bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I need to apologize for my uncharitable responses on the racism thread. I have a difficult time with that subject, I must confess. It hits very close to home because of its affect on my family and myself. My father after the flesh came from a virulently racist family, and I've had to deal with that my entire life.

My Dad was the city manager of a small west Texas town when the Civil Rights Act was enacted in '65. I can remember seperate water fountains and bathrooms for whites and "coloreds". He took on the task of opening all city facilities to all races, including the municipal swimming pool. He did that, and we got alot threatening phone calls in the middle of the night. For a 6 year old it was pretty scary. Some stated that it was easy for him to do, since we were members of the country club, and didn't have to mix with the other races. So, of course, my Dad had us at the city pool every weekend that summer. The next year he took a job with the federal gov't, and we never went back except to visit. He took us overseas for most of the rest of my childhood, and continued for nearly 30 years after I was grown.

At his funeral 2 years ago (which was attended by only one of his six brothers) a black man, a PHD in political science and a career foreign service officer, came up to me with tears in his eyes and told me that he had come all the way from Uganda to attend, and said to me that in a world of people who like to look like they cared, my father was the real deal. He had his faults, but he did have the courage to reject the idiocy of his family's racism, and made a difference in the world.

So it makes me a little tense when apostates proclaim their racist garbage, and I have a difficult time exercising restraint. For that I apologize.

Reactions: Erinwilcox

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
bradfordl said:
I need to apologize for my uncharitable responses on the racism thread. I have a difficult time with that subject, I must confess. It hits very close to home because of its affect on my family and myself. My father after the flesh came from a virulently racist family, and I've had to deal with that my entire life.

My Dad was the city manager of a small west Texas town when the Civil Rights Act was enacted in '65. I can remember seperate water fountains and bathrooms for whites and "coloreds". He took on the task of opening all city facilities to all races, including the municipal swimming pool. He did that, and we got alot threatening phone calls in the middle of the night. For a 6 year old it was pretty scary. Some stated that it was easy for him to do, since we were members of the country club, and didn't have to mix with the other races. So, of course, my Dad had us at the city pool every weekend that summer. The next year he took a job with the federal gov't, and we never went back except to visit. He took us overseas for most of the rest of my childhood, and continued for nearly 30 years after I was grown.

At his funeral 2 years ago (which was attended by only one of his six brothers) a black man, a PHD in political science and a career foreign service officer, came up to me with tears in his eyes and told me that he had come all the way from Uganda to attend, and said to me that in a world of people who like to look like they cared, my father was the real deal. He had his faults, but he did have the courage to reject the idiocy of his family's racism, and made a difference in the world.

So it makes me a little tense when apostates proclaim their racist garbage, and I have a difficult time exercising restraint. For that I apologize.

I understand why you feel the need to apologize, brother. But I cannot fault you for being angry at injustice. I've read some of Frederick Douglass' autobiography, specifically the portion in which he discusses his former racist slavemasters. Not so surprisingly, his criticisms of them come directly from St. Matthew 23:1-36, which contains the seven woes against the Jews. I used to wonder why our blessed and loving Lord would curse his fellow human being so viciously, until I read the curses in this context. Now I see why the cup of his anger overflowed upon these people. The Lord is angry at injustice. The emotion of anger was clearly created for a purpose. We misuse anger when we become angry at those who have wronged us, but surely we use this emotion properly when it is directed against sin.

Wouldn't something be wrong with us if we were not angered by sin? The cross of Christ shows us how much God hates sin, because it was there that he poured out his wrath against the sinful human race. If sin is this bad, then we ought to become angry at it. The Scriptures teach us in very clear terms that racism is sin. As such, it is right for us to be angry at it.

