• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My meds block God and most of my emotions

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think you need to have a heart to heart with your psychiatrist. I have no idea what your diagnosis is. But I know that mania is not treated by tranquelizing it. You need more information and your doctor certainly needs feedback from you in order for you and him/her to make the best decisions together for your care. Let him know exactly what you are telling us about how the tranqs are killing your feelings and ability to feel God and stuff.

It is unfortunately trial and error to find the meds that work for us. We have to be very patient. I was misdiagnosed for 25 years, and then it was another 15 years before they finally found the right combination of meds that worked for me.
I actually forgot to take my Latuda this morning before work. What a huge difference. I started feeling stuff this afternoon. I have Lamictal so switching to that. The Latuda was definitely zombieing me out. Thanks.

I want have a little depression now and then. It is so good for my writing. But, mostly I want my highs back. Just a tad. Not full-force mania, but my emotions back. The Lamictal should keep me from being too depressed.

My shrinks said I could switch to Lamictal a few months ago. I still have 90 days supply of it. Try it until I see her next week.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I actually forgot to take my Latuda this morning before work. What a huge difference. I started feeling stuff this afternoon. I have Lamictal so switching to that. The Latuda was definitely zombieing me out. Thanks.

I want have a little depression now and then. It is so good for my writing. But, mostly I want my highs back. Just a tad. Not full-force mania, but my emotions back. The Lamictal should keep me from being too depressed.

My shrinks said I could switch to Lamictal a few months ago. I still have 90 days supply of it. Try it until I see her next week.
Oh, okay. So you are following your doctor's advice. I always encourage following doctors' advice. :)

One thing--I think I remember that Lamictal (I'm non that too, btw) needs to be started and stopped slowly, so you might want to email your psychiatrist how best to start it again. Also, if you develop a rash, stop right away and call your doctor. Lamictal was THE mood stabilizer that finally straightened me out. I feel deeply indebted to it. I hope that it works as well for you as it does for me.

Reactions: seekingmuch
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've pretty much given up on feeling anything from God. I'll have sputters here and there where I guess the meds don't control the emotional center of my brain and I'll feel something, but 99.9% of the time, I don't feel anything but "calm". It's like nothing is there. Just ho-hum. I don't think I'm that closed off to emotions. The meds just seem to have won.
Speaking from a spiritual perspective, I really don't know but it may be a good time for you and God to communicate without His voice drowned out by noisy emotions. Meditation with less distraction, the silence of detachment in a pill...What's that stuff called?:idea::sorry: Kidding

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
meds seem to block that intuitive spiritual part of living directly. I don't think it stays that way, but it doesn't feel good. In the long run I find that part of me comes back.
Yeah, that is pretty much what it does.

I actually learned the Gospel is pretty simple. If you are saved, you really don't have to do a thing. All of you is saved. It's over. You are in the club and can't be kicked out for any reason.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, that is pretty much what it does.

I actually learned the Gospel is pretty simple. If you are saved, you really don't have to do a thing. All of you is saved. It's over. You are in the club and can't be kicked out for any reason.
Don't ever take it for granted (because that is to let your guard down). Eg: Hebrews 12, and Galatians 5:7 speak of salvation as being like a race that we must endure, and Jesus also said in Matthew 24:13 that the one who endures to the end will be saved - that in context of Matthew 13:21-22 shows that there are some who might "get into the club" (as you have imagined it to be), but then they fall away. There are other scriptures too, but I'd better see what you think of these ones first.

.. of course, bearing in mind that very few find the narrow gate, the actual reality that someone would claim to have salvation and also be correct about it in this day and age, is actually a very misleading and dangerous idea, and the largest contributor to the fact that Christianity is threatened by secularism (consider if every single Christian could demonstrate Hebrews 12:28, nobody would dare speak against us).

Upvote 0

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Seekmuch, let me just add my two cents here. I'm on Latuda right now (20mg) for bipolar after years of taking Abilify. Before that I was on Seroquel and before that, Risperdal. Of all the antipsychotics, Latuda has been the best in terms of side effects. In fact, this is the first time in my life (I was diagnosed 7 years ago) that I feel zero side effects and have felt none this entire year, while losing 50 lbs and feeling pretty good up until a few months ago. Unfortunately, the Latuda stopped working. Now, I'm in a position where I'm very creative, very inspired, and very much seeing into the "spiritual world" (most of which is delusional, as I've had strange psychotic thoughts that I've had to run by close family to see if they are rational, and they are not). I can tell you, especially since I have to type notes to myself about my treatment instead of writing them, because my handwriting has gotten so bad. I can tell you that it is better to be slightly numbed than to be psychotic. I am unable to work, and unable to court a girl I'm interested in. Would those two things still be the case if I were taking stronger drugs? Probably so. But I'd rather be that person than this one.

The inspiration that comes with bipolar is something we all love, for a short time. When it turns into mania or psychosis or both, it no longer becomes fun after a few weeks. In fact, untreated psychosis has a detrimental effect on the mind. We have, in mental illness, a degenerative sort of illness. I can't compare it to illnesses that are truly degenerative, such as Dementia. But our minds definitely get worse over time. Even without mental illness, that is true. Our minds become less effective and we are less able to learn more complicated tasks, like increasing in foreign language production in speech and understanding rapid, natural speech in a language that is not ours.

We are in a catch 22. There's no solution currently in the psychiatric world. We can live with side effects and have a relatively calm existence, which is very unfulfilling. Or, we can go on very low doses of medication, do well for awhile, descend into psychosis or mania, and wish we were stable in the mind again. It is a horrible situation to be in. I am in a position where I now need to go back to where you currently feel now (medicated, as though you are "cut off from God" and can't feel Him anymore and cut off from your emotions). I longed for so many years to get to where I am now. It actually worked for about a year. But bipolar disorder is an evolving illness. It can be great one year and horrible the next. Unfortunately, there is no consistent game plan for treating this illness.

I wish you hope and recovery and belief that God loves you no matter what and cares for you. I wish I had an answer but I don't.

• Prayers
Reactions: seekingmuch
Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Seekmuch, let me just add my two cents here. I'm on Latuda right now (20mg) for bipolar after years of taking Abilify. Before that I was on Seroquel and before that, Risperdal. Of all the antipsychotics, Latuda has been the best in terms of side effects. In fact, this is the first time in my life (I was diagnosed 7 years ago) that I feel zero side effects and have felt none this entire year, while losing 50 lbs and feeling pretty good up until a few months ago. Unfortunately, the Latuda stopped working. Now, I'm in a position where I'm very creative, very inspired, and very much seeing into the "spiritual world" (most of which is delusional, as I've had strange psychotic thoughts that I've had to run by close family to see if they are rational, and they are not). I can tell you, especially since I have to type notes to myself about my treatment instead of writing them, because my handwriting has gotten so bad. I can tell you that it is better to be slightly numbed than to be psychotic. I am unable to work, and unable to court a girl I'm interested in. Would those two things still be the case if I were taking stronger drugs? Probably so. But I'd rather be that person than this one.

The inspiration that comes with bipolar is something we all love, for a short time. When it turns into mania or psychosis or both, it no longer becomes fun after a few weeks. In fact, untreated psychosis has a detrimental effect on the mind. We have, in mental illness, a degenerative sort of illness. I can't compare it to illnesses that are truly degenerative, such as Dementia. But our minds definitely get worse over time. Even without mental illness, that is true. Our minds become less effective and we are less able to learn more complicated tasks, like increasing in foreign language production in speech and understanding rapid, natural speech in a language that is not ours.

We are in a catch 22. There's no solution currently in the psychiatric world. We can live with side effects and have a relatively calm existence, which is very unfulfilling. Or, we can go on very low doses of medication, do well for awhile, descend into psychosis or mania, and wish we were stable in the mind again. It is a horrible situation to be in. I am in a position where I now need to go back to where you currently feel now (medicated, as though you are "cut off from God" and can't feel Him anymore and cut off from your emotions). I longed for so many years to get to where I am now. It actually worked for about a year. But bipolar disorder is an evolving illness. It can be great one year and horrible the next. Unfortunately, there is no consistent game plan for treating this illness.

I wish you hope and recovery and belief that God loves you no matter what and cares for you. I wish I had an answer but I don't.

I understand. Thank you for the lovely reply. I take the lowest dose of Risperdal I can. I had to get off Latuda since I can no longer afford it. It's like $1300 a month. I was getting it free from the drug company, but my thing expired and the hurricane happened and I had to go to something cheap until I can apply again. I'm starting to get my emotions back since on a low dose, and I skip a dose on off days from work. If the pills were bigger, I'd cut them in half and go to half a milligram. I'm pretty stable and was fine for years off meds. For me, one milligram of Risperdal is like a fly in a hurricane. I need just enough to take the edge off.

I actually felt infatuation for someone the other day for the first time in 2 years. I'm going to experiment with lower doses. My shrink thinks I can get off drugs entirely and take something else rather than an anti-psychotic. God has been working some things out with me. It's been really subtle. Before, he did it with a whiz bang and I resisted. It was too much too soon. We've had some epic fights. I said, "You're God and can't figure this out?!!!" LOL

I actually don't want to be cured since my Bipolar is mostly mania. My depression is more needling and not dark. I'll get down one day and be right back up the next day. I get a lot of crap, almost wrote a bad word, done and my writing is even more imaginative and raw off meds. I need my full mind to be great at it. I don't like to do anything half-butted (hey, new word). LOL

Oh, a little help for you: when you start thinking Bipolar crap, just stop. Just stop. Don't fight it. Just stop the thoughts. Will it away. It is YOUR mind not someone else's. You need to discipline your mind to think the way YOU WANT IT TO THINK!

Another thing: stop thinking! Empty your head and think of nothing. Yes, you can do it. My mind gave me a dream the other day and said, "You're totally stable so live a little."

If you are depressed, ask why. Write down the why. Or, type it. Don't let your mind dwell on it. Here's a trick: focus your eyes on a spot on the wall and rotate your eyes. If you do that, it is impossible to keep a constant thought in your head. It is EMDR in a nutshell. You can also just move your eyes to something else and it stops a thought. Thoughts lead to feelings and feelings lead to depression.

Trust me, you don't have to be a zombie to live. You have to train your mind. Bipolar is an unruly mind. Very few people have organic Bipolar (the brain is defective, basically, and requires meds).

If you are having a tough time, take a pill and calm down. Just don't rely on them all the time. Use the calm the pill gives you to force your mind to think that way even when you don't have the pill. Yes, it is possible to train your mind to do exactly that.

And, remember, all mental illness is just too much emotion. All anti-psychotics do is shut down the emotional center of the brain. That's why you feel like a zombie. I told God, "Fix it cause I ain't living like that anymore. No excuses. You're God, figure it out." He will. :))

Peace be with you!

Upvote 0