My Alcohol Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeCarra

Oooooh, I get it! Root Beer isn't Beer but it's still has the word beer in it!

Kind of like the town of Beer Sheba in Israel is, by this thinking, a kind of beer.

And if AV were to say he's drinking Beer right now we COULD assume it is root beer or even the town of Beersheba!

So maybe Jesus turned water into CHEERWINE!

dj-cheerwine-articleInline-v2.jpg

That clever Jesus guy!

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

Fun bit of background about the words "Root Beer" from our friends at Wikipedia:

Wiki said:
The custom of brewing root beer goes back to the 18th century.[citation needed] Farm owners used to brew their own (then) light-alcoholic beverage for family get-togethers and other social events.[citation needed] During the 19th century, some pharmacists tried to sell their version of root beer as a miracle drug.[citation needed]

In 1876, pharmacist Charles Hires first introduced a commercial version at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition.[citation needed] Hires was a teetotaler who wanted to call the beverage "root tea". However, his desire to market the product to Pennsylvania coal miners caused him to call his product "root beer" instead.[4] By 1893, root beer was sold as a bottled soft drink to the public. Especially during Prohibition, non-alcoholic versions proved to be commercially successful.

In 1960, a key ingredient (the sassafras root) came to be known as a carcinogen and its use was banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.[5] Following this ban, companies began experimentation with artificial flavors and preparation techniques to remove the unhealthy effects of root beer while preserving its flavor.

So it sounds like "Root Beer" initially was an alcoholic drink but the first "root beer" that was non-alcoholic was to be called "Root Tea" but in order to sell it to coal miners the name "root beer" was chosen!

Cool!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oooooh, I get it! Root Beer isn't Beer but it's still has the word beer in it!
Ya! How 'bout that!?
Kind of like the town of Beer Sheba in Israel is, by this thinking, a kind of beer.
Just don't lay that "Jesus turned water into [your kind of] wine" and expect me to accept it.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've drank beer before ... many times

Yet I don't know what beer tastes like.

Can you make sense of this?

Maybe you forgot.

Maybe you drank something truly dismal that you called "beer" at the time, then realised your error and accept you don't know what proper beer tastes like.

Maybe you drank it ice cold - deliberately so because if you're drinking the dismal beers they have to be served ice cold so you don't taste them.

Maybe you had a hefty blow to the head from a heavy implement and don't even know who you are any more.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just don't lay that "Jesus turned water into [your kind of] wine" and expect me to accept it.

So why doesn't the King Jim bibles say grape juice instead, of, you know, wine?

BTW, what is "strong drink" when used in the KJV?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MikeCarra

Ya! How 'bout that!?

Of COURSE! The secretaries who translated the KJV were TOTALLY thinking of Cheerwine (centuries before it was invented). And there's NO WAY that Jesus would make wine-wine, you know the kind that is UNIVERSALLY thought to be alcoholic, the product of fermentation which produces alcohol.

No! That would be ABSURD!

It probably actually tasted like fermented fowled bat with subtle hints of rabbit cud (from the Leviticus Cud-Chewing Rabbits).

Gosh this new "literalism" is SO freeing!

You know I bet Jesus wasn't really the "savior", but rather a type of savior....NOT the kind YOU are thinking of.

A non-savior type of savior. The way, the "truth" and the light, but not the actual way, not the actual truth, not the actual light....maybe more like a "low calorie" kind of light!

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

But Root Beer isn't Beer. It's Root Beer.

So are we to say that wine isn't wine then because Root Beer isn`t Beer?

I'm fully confused as to the point of this.

How can you be confused? Isn't it OBVIOUS?????

AV1611VET doesn't like to think about Jesus making alcohol, so Jesus DIDN'T MAKE ALCOHOL-CONTAINING WINE!

That's it! That's all it's ever been.

AV1611VET really likes the King James Version so it is necessary to explain that while the secretaries who, inspired by God himself, translated the Bible accurately, they used words with non-standard meanings. And the english word ("Wine") could literally mean ANYTHING! It could be koolaid or ice tea or Nutella!

As long as it didn't fit into any "FORBIDDEN" category as understood by AV1611VET.

(The sad thing is, there are like 400 years worth of millions and millions and millions of Christians who inhabited the earth BEFORE AV showed up and they were likely ALL horribly mislead. I feel sorry for them. I hope they got ENOUGH right to make it into Heaven. At least we all have the insight of the one true arbiter of truth.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But Root Beer isn't Beer. It's Root Beer.

So are we to say that wine isn't wine then because Root Beer isn`t Beer?

I'm fully confused as to the point of this.
"Biblical wine" is grape juice if unfermented; "scientists' wine" if fermented.

For everything God has, Satan has a cheap imitation.

That's what we call "diabolical mimicry."

Jesus' favorite drink appears to be grape juice.

Satan has his favorite drink ... fermented grape juice.

Upvote 0
S

SimplyNothing

AV. I know you're a Christian. You're getting very close to blasphemy my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV. I know you're a Christian. You're getting very close to blasphemy my friend.
Oh, oh! :eek:

By calling it "scientists' wine"?

Am I treading on someone's profession by giving them credit for inventing the fermentation process?

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, oh! :eek:

Am I treading on someone's profession by giving them credit for inventing the fermentation process?

The origin of wine and beer has nothing to do with scientists. Your comment is intended for nothing other than to demean science and scientists.

Upvote 0
S

SimplyNothing

Oh, oh!

No. Because you're interpreting the Bible to suit your own standards, creating your own rules, and then equating some of God's word to the work of Satan.

That, is dreadfully close to blasphemy.

Once you realize that Jesus drank fermented grape juice. You will realize why your comment has a blasphemous aura about it. Even if he hadn't. Acting like you know and then evoking satan for any viewpoint that goes against your own is not necessarily good form.

I'm not saying your belief that Jesus drank grape juice is blasphemous or inaccurate. Just be careful how you try to put things into context. That's all man. :/

Upvote 0
M

MikeCarra

So Biblical Wine is not wine. (It is unfermented).

Did anyone think to, while translating God's HOLY WORD, try to DIFFERENTIATE these things? How many generations partook of satan's grape juice because the guys in 1611 couldn't find another word?

Well, not really. Diabolical mimicry was developed by the early church fathers to explain why pagan religions pre-dating Christianity bore so many resemblances to Christianity.

But yeah, sure, why not?

Probably this:

0007349000000_500X500.jpg

Mazel tov!

Thunderbird.jpg

Jesus wakes up the next day refreshed and ready to go to work. Satan not so much.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Wine is made from other fruits as well. Question AV, what happens to wine when the fermentation process goes too far. Clue: CH[sub]3[/sub]COOH

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.