At the same time, it is of the utmost importance that we not abhor the sinner himself. On the contrary, I think we should feel immense sorrow for people who sin (reminding ourselves that each of us is the chiefest of sinners), because they are leading themselves to destruction. People who practice racism are condemning themselves to hell, and because of this I earnestly desire their repentence. I understand your difficult position, since I too have relatives who believe in racism. It is with sorrow rather than hatred that I hear them condemn blacks as inferior people, and at the same time I feel only hatred for the beliefs that they espouse. Since the racism thread opened, I've been thinking more actively about this vile doctrine that permeates society. It's right for us to be angry at the sin and sorrowful for those who practice it. Did Jeremiah not compose the Lamentations because of his own peoples' sin?

Upvote 0

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
bradfordl said:

Hello Bradfordl,

Thanks for your post. I can understand your anger and frustrations about this matter. Much of what was said in the previous thread was valid and needed to be said, but it was spinning out of control and gettig more personal and less issue driven.

I was glad to see that it was shutdown (at least temporarily) because of the direction that it was headed.

I appreciate your apology and understand your annoyance with those who still believe in forced segregation (especially in the Church of Jesus Christ). I confess my own digust with those who would segregate the People of God because of skin color and other external reasons. I pray the Lord our God will yet bring them to repentence.

In Christ,
Kenith

Ps. arunma, well said.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What's sad is that the thread started off with some really good posts - thoughtful, insightful and Scriptural.

One of the things that folks who hold contrary opinions (such as one of the posters in the thread) are very good at is causing others to respond in anger. Then they can act innocent and say - I haven't done anything but look at the terrible things being said about me. Some folks have that behavior down to an art form.

Anyhow - Bradfordl, I appreciate your apology (although I never would have asked for one). Racism remains a powerful subject that we all get emotional about.

edie

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I often lose my cool
when debating with a fool
feeling that strong pull
to charge like a bull.

But usually it accomplishes more
to calmly approach the chore
to expose plain the evil core
so their anger comes to fore.

Whoever screams first has lost
so is believed by a great host
thus it is seems a high cost
to flame a fool to burnt toast

But sometimes it just has to be done
even it it son't rhyme.

JR

Reactions: Erinwilcox
Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
cubanito said:
I often lose my cool
when debating with a fool
feeling that strong pull
to charge like a bull.

But usually it accomplishes more
to calmly approach the chore
to expose plain the evil core
so their anger comes to fore.

Whoever screams first has lost
so is believed by a great host
thus it is seems a high cost
to flame a fool to burnt toast

But sometimes it just has to be done
even it it son't rhyme.

JR

Lol! For someone who claims to not have learned English as a first language, you've come up with quite a crafty poem. I, on the other hand, couldn't write something like this even though it would have given me an A on my final paper in Greek mythology.

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
arunma said:
Lol! For someone who claims to not have learned English as a first language, you've come up with quite a crafty poem. I, on the other hand, couldn't write something like this even though it would have given me an A on my final paper in Greek mythology.
Don't fret Aumna, you are after all a Democrat. Can't expect a donkey to have the brains of an elephant.

JR

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
cubanito said:
Don't fret Aumna, you are after all a Democrat. Can't expect a donkey to have the brains of an elephant.

JR

You're right. But we'll compensate by taxing the Republicans out of their minds.

...don't everyone laugh all at once.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
arunma said:
You're right. But we'll compensate by taxing the Republicans out of their minds.

...don't everyone laugh all at once.

LOL - and you're right, it does make me nuts!!!

Only one of the reasons I say over and over - think Libertarian!!! (seriously, they can be made a viable party if people really look at what they have to say and then start voting for their candidates)

edie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
cubanito said:
Ok now, what is the libertarian mascot? Please, make one up, I NEED To KNOW!!

JR

In real life its the Statue of Liberty.

If you do a google you'll find that some folks want to change the mascot (because other parties use Lady Liberty also). Suggestions include a penguin, buffalo and porcupine. The porcupine actually looks pretty good.

http://reformthelp.org/party/mascot/porcupine.php

edie

Upvote 0