Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dare not to say you can't vouch for the whole list.
But then again, on what ground do you think that Lister's teachers did plant a mistrust in science in Lister's head?
Lister developed antiseptic surgery, despite of what you think of creationists being brain dead or the blind leading the blind -- or whatever it is you think of them.

I can't remember and don't care.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,554.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Lister developed antiseptic surgery,
I know. In the 19th century England.
despite of what you think of creationists being brain dead or the blind leading the blind -- or whatever it is you think of them.
*sigh*
Again: there was a time when all know data was in agreement with a creationist world view and no known data was in contradiction with it. Hence, it was "good science" to accept the creation story as true. With the development of geology, glaciology, paleontology and so more and more empirical evidence piled up against a literal reading of the bible. That is when creationists became anti science: William Jennings Bryan, Richard Owen, Sammuel Wilberfoce being the big names of the day. That seem to be a piece of information you are unable to process. Scientists are eager to improve their knowledge, and when a previously held position turns out to be wrong, discard it as ballast. Lister worked at the turning point of the great scientific revolution.
20th and 21st century creationists - note: a different century than the one Lister was living in - have indeed developped a hate of science. In opposition to the pre-darwinian creationists.
Another example of "science embracing creationism":
20000626-2.gif

note that the caption says "scientists", not any specific discipline of science.

You haven't by the way not yet demonstrated that he was an creationist after all the discoveries made.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
20th and 21st century creationists - note: a different century than the one Lister was living in - have indeed developped a hate of science.
It must really bug you then, to know that my ophthalmologist is a YEC; unless you consider him an exception to your prejudice.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,554.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It must really bug you then, to know that my ophthalmologist is a YEC; unless you consider him an exception to your prejudice.
Just like James Tour (organic synthesis) he has chose a niche where there is no chance of hearing stuff that might challenge his believes.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just like James Tour (organic synthesis) he has chose a niche where there is no chance of hearing stuff that might challenge his believes.
You mean like that HOW WE DIDN'T GET OUR EYE argument that junk science likes to bring up every once in awhile?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. Like, he find a safe space where his fragile weak believes wont be challenged.
It's nice to know ophthalmology school doesn't challenge YEC beliefs.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's depressing that people don't want their beliefs to be challenged. And a sign of weakness.
LOL

Our beliefs are challenged all the time.

Constantly.

That's why you won't see the Ten Commandments on the courthouse lawn, we're called SHEEPLE and a host of other things, told to go live in caves, and can't get employment.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,554.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our beliefs are challenged all the time.

Constantly.

That's why you won't see the Ten Commandments on the courthouse lawn,
Which is not a challenge to your beliefs. The truth value of what you beliefs isn't under scrutiny. What is denied is the use of a government building for the public display of your religious paraphernalia. As in agreement with the first amendment of your constitution. So this one is a fail of yours.
we're called SHEEPLE and a host of other things, told to go live in caves,
Which - if true - is still not a challenge to your beliefs. The truth value of what you beliefs isn't under scrutiny. So again a fail of yours.
and can't get employment.
Which is not a challenge to your beliefs. The truth value of what you beliefs isn't under scrutiny. So this one is a fail of yours. As your ophtamologist has found employment I will take that with a grain of salt too.

None of the examples are a challenge to what you belief. If true it is at best a challenge to your loyalty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,554.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's depressing that people don't want their beliefs to be challenged. And a sign of weakness.
For clarity: to challenge your belief is to, test the truth value of what yopu believe. Not experiencing a real or imaginary persecution. It can be done through discussion, or study or by gaining information from new sources.
It is the sign of the weakling, the insecure to shield his or her believes from such inquiries and challenges.
That is what set sciences apart from religion. the different sciences test and challenge their theories continuously and in a way as varied as possible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does the truth value of the ten commandments depends on them hanging on display at a courthouse, yes or no?
No.

Those Ten Commandments are cause-and-effect evidence for the existence of God; and having them removed, then claiming there's no evidence for the existence of God is collegiate.

Academia considers the word of God as maleware and firewalls It.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,946.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
No.

Those Ten Commandments are cause-and-effect evidence for the existence of God; and having them removed, then claiming there's no evidence for the existence of God is collegiate.

Academia considers the word of God as maleware and firewalls It.
For this Lover of God, the Ten Commandments have absolutely zero effect on God being a reality in my life. Now, take away the Life Force running all thru the Cosmos, than you might have something something there. Just Sayn'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For this Lover of God, the Ten Commandments have absolutely zero effect on God being a reality in my life.
But what about those who are affected by it?

You know?
  1. Can't sleep at night because the Ten Commandments are in public view?
  2. Have to drive past three crosses on a hill to get to work?
  3. Wife wants to put a Bible on the coffee table?
  4. Neighbors next door get in a circle in their backyard and sing Kumbaya?
  5. Church bells ringing down the street on Sunday morning?
  6. Cars driving by with bumper stickers saying: GOD IS MY PILOT?
  7. And twice a year (Easter & Christmas) all holly breaks loose?
It's enough to drive an atheist insane.

Cause-and-Effect can be a bear, can't it?

Acts 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

You know?
You need to move to a real neighbourhood.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟731,946.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

You know?
It's enough to drive an atheist insane.

Cause-and-Effect can be a bear, can't it?

Acts 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
I don't see how any of these points have anything to do with the existence of God. Personal ego stuff maybe be?.. yes. But other than that I don't see it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see how any of these points have anything to do with the existence of God. Personal ego stuff maybe be?.. yes. But other than that I don't see it.
Wow.

And this coming from someone who claims he can see God behind every green tree.

(Minus Christmas trees, of course.)

Upvote 0