Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And don't forget:

Eight people got off the Ark.

That is one doosey of a bottleneck event.

Would have been. The fact that we can't see it tells us that either there was no such event, or that God had to lie to "cover his tracks". Which one is it?

But that's nothing compared to Genesis 2, where the world's population was down (up, actually) to only two people.

Stay away from handguns if you value your toes AV.

And if that's not believable, I can make it more impossible:

In Genesis 1, at one time, the human population was "down" to one person!

And if that isn't a mockery of science, I can even best that:

That one person was a male!

Those who want to argue, using the Flood as some kind of bottleneck event are being too easy on us!

Oh I know that. Now it seems that you know how ridiculous your mythical beliefs are too.

Once again, avoid handguns. That is if you don't want your friends calling you "Hopalong".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The fact that we can't see it tells us that either there was no such event, or that God had to lie to "cover his tracks".
In other words, you're saying we should all be inbred depressed -- is that what you're saying?

Maybe God didn't want that, so He's willing to be called a "liar" by the educated, because He loves them too?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In other words, you're saying we should all be inbred depressed -- is that what you're saying?

Maybe God didn't want that, so He's willing to be called a "liar" by the educated, because He loves them too?
No, not what I am saying at all. You have to posit a lying God to have your beliefs. Why would your God do such a hideous act as the flood of Noah, go to such great lengths to cover it up, and then brag about it in a book? You are not only painting a picture of lying God, you are making your God to look to be irrational and insane.

I think that it is far less blasphemous to treat the story as a morality tale than as the literal truth.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would your God do such a hideous act as the flood of Noah, go to such great lengths to cover it up, and then brag about it in a book?
Wow.

I'm a literalist.

Is this what I should be thinking?

If so ... no, thanks.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you realize the errors of your ways?

I seriously doubt if you do.
You should doubt it.

After reading up on bottleneck events, I'm convinced that blessing in Genesis 9:1 goes much deeper than just giving them fertility.

I'm convinced God restructured their alleles and fitter genes to handle His command to replenish the earth, while at the same time, combating inbreed depression.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
it is logical to think that there was a massive flood in humanities past which helped to inspire not only the genesis mythology but countless other peoples mythologies. it is foolish to think that genesis is a word for word account of history.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
it is logical to think that there was a massive flood in humanities past which helped to inspire not only the genesis mythology but countless other peoples mythologies. it is foolish to think that genesis is a word for word account of history.

No, it is logical to conclude that different areas that lived on waterways, that tend to flood, were flooded at some time in the past. Some of those various floods would be large and stories would arise as a result of them. The "flood" of Noah has been identified. That does no good for any flood stories in the New World since they were separated from the Old World at the time that flood occurred.

So not one flood story all around the world, but various flood stories that due to the nature of floods share certain common factors.

And some areas do not even have flood myths.

But you are right about taking Genesis literally.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You should doubt it.

After reading up on bottleneck events, I'm convinced that blessing in Genesis 9:1 goes much deeper than just giving them fertility.

I'm convinced God restructured their alleles and fitter genes to handle His command to replenish the earth, while at the same time, combating inbreed depression.

Handwaving is merely a dishonest way to lose. You can't over come a bottleneck with fertility. Try again.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, not what I am saying at all. You have to posit a lying God to have your beliefs. Why would your God do such a hideous act as the flood of Noah, go to such great lengths to cover it up, and then brag about it in a book? You are not only painting a picture of lying God, you are making your God to look to be irrational and insane.

I think that it is far less blasphemous to treat the story as a morality tale than as the literal truth.
Reading this thread, it's apparent to me that you have created a scenario and then assigned it to Christians in order to be able to ridicule the faith. If what they actually believe were the subject, there would be no issue here at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Reading this thread, it's apparent to me that you have created a scenario and then assigned it to Christians in order to be able to ridicule the faith. If what they actually believe were the subject, there would be no issue here at all.

Wrong, beliefs of certain Christians are not only wrong, they are laughably wrong. There is no "ridiculing" except for pointing out the obvious. There was no flood of Noah. If you don't want to learn how we know that then you can merely keep yourself ignorant. But then of course you have no right to complain when your children are taught reality in schools.

The Christian faith is not dependent upon the myths of Genesis. If you claim that it is then you are in essence claiming that your faith is wrong.

My Goosenecks Challenge is merely designed to show how geologists know that there was no flood of Noah. It is not an attempt to refute all of Christianity.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Handwaving is merely a dishonest way to lose. You can't over come a bottleneck with fertility. Try again.
I said it goes much deeper than fertility, didn't I?

And if you can't overcome a bottleneck event with fertility, what do you overcome it with?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For what? the earth to regrow, for example, olive trees? those take cultivars.

For new mutations to appear.

With millions of mutations in our genome a few thousand years is not anywhere near enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Wrong, beliefs of certain Christians are not only wrong, they are laughably wrong.

Not wrong. But here's the point. You can find some Christians who believe almost anything. Then you can ridicule all of Christianity on account of those atypical beliefs. It's a sweet game, but it's just a game being played, since Christianity and its God are not defined that way.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Not wrong. But here's the point. You can find some Christians who believe almost anything. Then you can ridicule all of Christianity on account of those atypical beliefs. It's a sweet game, but it's just a game being played, since Christianity and its God are not defined that way.

But that is not what I am doing. I do not ridicule all of Christianity. Only those that go out of their way to earn it.

So yes, you were wrong.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Example please.

No. Do your own homework for once. Unless you can promise to try to be honest. I get tired of the dishonesty of certain posters here. It is time for you to do some basic research.

Upvote 0