Canada
✟12,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I had a post in the Women's Dicussion about it but I thought to put it here.

Tonight at 9pm my hamster, Hammie was fine. 10:30 he couldn't walk. I didn't really want to leave him alone so my friend Melisa came up and I cleaned the cage so that he can die in a nice clean environment. Left him some fresh water and food just in case. I know this may seem silly to some but I really enjoyed having him around. My cats would watch him run on his wheel and if I stood outside his cage and said his name he would come running to me and look at me with his nice, warm eyes.

His breathing is rough and he has spasms everynow and then.

I also can't believe that at my age I cried like a baby over it.

Reactions: bubblegirl23

laurabelle778

May 29, 2005
✟7,683.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
You know what? I definitely know how it feels to lose a pet, especially a hamster. Last April, my beloved Herbie died unexpectedly. We had had her over a year, and it was just so hard to watch her leave us. I kept blaming myself over and over; I was afraid my room was too warm, I had exercised her too much, made her too stressed out for some odd reason, and then we found a bee right beside her cage, and I blamed myself for that. It's just all meant to happen though. God brings these little furry angels into our lives with so much joy and so many good memories, but they are only meant to stay for so long.

I have a new little angel right now though; her name is Snowball, and she's spinning so happily on her wheel right now.

Upvote 0

serafaith

Apr 21, 2005
Fairfield, Ct.
✟8,016.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Halifaxhoney...I, too, am sorry for your loss of a pet. For someone with a loving and caring heart, you never outgrow the need to grieve when a pet passes. I have two much-loved cats and will be devestated when their time on earth is finished. Just try and rest in the knowledge of how much love you gave your pet and how much you took good care of him. You've given him a piece of "heaven on earth" and I know God honors that. Blessings to you......:hug:

Upvote 0

Anna N. Amos

Jul 15, 2004
✟770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am sorry.

http://www.petsyclopedia.com/hamsters/health.xml

Hamster's lifespan

Hamster's lifespan, on average, about two years. Sometime with good health care, the lifespan can be three or four years, but chances are that, as wonderful as the experience of having a hamster is, unfortunely most of us will need to grieve the loss of our little friends sooner than we had hoped.

When you start to notice your elderly hamster sleeping longer during the day, changing thier eating patterns, and not grooming as much as usual, you'll need to start preparing your children for what's to come.

Explain to your child what to expect and make sure your child gets enough time to spend with their pet during these last weeks or months.

Remind your children that the hamster does NOT know things are changing. He's not worried about it. In all likelihood he just feels a little more sleepy and dreamy, and that's why he's not doing all the things he usually does.

You don't get to keep a hamster forever, but you do get to keep the memories always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.