Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awwwwww she looks like a puppy.....cute......she's chock full of personality...reflected in here eyes, mostly :D

Yeah it just made me think, what a crazy dog, what does it say about God that Lilly is how she is? Somehow I can’t picture Jesus playing with a dog, but there are examples of good animal stewardship in Noah, and a proverb about how cruelty to animals is wicked.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah it just made me think, what a crazy dog, what does it say about God that Lilly is how she is? Somehow I can’t picture Jesus playing with a dog, but there are examples of good animal stewardship in Noah, and a proverb about how animal cruelty is wicked.

I agree. I don't know if i can picture Jesus playing with a dog either, but He surely does love Lilly's unique characteristics and surely created that uniqueness in each of His creatures.

What does that say about our Creator?

• Winner
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I did mean my dog is crazy

I have two of them and there is no easy solution for that. One will bring toys to throw & fetch all day long. The other would never bring you something for any reason. The best he can do is drop it on demand.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have two of them and there is no easy solution for that. One will bring toys to throw & fetch all day long. The other would never bring you something for any reason. The best he can do is drop it on demand.

Yep, they’re all different

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A better title for this post might have been ‘aspects of God’. I have learned what I know about God from a combination of reading, practicing and reflecting on the Bible, but there are so many things in life that make me think ‘what does that say about God?’. The most profound of these have been on long hikes surrounded by dramatic scenery, but there are odd times when something strikes me and makes me think ‘what does that say about God’, like what does the particular crazy character of my dog say about God and his creation? There is so much about God that I feel just slips past me. I’m curious to know if other people have had similar thoughts when struck by something that hints at some aspect of God
Interesting.

I have two dogs. One a Yellow Lab and one a double rescue dog mixed German Shepherd and Bassett.

The Yellow dog is kind, sweet and greets EVERYONE like a happy child. This reminds me of what Jesus said the Kingdom of God is like a child's faith.

Then there is Penny the German Shepherd Bassett mix. She's had a rough life and now has found our loving and caring family. She was abused on a farm snapped at the kids abusing her, was pregnant at the time and had all her puppies taken from her. She was sent to the pound. Our neighbors adopted her (not dog people), she kept escaping their yard and ended up at my front door several times a week wanting to be with Sandy my Yellow Lab. After a few weeks the neighbors were ready to send Penny back to the pound and certain death.

Well we offered to take Penny in. She was great with my boys and Sandy and most of the pets save one cat. The cat of course laid down the law and they live in detente. :)

Moral of the story, I saw a surely damned dog change once grace was offered. She will never be like Sandy who from the start had the childlike faith and love. What makes Penny different is she knows the evil of man's fallen world, knows the compassion of a good home but remains ever vigilant of strangers. She has become the protector of home and family and will never stray more than a few feet from her elderly sister Sandy.

So yes even in this fallen world we can find God's wonderful plan of salvation by His Grace in our every day lives.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.

I have two dogs. One a Yellow Lab and one a double rescue dog mixed German Shepherd and Bassett.

The Yellow dog is kind, sweet and greets EVERYONE like a happy child. This reminds me of what Jesus said the Kingdom of God is like a child's faith.

Then there is Penny the German Shepherd Bassett mix. She's had a rough life and now has found our loving and caring family. She was abused on a farm snapped at the kids abusing her, was pregnant at the time and had all her puppies taken from her. She was sent to the pound. Our neighbors adopted her (not dog people), she kept escaping their yard and ended up at my front door several times a week wanting to be with Sandy my Yellow Lab. After a few weeks the neighbors were ready to send Penny back to the pound and certain death.

Well we offered to take Penny in. She was great with my boys and Sandy and most of the pets save one cat. The cat of course laid down the law and they live in detente. :)

Moral of the story, I saw a surely damned dog change once grace was offered. She will never be like Sandy who from the start had the childlike faith and love. What makes Penny different is she knows the evil of man's fallen world, knows the compassion of a good home but remains ever vigilant of strangers. She has become the protector of home and family and will never stray more than a few feet from her elderly sister Sandy.

So yes even in this fallen world we can find God's wonderful plan of salvation by His Grace in our every day lives.

