Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Seems it is more a political board with undertones of Christianity. But not much. All I see is talk of politics and accusations of racism. I do not deny that it exists. But I think that politics needs to be banned in the faith forums altogether. We have a political section outside the faith forums that anyone is free to participate in. We do not need politics on faith forums because discussion of the faith is left in favor of arguing politics. It has done nothing to add to the feeling of community in OBOB. We need to get our priorities in order. Let the faith forums be faith discussions and fellowship. Let the political forum outside the faith forums be for that purpose.
I can talk to the admins and see about doing a poll of what the OBOB members what to do.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree with this... Only if we can get a political subforum for Christians only. The Politics section under Discussion and Debate allows non-Christians, and as such, it's full of mockery and anti-Christianity. For those of us Christians that would like to discuss politics in light of the faith, that makes it hard to do and very unwelcoming. Frankly I don't know why we allow non-Christians to post here at all other than to ask questions about our faith(s).
We are discussing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can talk to the admins and see about doing a poll of what the OBOB members what to do.
I think it would not hurt to try. Seriously, the board has a section for politics. We don't need it here unless clergy speaks on an issue or in the context of faith. Faith has taken a back seat to all this partisan junk.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think it would not hurt to try. Seriously, the board has a section for politics. We don't need it here unless clergy speaks on an issue or in the context of faith. Faith has taken a back seat to all this partisan junk.
I think the political board was made to get politics out of the main forum. But we could also just disallow it completeky, with the exception of authoritative church statements. I'll talk to the other admins and see what they think. Of course, it would be put to a vote here to get a final decision.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It gets worse during election seasons.
Yes but it has become the norm. It is not just during the election season. It happens on a daily basis now. We can go anywhere for this type of behavior. Seems more like political forums than Christian Forums.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Yes but it has become the norm. It is not just during the election season. It happens on a daily basis now. We can go anywhere for this type of behavior. Seems more like political forums than Christian Forums.

The US is more political now. Compromise is at an all time low it seems. My point of view has to be 100% right 100% of the time and I can't take any steps to see that the other point of view has some points and, maybe, somewhere in the 50-60% range of my point of view is better than 0%.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the political board was made to get politics out of the main forum. But we could also just disallow it completeky, with the exception of authoritative church statements. I'll talk to the other admins and see what they think. Of course, it would be put to a vote here to get a final decision.
Sounds good. I think Mikhael's idea of a general Christian forum for christians to discuss politics from a faith based perspective is a good idea as well. But there must be rules that it is only discussed from a faith perspective and without the trolling attitudes of some posters. There are enough Devils advocates running about as it is. The only reason I stay us because of the relationships I formed. I could go to SD or any place to get the stuff that is being served up on the board daily. We need to be different.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Of course, it would be put to a vote here to get a final decision.

Polls and votes are not appropriate for forums .

They serve no useful purpose .

Will the majority or the minority be right ?

I often find that it is the minority who hold the correct position .

" Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth , " said Mahatma Gandhi .

P.S. All this stuff is just excessive navel gazing .

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not real cracked on polls either to be honest because they just turn into a contest. I think the vision of the board needs to be looked at again and a decision made. By the owner and staff. It would prevent a lot of head banging by the CF population.
Polls and votes are not appropriate for forums .

They serve no useful purpose .

Will the majority or the minority be right ?

I often find that it is the minority who hold the correct position .

" Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth , " said Mahatma Gandhi .

P.S. All this stuff is just excessive navel gazing .

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I took a look at the boards this morning I decided I'm tired of the rancor.

There's a small community of faithful Catholics still on this board and I love you guys to pieces, but there's little on CF that I find edifying and think it's best that I move on

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry to see you go Tad. I have been deliberating the same but just have not pulled the trigger yet. It is all just very sad. :(
When I took a look at the boards this morning I decided I'm tired of the rancor.

There's a small community of faithful Catholics still on this board and I love you guys to pieces, but there's little on CF that I find edifying and think it's best that I move on

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Well if money is the bottom line then we are doomed. But all this politicizing needs to stop inside the faith forums.
agreed.
removing the OBOB political forum would be a good thing, faith-wise, but i have a question.......

how do you envision that we would handle the social justice issues here from a Catholic perspective?
especially since we have an already existing division on the topics contained under social justice among our members.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
me 3.
I'm sorry to see you go Tad. I have been deliberating the same but just have not pulled the trigger yet. It is all just very sad. :(

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
agreed.
removing the OBOB political forum would be a good thing, faith-wise, but i have a question.......

how do you envision that we would handle the social justice issues here from a Catholic perspective?
especially since we have an already existing division on the topics contained under social justice among our members.
Anything brought up in light of or in context of clergy speaking would be allowed. Politics for its own sake with the usual labeling and trolling attitudes would not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Anything brought up in light of or in context of clergy speaking would be allowed. Politics for its own sake with the usual labeling and trolling attitudes would not.

ok. so fellowship and encouragement get's a thumbs up.
supporting the Vatican gets a thumbs up

partisan politics, labeling, trolish attitudes, and baiting members gets kicked to the curb.
got it!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The US is more political now. Compromise is at an all time low it seems. My point of view has to be 100% right 100% of the time and I can't take any steps to see that the other point of view has some points and, maybe, somewhere in the 50-60% range of my point of view is better than 0%.

that's because the differences have never been so clear cut before.
there are basically 2 influences at work; the Church on the one hand, and society on the other.

when the two conflict (as they do now), that conflict in views and beliefs will express itself through politics, unless
or until one side or the other tips the scale.

as it is now there is a mixture of influence from both the Church and society that is forming people's views on politics. that is where the conflict is comming from.

and you know what is said about a house divided.........it must go one way or the other in order to survive.
there must be one head, not two.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
She wasn't being racist. She was stating a real problem we have in this country with people who abuse the system, who are almost always minorities. That's a plain and simple fact. For someone that doesn't like being called a Jew hater, you're quick to throw out "racist!!!"

I have to completely disagree the "system" is rigged toward white, old, powerful men.

In the last 10 years or so these people have abused the American Taxpayer to the turn of about 2.2 Trillion Dollars.

(900 Billion on the 2008 bailout, another 300 Billion on "stimulus" tax cuts that went directly to there bottom line and didn't trickle away where. 700 Billion (including 20 Billion in "missing" cash, yes CASH, that Halibertin shipped to Iraq and can't seem to find) in unaccountable and reconciled military contracts directly and indirectly supporting the war on terror.

I don't care how many mythical black single mothers you think there are out the pumping kids for non-existent welfare payments but not in your wildest fantasies can you get anywhere near 2200 Billion dollars

...or 2,200,000 Million dollars

....or 2.2 Billion thousand dollars

However you'd like to envision it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It gets worse during election seasons.
And election seasons last about three years eleven months and twenty-five days now. I wish they (we) could give it a break.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
that's because the differences have never been so clear cut before.
there are basically 2 influences at work; the Church on the one hand, and society on the other.

when the two conflict (as they do now), that conflict in views and beliefs will express itself through politics, unless
or until one side or the other tips the scale.

as it is now there is a mixture of influence from both the Church and society that is forming people's views on politics. that is where the conflict is comming from.

and you know what is said about a house divided.........it must go one way or the other in order to survive.
there must be one head, not two.

Piggily Wiggily, Fiddily Foo and Jiggery Pokery

This has nothing to do with Church v Society.

It's about what kind of country we want to be.

Which is actually worse because it involves WAY more then Church v Society

Maybe not to you exactly, but in general.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.