are grateful for. Ask the Lord to help you care about others. Pray for others, whether you feel enough or not, it’s good to pray for others, and of course you probably appreciate it when others pray for you. Ask the Lord to help you feel sorry for the wrong things you have done. Ask the Lord to help you with your unbelief and keep saying you believe until one day you do!

Third of all, I don't feel saved. This is a difficult one to explain, but I believe that this may be a combination of a lack of faith and the feeling that I have not done enough good. I have a lack of faith in the afterlife, and I think in God as well. In Their existence. Yet another flaw of mine. And I know that doing good is not what puts a person in God's Kingdom, but this is truly how my mind operates. I think one reason why I feel that I haven't been saved is because nothing big that has gotten me to accept Jesus has happened. I have always been a Christian. I have never had an event in my life that has caused a change of heart. I've always just waded through the swamp, never truly rising out of it. Many people do not feel anything special when they are saved. Do not look for a feeling, we cannot trust our feelings most of the time. If you have asked the Lord to forgive your sins and have asked Him into your life you are a Christian, you are saved whether you feel something or not!

Fourthly, I need to learn humility. Recently, I have felt crappy. I don't think this is humility, as it is probably just me recognizing my sins and flaws. I see myself above others. I need to care more about others. How am I supposed to view others in regards to myself? Do I see them as equals, or as above myself?
What you wrote sounds quite humble so you are on the right track. You are supposed to look to the needs of others before yourself, you are not to think you are better than others. I think you could view them as equals, and remember that the Lord loves them just as much as He loves you!

I have been in a dry spell recently. I don't want to walk out of it; I want to rise out. Praying for you! Take heart, we all go through dry spells, it can be a test! a test to say, no matter what I am feeling, I know the Lord is there for me and He will see me through. He is on my side.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You need to sort out where you are in your faith in Jesus Christ before anything else. e.g. how to say prayers.

[Jesus said] John 6:47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

I recommend reading the whole chapter 6.

if you believe in Jesus you will believe what He says about Heaven, that your prayers will be heard, that your sins will be forgiven and so on.

Reading your bible - praying that God will open your eyes to its truth of course - is the most important thing to do.

Have you looked into Christian apologetics much yet? That area deals with all the evidence we have to support our faith. It won't create faith outright but it will definitely strengthen it.

e.g. websites for newer Christians
Always Be Ready (ABR) - Christian Apologetics: Defending Your Faith
Apologetics Guy - Accessible Apologetics Training with Mikel Del Rosario

For "meatier" apologetics discussion - definitely go to Apologetics section of the forum for great advice.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have right now various problems that I could use help with. I didn't want to make separate threads fro each problem, so I thought it might be quick to just put them in one.
First of all, I am a bit confused about praying in Christ's name. When I end a prayer, do I just say "in Christ's name I pray, amen?" Or is there something I'm missing.
It's not some kind of mantra, but simply recognising that all our access to God is made possible through Christ.

Secondly, I have a big problem with insincerity in prayer. I always have doubt that anything will happen. I'm also very ungrateful, and having problems giving thanks. Or I don't care enough about others to pray for them, but that may be me just not believing my prayers are helping.
A common issue. Pray anyway. Sometime prayer 'flows' sometimes it just seems like a routine. But God knows about our efforts and delights in them.

Not only these, but I need to feel sorry and have conviction of sin.
Don't get hung up on that. Why not accept God's joy over you?

Third of all, I don't feel saved. This is a difficult one to explain, but I believe that this may be a combination of a lack of faith and the feeling that I have not done enough good.
You can't ever be good enough. That's why the Gospel is good news. It's what Jesus has done not how we feel/

I have a lack of faith in the afterlife, and I think in God as well. In Their existence. Yet another flaw of mine. And I know that doing good is not what puts a person in God's Kingdom, but this is truly how my mind operates. I think one reason why I feel that I haven't been saved is because nothing big that has gotten me to accept Jesus has happened. I have always been a Christian. I have never had an event in my life that has caused a change of heart. I've always just waded through the swamp, never truly rising out of it.
Faithfulness and perseverance are valued by God. There is more to discover which may lie behind your current 'dissatisfaction'. Sometimes our teachers short change us.

I have been in a dry spell recently. I don't want to walk out of it; I want to rise out.

Do you read much?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Shulamite7

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Secondly, I have a big problem with insincerity in prayer. I always have doubt that anything will happen. I'm also very ungrateful, and having problems giving thanks. Or I don't care enough about others to pray for them, but that may be me just not believing my prayers are helping. Not only these, but I need to feel sorry and have conviction of sin.
Third of all, I don't feel saved. This is a difficult one to explain, but I believe that this may be a combination of a lack of faith and the feeling that I have not done enough good. I have a lack of faith in the afterlife, and I think in God as well. In Their existence. Yet another flaw of mine. And I know that doing good is not what puts a person in God's Kingdom, but this is truly how my mind operates. I think one reason why I feel that I haven't been saved is because nothing big that has gotten me to accept Jesus has happened. I have always been a Christian. I have never had an event in my life that has caused a change of heart. I've always just waded through the swamp, never truly rising out of it.

