• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

my dad died on 30 july 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doreen

Can I go back to sleep now?
Mar 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
he died very suddenly due to massive septasemia through out his system and I didn't get to say good-bye to him.
my mom isn't coping very well either.
my youngest daughter is doing ok but my eldest who is 14 is in major depression and so am I. I can't cope with the grief and stuff. it hurts soooo bad and I miss him so much.
my 14 yr old won't go to the doctor or anything to get help. she spends most of her time asleep which isn't good.
with christmas coming up things aren't easy cause my mom and I don't want to do things the same but my aunts want all the fuss and bother like christmas trees, a big lunch and stuff. I am having lunch with friends with my kids while mom doesn't want to do anything. my aunt(mom's sister) is putting pressure on me to act like nothing has happened, etc. fell like IA'm going to explode!

Hi Doreen,

You certainly have a bagful of difficult situations to burden you on top of your own personal grief. It is a wonder if you have even had a chance to spend time alone with your own thoughts and feelings. Do not neglect your own needs amidst your concern to help all the others around you. Having said that, it is impossible for you NOT to respond to the anguish and grief of your loved ones. So it is not surprising that you are being pulled apart by this. It all happened only a few months back and it takes times, lots of it, for our minds and hearts to be able to stabilise sufficiently to even start to put things back together again - and the world just doesn't stop in the meantime to allow us this time!

The death of a close family member is a great trauma. It is an irreversible fact that we are helpless to do anything about, and it hurts terribly. The greatest need is for you all to help one another through this and avoid any dissentions. That is not easy when everyone is under acute stress and sorrow and still full of unreleased emotions such as anger, frustration, guilt, etc that can so easily exploded upon one another unintentionally.

You wrote:
Doreen said:
my youngest daughter is doing ok but my eldest who is 14 is in major depression and so am I. I can't cope with the grief and stuff. it hurts soooo bad and I miss him so much. my 14 yr old won't go to the doctor or anything to get help. she spends most of her time asleep which isn't good.
Although depression after only a few months since the event is only to be expected, I think you are right not to ignore it. It is not uncommon for people to refuse to go to a doctor, sometimes because they refuse to admit they have a problem, sometimes because they are scared to face their depression. Amongst teenagers, this reluctance is often due to a refusal to talk about it. In such cases, alternatives methods include expressing grieve and sorrow through painting and drawing. You could try giving your daughter some paper and paints or pencils and encouraging her to draw her feelings. She can do this either in complete confidentiality or showing and talking about them afterwards. You may even find there are some groups in your area that are designed for kids in grief.

Your concern with Christmas is entirely understandable. It is traditionally a family occasion filled with love and warmth and happiness. It will therefore bring your family loss very much to the surface. But I don't think you should avoid Christmas. I think, though, you should try to change it so that the emphasis is on peacefulness and togetherness. For example, there are many christmans carols some of which are happy and joyful and others that are more peaceful and melancholy. You can select in advance those that might be most appropriate. You can go to church carol service or midnight mass, etc. You can decorate the tree with softer and fewer decorations and light more candles instead of bright lights. You may also feel that dad's photos should be prominent and, with the right atmosphere, you will all be able to talk about things together. Even if children do not talk themselves, they need to see the adults in their lives handling the situation with love and hope.

Christmas is a big event that is all around us outside even if we do not celebrate it indoors. There are many ways to celebrate Christmas and maybe this year it would be appropriate to put more emphasis on the Christian meaning of Christmas (maybe you do anyway, I don't mean to suggest you don't, I am only trying to throw some ideas out here, please do not be offended in any way!)

You also said:
my aunt(mom's sister) is putting pressure on me to act like nothing has happened

I don't think it is very wise to act like nothing has happened when something clearly HAS happened. And when people are filled with grief, sorrow and other unresolved emotions, it is impossible to act as though nothing has happened. But, on the other hand, it is not perhaps the best solution to try and stop the world entirely. What we need to do is adapt and adjust to an entirely new set of circumstances.

Upvote 0
A

Anti Existance

Imagine you died instead of your Father , would you love to see your loved ones to grieve , be in miserable pain, and sadness for many years to come? Of course NOT? You wanted them to live and be happy, so instead of dying for your grandfather ,start living for him, because this is the same he would want for you.*hugs* Doreen , you have to be strong for your dad let me tell you a secret, your dad knows everything and lives on in your heart. He is in heaven, and wants you to know he is ok, and knows exactly what you wanted to say to him when he died, do not concern for this for God knows you better then your own mother and has informed your dad, God does this because he loves you. Therefore feel of no more concern and continue your journey in life, even tho its hard we are here for you :hug:

Upvote 0

heatherq17

Hello
Nov 13, 2005
✟10,536.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I think and you and your daughter should try a support group. theres prob some in your area.That way you can talk with people who have been where you are. I always feel better after going. or maybe therapy! ((Hugs))

Upvote 0

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It hasn't been long at all since your father passed away. I imagine this Christmas will be a hard one for you and your girls and your mom, of course.
I can understand how your family might not want your father's passing to put Christmas on hold, and I am sure you know he wouldn't want you too either - but I think your family should be careful in regards to your loss, to be more compassionate and understanding and I hope you can be easier on yourself if you don't feel up to the 'party', after all you ARE grieving.

This is one of many firsts you will experience without him and you should take this Christmas at your pace; reminisce with your girls about him - share the memories you all have of him and together you will be able to pull through this season.

Take care Doreen and enjoy the Christmases of your past and this one sneaking up sooner than you know it! :hug:

Heather

Upvote 0

Messenger30

Mar 30, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
✟15,304.00
Faith
Christian
I am really sorry about you losing your dad. I lost my uncle in 2001 and the pain that my grandma and his son had made it unbearable to me. He was 52 and it happened from a Ford Explorer roll over due to the tire exploding. I had been a Christian but never or seldom read my Bible outside of Church but I began just opening it looking for answers and then praying for answers praying for peace and before I knew it I had Jesus as my friend. Nobody could understand my greif because my uncle lived far away from me and I had only seen him a dozen times in my life but Jesus understood. I got comfort on the forums and with Jesus and I pretended to be fine long before I was. Jesus will be your best comfort and support. You and your daughter need to share your pain together. But life must go on that is what your father would want. His life is continuing up in heaven. There is a time for everything the time of sorrow needs to slowly be replaced with a time of happy rememberance.

I feel for you. You & your family are in my prayers. Everyone deals with greif a little different.

Love and God Bless you,
Messenger

Reactions: SparkyMaddie
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.