• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My meds block God and most of my emotions

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've pretty much given up on feeling anything from God. I'll have sputters here and there where I guess the meds don't control the emotional center of my brain and I'll feel something, but 99.9% of the time, I don't feel anything but "calm". It's like nothing is there. Just ho-hum. I don't think I'm that closed off to emotions. The meds just seem to have won.

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What do you feel you should be feeling beyond what you do?
Honestly, I don't feel anything 99.99% of the time. I used to feel all kinds of things. Then came meds and ruined it.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I don't feel anything 99.99% of the time. I used to feel all kinds of things. Then came meds and ruined it.

I know what you mean. I used to have overpowering feelings when I was younger. I can't explain them, and I can't say whether they were good or bad necessarily, but they were definitely there.

Even just being in certain environments would produce certain feelings, such as in the woods, or downtown, or sunny days, or rainy ones.

...When they disappear, you know something is missing.

Reactions: seekingmuch
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I empathize. I take anxiety medication. Stress isn't too much of a problem. It wasn't so much (without medication) when I was younger. But life has grown more complicated. I sometimes wonder if I need or should feel stress though, as a motivator or just to feel it.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I've pretty much given up on feeling anything from God. I'll have sputters here and there where I guess the meds don't control the emotional center of my brain and I'll feel something, but 99.9% of the time, I don't feel anything but "calm". It's like nothing is there. Just ho-hum. I don't think I'm that closed off to emotions. The meds just seem to have won.
Don't give up.

I'm bipolar, and there are many things I miss because I'm on my meds. My creative urges are simply gone. I don't write short stories or poetry anymore. I don't compose music. I don't cry when I hear particularly moving parts of songs. To me it's a really great loss. But it's worth it because I'm no longer destroying my life and my relationships.

Part of it is simply getting used to the meds. As time goes by, we learn to feel the more subtle effects of the emotions -- we kind of got used to having the in your face bowl you over emotions that were easy to read; now we are going to be subtle. :) But you are right that to a certain degree something has been lost. The thing is, consider how sick we are. What we went through. How disastrous it was. It is worth the side effects to leave that behind.

It's not uncommon to hear someone say, "I even feel I'm cut off from God." Believe it or not, people who are not on meds can go through this. But God is still there, whether we feel his presence or not. He doesn't depend upon us for his existence or his love for us. When mother Theresa was young, she felt God's presence very strongly. It is what led her to such a holy life. But according to her diary, as a young adult, that feeling went away. It was like living in darkness, that never feeling God anymore. She simply trusted anyways. And look at her life. It is a testament to faith.

I'm sure you are familiar with the story of the footprints in the sand, so I'll just simply remind you of it. :)

Open Heart

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For starters, God isn't a feeling. You're not always going to feel Him, but He's always there. Secondly, I had a psychologist/therapist keep pushing meds on me. All they did is make me extremely tired and did nothing for the manic depression. Every time I told her they didn't work, her solution was to up the dosage. After about 4 months of this, I decided it wasn't going to work for me and I gave them up

I don't recommend going cold turkey off meds, but I decided I would rather life my life and experience emotions than be exhausted day in and day out. There may be other medications you can try.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I would recommend researching MSM....... it really helped me since 1999.

This webpage is written by a doctor and is a summary of his book:

www.msm-info.com/

msm information

Stress

Many people using MSM have reported feeling better and stronger and capable of increased endurance. During a test with 14 persons using MSM for periods from seven months to over one year, none of them became ill (3). One stress study involved two groups of 25 goldfish, which were removed from a large aquarium and placed in two identical, small aquariums. One group was fed ordinary goldfish food, and the other group received the same food with 2% by weight of MSM added. Movement confinement, temperature changes and marginal oxygenation stressed the fish in both aquariums equally. After five days, only one fish of the MSM group had died, against 11 (almost 50%) of the control group (3).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
<staff edit>

<staff edit> They stabilize your moods. If they are not working, your doctor tweaks the perscription. The dosage might be upped or lowered, or changed to a different medication altogether, or one might be given a second med in addition to the first. It's a process of trial and error, because what works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm 57 years old, and was first hospitalized when I was 19. It took about 25 years for them to finally get my diagnosis correct (Bipolar 2) and another 15 years after that to get my meds right. But I'm finally off the roller coaster.

