Houston
✟10,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
so a self replicating watch that made from organic components isnt a watch too but a living creature.

If the watch is selfreplicating on a cellular level (and not just pieces of meat stapled together), yes it would be a living creature. We would call it 'watchdog' and walk it in the park. Shame it does not exist :( So if taken literally, irrelevant to your point. If it is used as an analogy even worse.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
ok. so a robot isnt evidence for design according to your criteria. thanks.
A robot--however you want to define it--is only evidence for design if it bears evidence of MANUFACTURE. How many times are we going to have to explain this to you?

Your attempt to twist what I wrote into the statement "a robot is evidence for design" is offensive and disgusting.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
so a robot that has a self replicaiting system can evolve naturally accoroding to your criteria. but again: its impossible as far as we know.
Is your fictitious robot penguin an animal or a machine?

You made up the fictional character and ask us to comment on it. We cannot comment on it until we know what you are talking about.

• Optimistic
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
this is just a belief.
...about a fictional robot penguin. How can I possibly make proven statements about a fictional robot penguin that makes no sense to me?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
no. i talking about a regular watch that has a self replicating system and made from organic components. will you call it a watch or not?

Show us an example of a "regular watch" that is made from organic components and capable of self-replication.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
If the watch is selfreplicating on a cellular level (and not just pieces of meat stapled together), yes it would be a living creature. We would call it 'watchdog' and walk it in the park. Shame it does not exist :( So if taken literally, irrelevant to your point. If it is used as an analogy even worse.
so this isnt a watch if it self replicating and made from organic components?:

original_wood-watch-bear.jpg

(image from Bear Wood Watch)

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
A robot--however you want to define it--is only evidence for design if it bears evidence of MANUFACTURE. How many times are we going to have to explain this to you?

Your attempt to twist what I wrote into the statement "a robot is evidence for design" is offensive and disgusting.
sorry but this is what i understand from your answer to my question: "i need to prove that a robot need a designer? realy?"

and your answer was "yes". means that we cant be sure that a robot need a designer. or in other words: that a robot may evolve by a natural process.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
thanks. so you will still call it a watch. if so: why not considering a walking animal also as robot?
It's really not difficult:

If a watch could reproduce, it would be a watch that could reproduce, by definition.
If a pig could fly, it would be a pig that could fly, by definition.
If a xianghu could understand simple logic, it would be a xianghu that could understand simple logic, by definition.

But none of the above are real objects, they're just imaginary hypotheticals.

And that doesn't mean that a robot is an animal, or that an animal is a robot, walking or otherwise. Robots are not alive - is that so hard to understand?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
And that doesn't mean that a robot is an animal, or that an animal is a robot, walking or otherwise. Robots are not alive - is that so hard to understand?

ok. but why? why we cant call a walking animal a kind of a robot? because its made from organic components? this is the big difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
ok. but why? why we cant call a walking animal a kind of a robot? because its made from organic components? this is the big difference?
No. As we become more adept at genetic engineering, it will no doubt become possible to build machines by growing them rather than making them out of metal and plastic in machine shops and foundries. So, organic robots are feasible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Most obviously, robots are not living creatures, and animals are living creatures.

The words are different because there are fundamental differences in the two types or classes of things that need to be distinguished for effective communication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

original_wood-watch-bear.jpg

Are you claiming it's self-replicating and made 100% from organic materials? If it is it's a new species that needs to be properly investigated. Chances are it will get a different name.

If it's not, it's still just a watch. Manufactured by man.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You can metaphorically call an animal a robot.

Metaphors are fine.

The problem is that you use a metaphor and say that since you used that metaphor every thing that is true about a robot is true about that animal.

That is not fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The problem is that you use a metaphor and say that since you used that metaphor every thing that is true about a robot is true about that animal.

Which is of course the fallacy of False Equivalence. Which has been explained to xianghua repeatedly, but he appears to not give a crap.

Upvote 0

Archie Dupont

Nov 25, 2017
Houston
✟10,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship

This is not organic material that can self replicate. It is dead wood. Like I said: "not pieces of meat stapled together"

Upvote 0

Archie Dupont

Nov 25, 2017
Houston
✟10,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
@xianghua maybe now is the time, instead of asking us all the questions, you giving us your definitions of the following things:

Robot:

Organic material/components:

Self replication:

Design:

Until you provide insight into your definitions on these subjects we cannot continue to talk about this.
You are just asking things in the hope that our answers will be inconsistent or wrong, so you can pin it on us and claim intellectual high ground. Meanwhile you avoid going into the details yourself

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Most obviously, robots are not living creatures, and animals are living creatures.

The words are different because there are fundamental differences in the two types or classes of things that need to be distinguished for effective communication.

but i asked what is the difference that make one of them to be a creature and one of them to be a robot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.