Must Haves

Rhylla

Apr 12, 2006
✟7,905.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok, it's been A loooooong time since my babies were babies (they're almost 14 and 11 now *sigh*) but the one thing i LOVED was my Wilkinet baby carrier!

http://www.nctms.co.uk/prodshow.asp?id=547&cat=0&scat=0

we didnt have a car when my son was a baby, so he went EVERYwhere in a carrier. The straps take a little bit of getting used to, but i was an expert within days.

the carrier can be used with the baby facing in when they're small and facing out when they're a little bigger. It has like a little cushioned part that the baby actually sits on, rather than the designs where they just dangle.

because i used it when he was tiny, i got used to it, could cope with the gradual increase in weight and so could keep going til he was too big for it, he was 9 months old when we finally stopped using it!

my daughter was in it less as we had a car and she seemed to live in a car seat. was a shame really.
various friends have borrowed it since than and its still holding up well. Its easily washable too.

-Rhylla-

Upvote 0

HeKnowsMyName

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Jawja!
✟69,974.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bouncy seat! DD just loved hers. She'd go to sleep in it ALOT! I hope this little bugger does the same.

Pacifier. There is a new brand that I'm going to try with this baby. It's called Keep it Klean and when it falls to the ground, it snaps closed.

I had a side positioner with DD that she slept with for a long time. She was in the bed with us so that gave me peace of mind that DH wouldn't roll over on her without being aware. They make a bigger one now that's like a little bed itself and fits in the bed with you. I plan on getting that one in a few months so in case I don't use it, I can send it back.

Reactions: SweetBella
Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There were a lot of things we found we didn't need...David never even flinched that I used cold wipes on him through the winter months, for example. We only used our playpen a few times total for a nap when we were away from home. (glad we got a cheap one!)

One thing I found useful but no one buys you for your baby shower are toys... its not long at all and they need things to play with. As far as lesser known items.... buy them as you realize you need them and not in advance or you'll have a bunch of stuff you don't use...

You asked about a stroller, this is similar to one we have (except ours is navy and white pattern):

stroller.jpg

I got it for 60 dollars after careful shopping, and the infant car seat came with it as you see sitting on the ground. The car seat fits into the stroller with your infant facing you, so you don't have to take a sleeping newborn out of his carseat to put him in the stroller. I could not have lived without the infant carseat, and I wasn't even planning on buying one except it came with the stroller. David was tiny in the winter and so it was so nice to be able to put him in his car seat while still in the house, and take him in and out of the store without waking him (as a young one they sleep a lot).

Another item I recommend is a sling... there are tons of designs, for example here is a hotsling (www.hotslings.com):
hotsling2.jpg
hotsling1.jpg

There are tons of other kinds, http://www.goo-ga.com/
http://www.mayawrap.com/p_mwpouch.php
http://kangarookorner.com/
http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/
http://meitaibaby.com/gallery.html
Yeah okay so there are thousands of different kinds, good luck with that. :D

Anyway slings are nice for when baby wants you to hold them but you need your arms available to shop, load the dishwasher, do the laundry, etc.

You must have a baby bag. We chose a black one so we could be vogue. :D

You must also have some clothes, lol, but not too many in 0-3 months because most babies grow out of them in about a month.

Yes and you need diapers, but don't get too many in small, Newborn, or size 1 because most babies grow out of those in 2 weeks. Yes, not kidding. I told my friends that and they didn't believe me and they recently had to give away 100 dollars worth of diapers.

Okay well its been fun... heehee

Upvote 0

Princessperky

May 20, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟1,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Must haves:

a place to sleep-wherever that maybe, pee catchers of some sort..diaper free or otherwise, clothing of some sort, food for mom and/or baby....

sling, I don't use a stroller, seen to many people holding the kid push ing the stroller!

Backpack it works for a diaper bag, a bookbag (library), a catch all when out with a 4 year old down to infant-make it a good backpack!

keys, the chewable rubber kind, perfect toy for watching in infancy, and chewing when older, and role play just a bit down the road.

mirror just cause I like watching kids watch themselves, watch me from the reflection, discover the world..way cool.

building blocks duplos are my fav, but so long as a kid has a chance to build, (they make great dump and drool toys when younger)

patience not that I have any but I sure could use some!

a great semse of humor laughung beats yelling anyday (but sometimes you need to save it so as not to encoouurage xertain things)

an open mind No ECers arn't crazy, niether is wait till they ask, nor is feed your 3 month old or wait till 9 months...

common sense there are some lines..(use a carseat, breast is best, but use formula before you starve a kid, ect..)

love now that I have!

forgiveness for self and child.

Upvote 0

Mama_Piadosa

Apr 29, 2006
✟15,478.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Princessperky said:
Must haves:

a place to sleep-wherever that maybe, pee catchers of some sort..diaper free or otherwise, clothing of some sort, food for mom and/or baby....

sling, I don't use a stroller, seen to many people holding the kid push ing the stroller!

Backpack it works for a diaper bag, a bookbag (library), a catch all when out with a 4 year old down to infant-make it a good backpack!

keys, the chewable rubber kind, perfect toy for watching in infancy, and chewing when older, and role play just a bit down the road.

mirror just cause I like watching kids watch themselves, watch me from the reflection, discover the world..way cool.

building blocks duplos are my fav, but so long as a kid has a chance to build, (they make great dump and drool toys when younger)

patience not that I have any but I sure could use some!

a great semse of humor laughung beats yelling anyday (but sometimes you need to save it so as not to encoouurage xertain things)

an open mind No ECers arn't crazy, niether is wait till they ask, nor is feed your 3 month old or wait till 9 months...

common sense there are some lines..(use a carseat, breast is best, but use formula before you starve a kid, ect..)

love now that I have!

forgiveness for self and child.

I LOVE THIS LIST!!!!

I'd have to say that with my fourth child the list of must haves was for sure way shorter then with the others. Not because I had saved anything, but because I found I used so little of it. So here are my must haves if we ever have another child

Carseat (if you got a car- you need a carseat) I like Britax Marathon- rear and forward facing.

Nightlight
Rocking Chair
Diapers (for us cloth- since you asked for brands- Motherese AIO or Fuzzi Bunz) and wipes (cloth too) - no wipe warmer- we just wet the wipes with warm water before changing.
Diaper pail
Breast pump- (I like a medela hospital grade pump- or Advent Isis)
Bottles (advent was the brand for 2 of my kiddos- two didn't like them- so whatever kind you go with don't buiy too many- every kid is different!)
Cd player with soothing sounds cd
Carriers- for little little ones we used a ring sling- which is now used for a quick hip carry. An ERGO is the brand I have now fallen in love with- check them out they are wonderful and do not cause the baby back problems snugli's and bjorns cause.

Things that for us were a waste of money- crib, changing table, bouncy seat, exersaucer, swing, stroller. All bought and never used- sitting in may garage right now taking up space- baby boy is 18 months and used each of those things maybe once or twice.

Dana

Upvote 0

Princessperky

May 20, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟1,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mama_Piadosa said:
I
I'd have to say that with my fourth child the list of must haves was for sure way shorter then with the others. Not because I had saved anything, but because I found I used so little of it. So here are my must haves if we ever have another child
Things that for us were a waste of money- crib, changing table, bouncy seat, exersaucer, swing, stroller. All bought and never used- sitting in may garage right now taking up space- baby boy is 18 months and used each of those things maybe once or twice.

Dana

yeah ditto it gets shorter, and ditto your list of wastes, though we did use a 'bath bouncer, to hold them in the tub for the first oh 3 months maybe? (course you can't ccount the first since the cord isn't supposed to get wet so it was sponge baths, a two month contraption I guess!)

Glad you liked my list :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A little food grinder that comes to the table so baby can eat real food - much healthier and cheaper that store bought. (Three kids and never bought a single jar of baby food.)

Chest carrier.

Baby backpack. (never owned a stroller - or a playpen)

British nappies if you can get them - terry cloth diapers that last and last and last!

Diaper liners. Helpful with either cloth or paper. The poo can usually be captured in the liner and flushed away!

Upvote 0

giddybiscuit

Feb 5, 2006
Texas
✟8,006.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The only thing I really needed in the early days, other than obvious stuff like clothes and diapers and a car seat, was a ring sling. No crib, no bassinet, no stroller, no toys, no swing, no pacifier, no bottle, nothing else was really used all that much until she got older. Now we don't use the sling so much as she's so heavy, but another carrier (mei tai) is indispensible.

We still don't use a stroller or bottles or pacis and she still sleeps in our bed so all we've really added to the list of must-haves are toys. Monitors are helpful, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Mrs. A2J~

According to your faith will it be done to you
Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Leanna said:
Although the question was "must haves" I'm pretty sure what was really meant is "what modern conveniences do you actually use" :cool:
:D I actually found a lot of the "modern conveniences" an inconvenience :D Maybe I just didn't find things that were convenient to me :D We had quite a bit of stuff that was bought that we just didn't use after one or two tries like strollers, cribs, breast pump (admitedly it wasn't a good one), baby bath, etc. I really think it's a YMMV thing when it comes to baby items. Who knows, maybe I'll find a "must have" this time around as I do plan on trying out a few new products :D

Upvote 0

~Mrs. A2J~

Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ProfessorMom said:
I don't understand why anyone would think a stroller to be an inconvenience. I guess it depends on where you live.

I think a pram/stroller is a necessity. The exercise is good for mom and the air is good for baby.
We live out in the middle of nowhere so there are no smooth surfaces to push a stroller on and when we went out we usually carried our daughter. If we lived in a town then a stroller would probably be more useful but it wasn't for us. YMMV.

Upvote 0

~Mrs. A2J~

Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ProfessorMom said:
That's what I figured, and in your case it makes perfect sense not to have a stroller. :thumbsup:

But what does YMMV mean?
YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary. Basically meaning that different things work for different people :) .

Upvote 0

Princessperky

May 20, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟1,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in the burbs and I still pass on the stroller, IF you push a stroller you burn about 1 calorie more per hour than just walking, if you carry on the other hand...

I prefer if I am going ot get all geared up and go out to burn as many as possible (without breaking a sweat)

Upvote 0

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I loved my bouncy seat. With my first wanted to be rocked and my arms would just give out, but put her in the seat and it would go for quite sometime. I would lay on a blanket on the floor next to her sometimes trying to get an hour of sleep. Also a good swing, perferably the ones that you don't bonk their little heads on eveytime you take them out. And a comfortable rocker or even better rocking recliner. YES that is a the best thing ever!!

Upvote 0