Yes the affects of environment are so clearly seen in dogs

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.

I don’t know if you’ve ever read anything by John Eldrege but he has some interesting thoughts on the role God may have intended for dogs.

Penny was lucky you and your family were there for her.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes the affects of environment are so clearly seen in dogs
In us too!

Think of our fallen state and then when we are born again given residence in Heavenly places as adopted children co-inheritors with Christ.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Penny was lucky you and your family were there for her.
Come on Tom there is no such thing as luck. :)

You can say I am a sucker for a hard case, but that was all part of the design.

There is nothing in this creation which escapes God's sovereign design.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know if you’ve ever read anything by John Eldrege but he has some interesting thoughts on the role God may have intended for dogs.
Was his thesis that man bred dogs to be everything mankind has failed at in their relationship with God?

If so, I've had thoughts about that as well.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was his thesis that man bred dogs to be everything mankind has failed at in their relationship with God?

If so, I've had thoughts about that as well.

Not quite, but I’d be interested to hear what you think

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not quite, but I’d be interested to hear what you think
Mankind has bred dogs to be faithful, loyal, with unconditional love for their masters. As guardians a sort of defender of the faith (watch dogs etc).

I would add a dash of appreciation all dogs have for the humans who care for them. And a reciprocal love which is genuine and not robotic.

We can really find where we fail with God in how our dogs don't fail us.

I would also hazard to say every time a dog of mine did something bad like chewing on shoes to digging huge holes in the backyard, they have exhibited a guilt for doing the bad things.

I had a Beagle years ago who loved leather. We had to put hasp locks on the closets as she figured out how to get the sliding doors open (Beagles and Jack Russells are smarter than humans). The only leather object I had out was my Thompson's Chain Bible. A wedding gift from my brother. Wife and I came home from a nice dinner one night and Trooper the Beagle was nowhere to be found. She was hiding under the bed and in the living room was the chewed up Bible. I was furious but bit my lip as I was the one who left out the Bible. My brother came to visit the next week and he was a bit upset about it. I assured him ol Trooper was hungry for the Word and we should leave it at that. But the dog knew she did a no no.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haha yes I definitely sense that my dog knows when she has done something wrong, there are subtle differences in her body language. I'm not sure if it's something she picks up from me or if it originates in her, like a kind of go with the impulse then feel bad about it later kind of thing. A Cambridge professor and author of the 'science delusion', Rupert Sheldrake, has some interesting ideas about how communication takes between animals and other animals (and people), in that same book and in others. He's a biologist by training but questions and rejects the idea that what we see in nature is 'robotic' or mechanistic - you can see his Ted talk here: the science delusion - Yahoo Video Search Results
I think it varies a lot in dogs too, the guilty feelings lol - my mother in law's dog used to get out of the yard and run around all day with other dogs. It's hard to find a vet who will sterilise your dog here in Romania so this was a problem - my mother in law tried watching Cleo from the living room to see how she was getting out, but she knew she was being watched, and would just sit there, looking innocent! I watched her once from right back in the room, through a crack in the curtains, and saw her climb along the chicken wire fence like a monkey, then just kind of vault herself over the fence. She definitely knew she was misbehaving but didn't care.
There's a lot that's interesting in the reciprocal relationship humans have with dogs I agree, like how wolves don't bark, the idea being that dogs developed this ability in order to be able to warn humans of danger.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have had 2 dogs. One died 18 months ago.
This is what I find crazy about these 2 dogs.
They have such unconditional love. My current dog hates to be teased, that is me pulling on her tail or kicking snow on her, she always runs away from me. But she is always glad to see me and can not get enough petting.
There is no doubt in my mind that she loves me with all of her heart.
Now the crazy part.
I have noticed in my 3 years of owning dogs that they are quite self-centered.
Feed me, play with me, I have to go outside, take me for a walk, pet me, etc.
Even there love could be construed as self-centered as being with me brings them joy.
To me that is crazy. That said, I absolutely love my dog and spoil her.
And I still like to pull on her tail and kick snow on her.
Even threatening to do so sends her running with her tail wagging.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums