Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A better title for this post might have been ‘aspects of God’. I have learned what I know about God from a combination of reading, practicing and reflecting on the Bible, but there are so many things in life that make me think ‘what does that say about God?’. The most profound of these have been on long hikes surrounded by dramatic scenery, but there are odd times when something strikes me and makes me think ‘what does that say about God’, like what does the particular crazy character of my dog say about God and his creation? There is so much about God that I feel just slips past me. I’m curious to know if other people have had similar thoughts when struck by something that hints at some aspect of God

Reactions: Sarah G

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A better title for this post might have been ‘aspects of God’. I have learned what I know about God from a combination of reading, practicing and reflecting on the Bible, but there are so many things in life that make me think ‘what does that say about God?’. The most profound of these have been on long hikes surrounded by dramatic scenery, but there are odd times when something strikes me and makes me think ‘what does that say about God’, like what does the particular crazy character of my dog say about God and his creation? There is so much about God that I feel just slips past me. I’m curious to know if other people have had similar thoughts when struck by something that hints at some aspect of God

Sorry, i'm not grasping what you mean. The title perhaps threw me LOL!

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, i'm not grasping what you mean. The title perhaps threw me LOL!

Haha yeah. I suppose I’m thinking about the process of getting to know God through everyday life, as in what does this or that thing say about God. Putting aside that dogs are just domesticated wolves for another post, what does it say about God that dogs have so much personality? That’s just an example, something I thought, I was wondering what other people have experienced that has made them think ‘what does that say about God’?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Haha yeah. I suppose I’m thinking about the process of getting to know God through everyday life, as in what does this or that thing say about God. Putting aside that dogs are just domesticated wolves for another post, what does it say about God that dogs have so much personality? That’s just an example, something I thought, I was wondering what other people have experienced that has made them think ‘what does that say about God’?

It's a good point about dogs having so much personality. I believe that God delights in His creatures that He created, and that would mean that they, in turn, would reflect that delightfulness.

I believe that there is a reason we have an affinity for God's creatures, and that is because God intended it. That is why His creatures are able to "minister" to us, such as comfort us, etc.

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the Bible more so explains why the world is a train wreck than it agues against it being a train wreck. If the argument is a strange world being used to refute the Bible. But, I'll play your game lol...

'What does the vacancy rate of celestial bodies say about God?'
That one always boggled my mind. Why isn't the universe set up with physics where heat from a sun could somehow send perfect levels of heat waves to both near and far planets? Or at the very least why isn't their way more celestial bodies with (confirmed) life? It's like finding a 10 story shopping mall the size of Texas...and the only storefront so far that you have found that is not vacant is 90 miles into the mall in a north east direction, and it's on the 8th floor, storefront #879,542. They sell newspapers & wraps there, the owner's name is Larry. So far all of the other stores are empty lol. Ok maybe you'll eventually find another store that's open for business, but the vacancy rate is just bizarre lol. Does that one perplex anyone else?

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No attempt to refute the bible. Just curious about things that have made people think about different aspects of God’s character outside of the bible, in everyday life. Like the example you gave - things that just make you stop and think ‘what does that say about God?’

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No attempt to refute the bible. Just curious about things that have made people think about different aspects of God’s character outside of the bible, in everyday life. Like the example you gave - things that just make you stop and think ‘what does that say about God?’

Interesting.....

Regarding post #5 (the train wreck), what comes to mind for me is sin, and the fall of man, and the utter destruction and depravity of man in all his glory.

What also comes to mind is the twisted-ness of Satan, and the lies and deception and utter audacity to attempt to place the blame for evil and destruction on God.

It is Jesus Christ Himself Who said that Satan is the father of lies and a murderer from the beginning.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What does it say about God that there existed this hidden treasure chest/toy box for humanity called advanced technology...and it took many thousands of years at least to really uncover the fun toys (cars, electricity, DVD box set of Seinfeld lol). But for what seemed like an eternity people had none of this great stuff...oh and by the way the toy box of technology unfortunately also has evil toys of destruction like nukes.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What does it say about God that there existed this hidden treasure chest/toy box for humanity called advanced technology...and it took many thousands of years at least to really uncover the fun toys (cars, electricity, DVD box set of Seinfeld lol). But for what seemed like an eternity people had none of this great stuff...oh and by the way the toy box of technology unfortunately also has evil toys of destruction like nukes.

