My problem when watching twitch streams (blasphemy)

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In spare time I like to watch some twitch streams. I'm not going into which games or streamers I watch.

I've noticed since becoming a Christian that the majority of streamers I've watched consistently say things like "sw**t J**us" or "G*d D**n" and many other similar things. Jesus is said in every stream I watch both by the streamer and in the chat by viewers.

To be honest there's a lot of swearing and profanity etc in streams but I can't police the whole of the internet.

What do you think about this?

Mostly, I cringe a bit and forget about it a minute later until it's said again. Overall and in a general sense, it bothers me. I've thought about confronting people but this just seems like such a bad idea to me. I've thought about contacting twitch, but decided against it for the time being. I'm sure it must be against the rules though?

Is speech like this to be expected nowadays? I honestly believe they're not even thinking about what they're saying. They just say it. I don't want anyone to get banned or punished I'd just rather they didn't say it.

Reactions: LaSorcia

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is speech like this to be expected nowadays? I honestly believe they're not even thinking about what they're saying. They just say it. I don't want anyone to get banned or punished I'd just rather they didn't say it.
Sadly it seems to be more casually common all the time. I have to police video game walkthroughs for my 5 yr old. It wasn't like that 20 years ago.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Instead of watching them (because it does get annoying), I started streaming my own content for a while, SWTOR and WoT primarily. If you can't fix it, be your own remedy.
Cool! Good idea although I don't have much confidence in my streaming ability tbh. How did you find streaming?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sadly it seems to be more casually common all the time. I have to police video game walkthroughs for my 5 yr old. It wasn't like that 20 years ago.
That's good that you do that although I expect it's not exactly fun? Lol. Out of curiosity what games do they play?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Cool! Good idea although I don't have much confidence in my streaming ability tbh. How did you find streaming?

I haven't done so in about a year, but I enjoyed it. You get to sit there and play your game and talk to yourself all you want without anyone thinking you are warped in the head, and that's always a plus.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's good that you do that although I expect it's not exactly fun? Lol. Out of curiosity what games do they play?
We're a gamer family lol, he only plays games I'll buy. Sonic is the one that usually has profanity in the walkthroughs for some reason, although I've heard it in Mario Odyssey.
I play ESO a lot, but haven't heard much profanity the few times I've watched streams. More mature crowd maybe?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would have expected the opposite, for Sonic to have less profanity than ESO but you are right maybe it's a more mature player base and audience.

I watch mainly shooters etc but play loads of different games. Atm I'm playing The Long Dark survival mode (singleplayer) and BFV and pubg online. Well that's actually a lie lol I bought BFV but I haven't played it yet I will be later on though.

I haven't played ESO, is it good?

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We're a gamer family lol, he only plays games I'll buy. Sonic is the one that usually has profanity in the walkthroughs for some reason, although I've heard it in Mario Odyssey.
I play ESO a lot, but haven't heard much profanity the few times I've watched streams. More mature crowd maybe?
last message wasn't as a reply ^

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In spare time I like to watch some twitch streams. I'm not going into which games or streamers I watch.

I've noticed since becoming a Christian that the majority of streamers I've watched consistently say things like "sw**t J**us" or "G*d D**n" and many other similar things. Jesus is said in every stream I watch both by the streamer and in the chat by viewers.

To be honest there's a lot of swearing and profanity etc in streams but I can't police the whole of the internet.

What do you think about this?

Mostly, I cringe a bit and forget about it a minute later until it's said again. Overall and in a general sense, it bothers me. I've thought about confronting people but this just seems like such a bad idea to me. I've thought about contacting twitch, but decided against it for the time being. I'm sure it must be against the rules though?

So there are two different answers, and they are contradictory.

First, you should have friends and a group of people who don't act like pagans. You don't have to spend all of your time with such people, but you should spend some time with them. And these Christian friends should not speak in such ways.

Second, you should so spend time with pagans. How do Christians influence the culture, if you never interact with the culture, right?

However when you think about confronting someone, here are my general rules.

Is the person who is saying something wrong, a Christian? If that person is not a Christian, you do not confront them.

Why would you expect a pagan to follow Christian beliefs? They are not Christians. The Lord is equal to the tooth fairy to a pagan.

Now if the person saying something wrong, has identified themselves as a Christian, then I would encourage you to confront them.

"Hey friend. Should a Christian say something like that?"

Be gentle, but be direct. I am always more likely to yell at a Christian who is acting badly, than a pagan. Pagans don't know anything, and never claimed to be a Christian. But a Christian who claims to follow the Lord, should know better.

Now if you want to open your own Twitch stream and stand up for the name of Christ, I think that is a great idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So there are two different answers, and they are contradictory.

First, you should have friends and a group of people who don't act like pagans. You don't have to spend all of your time with such people, but you should spend some time with them. And these Christian friends should not speak in such ways.

Second, you should so spend time with pagans. How do Christians influence the culture, if you never interact with the culture, right?

However when you think about confronting someone, here are my general rules.

Is the person who is saying something wrong, a Christian? If that person is not a Christian, you do not confront them.

Why would you expect a pagan to follow Christian beliefs? They are not Christians. The Lord is equal to the tooth fairy to a pagan.

Now if the person saying something wrong, has identified themselves as a Christian, then I would encourage you to confront them.

"Hey friend. Should a Christian say something like that?"

Be gentle, but be direct. I am always more likely to yell at a Christian who is acting badly, than a pagan. Pagans don't know anything, and never claimed to be a Christian. But a Christian who claims to follow the Lord, should know better.

Now if you want to open your own Twitch stream and stand up for the name of Christ, I think that is a great idea.
Thanks, I agree with most of what you said but aren't the streamers themselves to be held to a standard? There's rules for when you're broadcasting online in a live stream?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks, I agree with most of what you said but aren't the streamers themselves to be held to a standard? There's rules for when you're broadcasting online in a live stream?

Pagan rules, yes. The pagans are against saying something openly racists, like the "n-word". But the pagan rules do not include "G-- Da--" or other common pagan phrases.

To be honest, as a Christian twitch streamer, I would be far more likely to be banned from Twitch for saying I support traditional marriage, than a pagan is for saying he curses G-d.

But that is true of everything in a pagan society. This is why you marry and have lots of kids. We have to out breed the pagans.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pagan rules, yes. The pagans are against saying something openly racists, like the "n-word". But the pagan rules do not include "G-- Da--" or other common pagan phrases.

To be honest, as a Christian twitch streamer, I would be far more likely to be banned from Twitch for saying I support traditional marriage, than a pagan is for saying he curses G-d.

But that is true of everything in a pagan society. This is why you marry and have lots of kids. We have to out breed the pagans.
I don't have any scripture but I thought Christians will never be the majority? Marrying and having children is good but I don't think we can out breed them

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums