Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Root beer was originally called "root tea" and renamed "beer" in 1876. It has only ever been a non-alcoholic drink.

That is incorrect. Anytime you use yeast and do not heat the finished product to cook of the alcohol it will result in an alcoholic beverage even if it is a low ABV.

One traditional recipe for making root beer involves cooking a syrup from molasses and water, letting the syrup cool for three hours, and combining it with the root ingredients (including sassafras root, sassafras bark, and wintergreen). Yeast was added, and the beverage was left to ferment for 12 hours, after which it was strained and rebottled for secondary fermentation. This recipe usually resulted in a beverage of 2% alcohol or less, although the recipe could be modified to produce a more alcoholic beverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer#Traditional_method

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That is incorrect. Anytime you use yeast and do not heat the finished product to cook of the alcohol it will result in an alcoholic beverage even if it is a low ABV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_beer#Traditional_method
Yeah, like I said "Re-writing history doesn't count". There is a difference, which I'm sure you'll understand, between making an alcoholic beer from roots and calling a non-alcoholic concoction "beer".

From that very same wiki article:
Pharmacist Charles Elmer Hires was the first to successfully market a commercial brand of root beer. Hires developed his root tea made from sassafras in 1875, debuted a commercial version of root beer at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876, and began selling his extract. Hires was a teetotaler who wanted to call the beverage "root tea". However, his desire to market the product to Pennsylvania coal miners caused him to call his product "root beer", instead.

As I said, the drink now sold as "root beer" has never been anything other than a non-alcoholic product.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, like I said "Re-writing history doesn't count". There is a difference, which I'm sure you'll understand, between making an alcoholic beer from roots and calling a non-alcoholic concoction "beer".

I would agree. yes. There is a difference.

From that very same wiki article:
Pharmacist Charles Elmer Hires was the first to successfully market a commercial brand of root beer. Hires developed his root tea made from sassafras in 1875, debuted a commercial version of root beer at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876, and began selling his extract. Hires was a teetotaler who wanted to call the beverage "root tea". However, his desire to market the product to Pennsylvania coal miners caused him to call his product "root beer", instead.

As I said, the drink now sold as "root beer" has never been anything other than a non-alcoholic product.

Which would be incorrect. Once again from the same article.

Root beer was sold in confectionery stores since the 1840s, and written recipes for root beer have been documented since the 1860s. It possibly was combined with soda as early as the 1850s, and root beer sold in stores was most often sold as a syrup rather than a ready-made beverage.[4] The tradition of brewing root beer is thought to have evolved out of other small beer traditions that produced fermented drinks with very low alcohol content that were thought to be healthier to drink than possibly tainted local sources of drinking water, and enhanced by the medicinal and nutritional qualities of the ingredients used. Beyond its aromatic qualities, the medicinal benefits of sassafras were well known to both Native Americans and Europeans, and druggists began marketing root beer for its medicinal qualities

While Charles Elmer may have popularized a non alcoholic form that was not how the drink originated and was first marketed.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or calling a gliding squirrel a flying squirrel?

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
While Charles Elmer may have popularized a non alcoholic form that was not how the drink originated and was first marketed.
Actually that is exactly how the current product originated and was marketed. Earlier brewed products known as "root beer" are irrelevant. We are talking about the product developed by Charles Elmer Hires and currently sold as "root beer". That product was not developed as a beer, has never been alcoholic and was originally named "root tea". Hence my statement (which you agreed with, but then ignored) that there is a difference between a beer brewed from roots and a non-alcoholic product which was renamed as "beer" for purely commercial purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Or calling a gliding squirrel a flying squirrel?
As with all these word games, that would only be a problem if somebody claimed the squirrel could fly.

I notice you have avoided answering my question about eating duck. Do I need to ask a third time, or shall we just accept that you got it wrong?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Actually that is exactly how the current product originated and was marketed. Earlier brewed products known as "root beer" are irrelevant. We are talking about the product developed by Charles Elmer Hires and currently sold as "root beer". That product was not developed as a beer, has never been alcoholic and was originally named "root tea". Hence my statement (which you agreed with, but then ignored) that there is a difference between a beer brewed from roots and a non-alcoholic product which was renamed as "beer" for purely commercial purposes.

I must have missed where our current soft drink "Root beer" was only based off of "Root tea" and not it's earlier forms. Show me that and I will agree with your statement.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I must have missed where our current soft drink "Root beer" was only based off of "Root tea" and not it's earlier forms. Show me that and I will agree with your statement.
Perhaps the most famous name on the Main Line, at least for those in other parts of America, is Hires -- Charles E. Hires, the father of root beer.......

The story of where root beer came from has become apocryphal. Antiquarian League President Joseph DeLuca has spent years tracking down facts about Hires, because he is the town's local boy made good. According to him "Legend has it he was vacationing on a farm," says DeLuca, "but I think he was just visiting his parents' farm in Roadstown N.J.

Some say he discovered it on his honeymoon in New Jersey where the woman who ran their honeymoon hotel served root tea. Bridgeton (N.J.) Her recipe called for 26 roots, berries and herbs -- similar to a recipe used by Native Americans for years. Others say it came from his youth in New Jersey and was a secret recipe from the Indians. Whatever the truth, it is lost to history now

Hires almost named his new concoction "root tea." It was, after all, made of tea brewed from roots and herbs.
[Emphasis mine] Crush International, Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio, which now produces Hires Root Beer, goes with the honeymoon version. "It was there that he discovered an exciting new drink made of 16 wild roots and berries, including juniper, pipsissewa, spikenard, wintergreen, and sarsaparilla and hops," states the company.

Even that name change has a number of different stories. His obituary in 1937 says that the Rev. Dr. Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University, asked Hires to help him concoct a beverage that might be sold among hard-drinking Pennsylvania miners in the interest of the temperance movement.

Others think it was named that because it was what was called at the time a "small beer." That was beer that was fresh and not yet fermented, so it contained no alcohol. What ever the reason, it was the right one and made Hires a millionaire. According to Mary Wood, the fact that it was named beer made him unpopular with his Philadelphia Quaker and led him to move membership to the Merion Meetinghouse. Fun as that sounds, even she is doubtful. The Quakers weren't against drinking, so why would they make a fuss?," she says.

Originally Hires packaged the mixture in boxes and sold it to housewives and soda fountains. They needed to mix in water, sugar and yeast.

Hires would become the largest manufacturer of the soft drink "root beer" in the world. But at first the drink was slow to catch on. Conwell did persuade Hires to present his product at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition. Four years later, Hires marketed a liquid concentrate and in 1893 launched a bottled, ready-to-drink product. The editor of the Public Ledger, George W. Childs, liked the drink so much, he gave Hires free advertisement in his newspaper. "He sold 115,000 glasses of his product during the first year it was marketed," says DeLuca. "That quickly expanded to 700 million glasses." Hires stayed at the helm of his business, Hires, Wright & Brooks drugstore in Philadelphia until 1925 when his sons took over.

Source

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the most famous name on the Main Line, at least for those in other parts of America, is Hires -- Charles E. Hires, the father of root beer.......

The story of where root beer came from has become apocryphal. Antiquarian League President Joseph DeLuca has spent years tracking down facts about Hires, because he is the town's local boy made good. According to him "Legend has it he was vacationing on a farm," says DeLuca, "but I think he was just visiting his parents' farm in Roadstown N.J.

Some say he discovered it on his honeymoon in New Jersey where the woman who ran their honeymoon hotel served root tea. Bridgeton (N.J.) Her recipe called for 26 roots, berries and herbs -- similar to a recipe used by Native Americans for years. Others say it came from his youth in New Jersey and was a secret recipe from the Indians. Whatever the truth, it is lost to history now

Hires almost named his new concoction "root tea." It was, after all, made of tea brewed from roots and herbs.
[Emphasis mine] Crush International, Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio, which now produces Hires Root Beer, goes with the honeymoon version. "It was there that he discovered an exciting new drink made of 16 wild roots and berries, including juniper, pipsissewa, spikenard, wintergreen, and sarsaparilla and hops," states the company.

Even that name change has a number of different stories. His obituary in 1937 says that the Rev. Dr. Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University, asked Hires to help him concoct a beverage that might be sold among hard-drinking Pennsylvania miners in the interest of the temperance movement.

Others think it was named that because it was what was called at the time a "small beer." That was beer that was fresh and not yet fermented, so it contained no alcohol. What ever the reason, it was the right one and made Hires a millionaire. According to Mary Wood, the fact that it was named beer made him unpopular with his Philadelphia Quaker and led him to move membership to the Merion Meetinghouse. Fun as that sounds, even she is doubtful. The Quakers weren't against drinking, so why would they make a fuss?," she says.

Originally Hires packaged the mixture in boxes and sold it to housewives and soda fountains. They needed to mix in water, sugar and yeast.

Hires would become the largest manufacturer of the soft drink "root beer" in the world. But at first the drink was slow to catch on. Conwell did persuade Hires to present his product at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition. Four years later, Hires marketed a liquid concentrate and in 1893 launched a bottled, ready-to-drink product. The editor of the Public Ledger, George W. Childs, liked the drink so much, he gave Hires free advertisement in his newspaper. "He sold 115,000 glasses of his product during the first year it was marketed," says DeLuca. "That quickly expanded to 700 million glasses." Hires stayed at the helm of his business, Hires, Wright & Brooks drugstore in Philadelphia until 1925 when his sons took over.

Source

Huh, fair enough. Current root beer is based on non alcoholic root tea.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.