Akin to a Pandora's Box, so to speak?

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chocolate and hazelnut spread tells me that God loves me and wants me to be happy :D

I think God's sense of humour is the aspect that breaks through some of my learned or conditioned concepts most often. When I have been praying on something and God causes something so delightfully hilarious that I am just blown away by my own ridiculous, petty, faithless, pitifully limited concept of reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Bible more so explains why the world is a train wreck than it agues against it being a train wreck. If the argument is a strange world being used to refute the Bible. But, I'll play your game lol...

'What does the vacancy rate of celestial bodies say about God?'
That one always boggled my mind. Why isn't the universe set up with physics where heat from a sun could somehow send perfect levels of heat waves to both near and far planets? Or at the very least why isn't their way more celestial bodies with (confirmed) life? It's like finding a 10 story shopping mall the size of Texas...and the only storefront so far that you have found that is not vacant is 90 miles into the mall in a north east direction, and it's on the 8th floor, storefront #879,542. They sell newspapers & wraps there, the owner's name is Larry. So far all of the other stores are empty lol. Ok maybe you'll eventually find another store that's open for business, but the vacancy rate is just bizarre lol. Does that one perplex anyone else?

I’ll add that to the list of things I’m perplexed by lol!

Upvote 0

Urban_Legend

Oct 21, 2017
Cape Town
✟20,013.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ive been thinking about (Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.) and feel that I have quite a deep or complexed understanding of that statement after what I believe is some sort of revelation that came to me...

I believe that the bible is the word of God, that the bible is some sort of message or information about God that he wants us to know, about him and who he is, but after really indulging in Romans 1v20 in particular, ive come to understand and belive that not only by the word God we know who he is but by all things that he made. In Genesis 1:26 the bible says God created man in their image, with their likeness... so my understanding is that humans have the same emotional makeup as God, we need and long for the things God does(I'm not saying God is in need of anything) we have a sense of being loved like he does, we feel sad, we have a sense of a need for fellowship and having relationships, we create and repair just like him, in his likeness just to name a few. So basically what I believe is that looking at humans we can have an idea of how God is, emotionally and spirituality. The same goes with Romans 1:26, we can further know who God is and his nature by looking at everything that he created. Everything from the birds in the sky, how they live and how they die...to the plants that grow, the way they are uniquely made with an instinctive character can all help us understand the nature of God.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive been thinking about (Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.) and feel that I have quite a deep or complexed understanding of that statement after what I believe is some sort of revelation that came to me...

I believe that the bible is the word of God, that the bible is some sort of message or information about God that he wants us to know, about him and who he is, but after really indulging in Romans 1v20 in particular, ive come to understand and belive that not only by the word God we know who he is but by all things that he made. In Genesis 1:26 the bible says God created man in their image, with their likeness... so my understanding is that humans have the same emotional makeup as God, we need and long for the things God does(I'm not saying God is in need of anything) we have a sense of being loved like he does, we feel sad, we have a sense of a need for fellowship and having relationships, we create and repair just like him, in his likeness just to name a few. So basically what I believe is that looking at humans we can have an idea of how God is, emotionally and spirituality. The same goes with Romans 1:26, we can further know who God is and his nature by looking at everything that he created. Everything from the birds in the sky, how they live and how they die...to the plants that grow, the way they are uniquely made with an instinctive character can all help us understand the nature of God.

Yes brother! That’s kind of what I was thinking (more or less) when I wrote the post

Reactions: Urban_Legend
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello TomF and UrbanL
Job 12
7“But ask the beasts, and they will teach you;
the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you;
8or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you;
and the fish of the sea will declare to you.
9Who among all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this?
10In his hand is the life of every living thing
and the breath of all mankind.

The first time I ever read Job this passage spoke to me, being as it is a parallel declaration to what Paul says in Romans 1:2.
As well of course, Our Father teaches us a lot about human nature through observing animal nature. When He created sheep was it already with the purpose of using them as a teaching aid, as in John 10?
The creation is indeed full of 'information' about God and shows forth his power and glory but I think in the incarnation, at the cross (high and lifted up) we see something about God that the creation alone cannot reveal.
Go well
><>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
7E5EFD9D-4F6F-4996-94DB-50A458161DE1.jpeg
Well there ya' go....i was intrigued with the title and i was looking forward to just how crazy your dog is.

^_^

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0