The best thing you can do is TELL your psychiatrist (make sure you are seeing a psychiatrist and not an MD) that the meds are numbing you and making you feel drugged. He can only make informed choices for you if he has all the information.

It almost sounds like you are on anti-psychotics, not mood stabilizers. Become informed about all your meds. Look them up online and find out what class of drug they are and how they work and what they are normally prescribed for. That way you can ask your doctor better questions. But don't second guess your doctor -- he's had something like ten years of school to learn how to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
<staff edit> They stabilize your moods. If they are not working, your doctor tweaks the perscription. The dosage might be upped or lowered, or changed to a different medication altogether, or one might be given a second med in addition to the first. It's a process of trial and error, because what works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm 57 years old, and was first hospitalized when I was 19. It took about 25 years for them to finally get my diagnosis correct (Bipolar 2) and another 15 years after that to get my meds right. But I'm finally off the roller coaster.

The best thing you can do is TELL your psychiatrist (make sure you are seeing a psychiatrist and not an MD) that the meds are numbing you and making you feel drugged. He can only make informed choices for you if he has all the information.

It almost sounds like you are on anti-psychotics, not mood stabilizers. Become informed about all your meds. Look them up online and find out what class of drug they are and how they work and what they are normally prescribed for. That way you can ask your doctor better questions. But don't second guess your doctor -- he's had something like ten years of school to learn how to do this.
This was a few years ago. I haven't been on them since, but I will see about a new doctor and doing just that. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's actually interesting . I do not take any meds but feel like OP but I have some feelings like sadness or being happy when somebody gets saved .
These meds that you take might cause you to have brain fog or something similar and they should make you calm but not emotionless .

You could look at your dopamine levels ( the reward system ) , your brain is rewarding you for doing stuff by releasing dopamine , maybe you don't have enought and feel like you are not rewarded for doing stuff so you actually have no motivation to keep doing them .

Upvote 0

Desires Light

Refreshingly different.
Jun 4, 2018
Queensland
✟10,388.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Meds don't block spiritual communication, unless you can't hear your conscience. So long as you can feel thing's normally & your not zombified, you'd be just fine. Talk to your conscience, Gods spirit speaks to us through our conscience.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Meds don't block spiritual communication, unless you can't hear your conscience. So long as you can feel thing's normally & your not zombified, you'd be just fine. Talk to your conscience, Gods spirit speaks to us through our conscience.

Due to 18 years of emotional abuse by my father and feeling guilty for even being alive let alone being human, it took years to free myself from an overactive conscience. Your conscience can be trained wrong, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please Note

This thread has been cleaned. Post discouraging the use of medications are not permitted.
The thread went off topic, and those posts were edited or removed.

Great discussion. Thanks for keeping it going well.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Due to 18 years of emotional abuse by my father and feeling guilty for even being alive let alone being human, it took years to free myself from an overactive conscience. Your conscience can be trained wrong, too.

Ouch!

I was never really abused, but other circumstance or a combination of such, may be the reason I never had much in the way of those emoticons to begin with as I indicated early on here.

Upvote 0

Desires Light

Refreshingly different.
Jun 4, 2018
Queensland
✟10,388.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you keep looking for problems with yourself you will eventually find them.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Latuda is an anti-psychotic. I ate mood stabilizers like someone would eat candy. They did not calm me down.
I think you need to have a heart to heart with your psychiatrist. I have no idea what your diagnosis is. But I know that mania is not treated by tranquelizing it. You need more information and your doctor certainly needs feedback from you in order for you and him/her to make the best decisions together for your care. Let him know exactly what you are telling us about how the tranqs are killing your feelings and ability to feel God and stuff.

It is unfortunately trial and error to find the meds that work for us. We have to be very patient. I was misdiagnosed for 25 years, and then it was another 15 years before they finally found the right combination of meds that worked for me.

Upvote 0