I will start answering from your fourth question. You want to learn to practice humility. Then I would highly, highly recommend you to read the book marriage supper of the lamb by Susan Davis. She is a servant of the Lord who was led to do a 40 day fast inorder to get these messages from the Lord. I think her first chapter starts with humility and she has explained in detail everything about humility and how we are supposed to practice it. Please check it out. It is available on the internet. The Bible tells us to see others better than us. It does not mean that you should end up with an inferiority complex but it is an expression of love for others.

Regarding other areas such as not wanting to pray for others and not having faith when you pray, just ask God to change your attitude. Just make an effort to pray for others and later it will get much easier to pray for them. There is nothing missing in the way you end your prayer. You can thank God for what He has done for you till now. Count your blessings. Ask God to help you think like how He thinks, that is to have the mind of Christ. Make time to praise and worship the Lord. Some christian songs do have the ability to move you and touch you.

Upvote 0

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Praying in Christ's name means recognizing that you are a sinner and have no right to come before a holy God but you are able to do so only because Christ has paid for your sins. There is nothing wrong with saying "in Christ's name" at the end of your prayer but none of the prayers recorded in the Bible use this phrase.

Secondly, I have a big problem with insincerity in prayer. I always have doubt that anything will happen.
Have you read about Peter's release from prison in Acts 12?
When he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose other name was Mark, where many were gathered together and were praying. And when he knocked at the door of the gateway, a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer. Recognizing Peter's voice, in her joy she did not open the gate but ran in and reported that Peter was standing at the gate. They said to her, “You are out of your mind.” But she kept insisting that it was so, and they kept saying, “It is his angel!”
(Acts 12:12-15 ESV)

These people were probably praying for Peter's release but when it happened they didn't believe it. There lack of faith didn't keep God from answering their prayers.

I have never had an event in my life that has caused a change of heart.
You don't need to wait for something to happen. Salvation comes when you repent of your sin and believe in Christ. It doesn't depend on your outward circumstances. If you are uncertain of your salvation perhaps this will help you:

Answers for Seekers | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

How am I supposed to view others in regards to myself? Do I see them as equals, or as above myself?
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
(Philippians 2:3 ESV)

Perhaps the best way to achieve humility would be to simply focus your attention on others and their needs and feelings and no even worry about whether or not you are humble.

I pray that you will be able to do this.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Regarding speaking in Christ's name have a look at the following passage from Acts 19.

But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.” Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?” And the man, in whom was the evil spirit, leaped on them and subdued all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. This became known to all, both Jews and Greeks, who lived in Ephesus; and fear fell upon them all and the name of the Lord Jesus was being magnified.​

What we can understand here, is that the name of Jesus isn't some type of magic spell or incantation. The name of Jesus is powerful to the believer because of their true faith and relationship with him. But it isn't a spell.

Pray on this for a while I think the answer to your question may surface.

Secondly when I pray I don't pray for God to come and intervene in time space at that very second.

Let's say I was Moses wanting to part the red sea. I wouldn't be praying for God to come at that moment and literally stop the sea. Rather I would be praying that God would have put the necessary measures in place already that would make the flow stop at that point and continue once the Egyptians were due to pass.

I know what you mean about praying. It's like what's the point God already knows. It helps me to think about it in the way I've described above for some reason. Perhaps it can help you to.

There are various scriptures that indicate that God changes the course of an event dependent on peoples sincere prayers. See Exodus 32:14 for example.

I think this praying for people is a good reason for a certain amount of suffering in the world. Suffering helps us gain a sense of perpective and empathy for our brothers and sisters out there.

For let us not forget

But you may not be named Teacher: for one is your teacher, and you are all brothers. Matthew 23:8

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, moomoomeow.

First, let me say that your worries are over things that a million other people have also questioned, so don't get too down yet. :)

There is no special forumula. You could incorporate your intention to pray in Christ's name right in the words of your prayer, if you wish; but it's common to end any such prayer with "in Jesus' name, Amen."

These are mainly distracting thoughts. Try to focus on the prayer and exclude all distractions whether it be these kinds of worries or the events of the day, or anything else. It's something to practice. Beyond that, we aware that we are all sinners and that's why we are praying. In other words, don't be bothered by thoughts that your prayer isn't good enough, isn't worded right, or that you aren't good enough or sincere enough.

Third of all, I don't feel saved. This is a difficult one to explain, but I believe that this may be a combination of a lack of faith and the feeling that I have not done enough good.
Right off the bat, get that idea about not doing enough good out of your thinking. NO ONE can do enough good to merit salvation. That's why Christ died for us, for forgiveness for your sins. We cannot do enough good on our own. And, of course, that's why you think you aren't doing enough good...because no one can.

As for your faith, I doubt that anyone who has these kinds of worries is one of the damned. If you are worrying about this, you care. Jesus said to trust him; just try to do it and don't theologize all over the place when praying to the Father. Just be straightforward. If you don't get what you prayed for, there's a reason, but don't give up praying for any reason.

:thumbsup:

I have always been a Christian. I have never had an event in my life that has caused a change of heart. I've always just waded through the swamp, never truly rising out of it.
That doesn't mean you haven't been saved. For some it's a dramatic moment, but for others it's a gradual growth in the faith.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hi62OsBs_A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnWoVk-mbyY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHEjqvmQIZg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBt4Ia12Dw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f85DMc5WEb4

Last edited:
Upvote 0