Must every student date in college?

Why is there too much pressure in college to find a boyfriend or girlfriend before one graduates?

• Pressure from the world

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • It reveals how our current society has had issues of Misplaced priorities

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it is an American Status thing. I don't know. I live in Finland and here women and men are more equal than in many other countries or so I have heard. I never felt pressured by the world to find a mate in college or our similar schools. It is more other people that tries to match You up in case You have those kind of people around You. The best way is to say that I am quite satisfied with myself and if I want a mate I can find Him or then I will ask for Your help. Our women and men are quite free to make their own choices without having society to tell them when they need to get a partner. When I was young Someone said no sexual relations before age 15 but I do not know if that still is the case. Marriage is usually at lowest age 18. Still it surprices me that if a woman puts her facebook picture up no matter her age, she usually gets more unknown male friends than she gets unknown female friends. She only has to look normal. Not even heavily made up either and the people are great people. Maybe we women are a bit afraid of our own sort. Or maybe we do not have time to hang on the net so much.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know plenty of singles in church who get pressured.
The church I attended in college FORBADE dating and having a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I mean it's nice and all to have some high standards but to what end and use
If everyone did good deeds and the world were clean and monogamous
If that were the point of the Bible or religion

In other words if acting self-righteous and cleaning the outside of the pitchers and cups weren't rather still an abomination near harlotry itself

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can only vote yes or yes on that...:/ I vote no. I feel not That society pressure everyone to have a boyfriend or girlfriend in college or similar schools. That is if we talk internationally. That includes all other countries in the world. If we only talk USA then I should not vote.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The church I attended in college FORBADE dating and having a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.
Interesting, did they forbid inappropriate content too? I'm so sick of churches where most young men watch inappropriate content and their wives just think it is normal.

Upvote 0

CitizenD

Jul 19, 2017
San Francisco
✟100,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is there too much pressure in college to find a boyfriend or girlfriend before one graduates? Any ideas?

It's far easier to make connections in college than after. Be it friends or relationships.

The social expectation of dating is, in my opinion, practical in this regard. The college age adult is expected to be forming an independent life, learning about living on their own and dealing with the consequences ( learning) of their choices in their social lives. It is the perfect age to start developing serious relationships.

That said, I still don't see (in the US) the degree of pressure you're referring to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SamanthaMathis

An Amateur Consummate Traveler
Jun 26, 2015
Northeast
✟27,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is an expectation to find a mate in college, its pervasive in the US, but many other countries have it far worse. I don't believe in pushing the issue, each have their own way of doing things, some opportunities arise, or fail, at the drop of a hat.

Upvote 0

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, only being a tech school freshman, I've little experience with this kind of pressure. What I can say is that having friends or acquaintances who are very much looking for that kind of attention makes all the difference in how prevalent it seems. I have a friend that was invested in a bad relationship prior to college/uni, and it ended up leading her down a darker road of hooking up with random guys on the internet because she craved the attention and intimacy the old relationship left lingering in the air. It was at first simply a way to "get over him," but it became a habit of hers. She has mentioned in the past that she wants to stop because she knows it's unsafe, but I'm not sure how successful that's been. I do hope she's learned how to handle it, because she's very lucky to not have been harmed worse. Although I've always known her to be a bit of a "you never know unless you try" kind of a person, so maybe it has more to do with that in the long run. I guess my point is, its severity can be different for any one person.

Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You know we always here people find there future husbands and wives in college so I think that may add to the pressure of trying to find a mate. As for myself I really wasn't looking but it just happened. I met this wonderful guy who we just started talking and eventually went for coffee and then just over a year ago we officially started dating. It wasn't like we were searching we just enjoyed each others company and decided why not since we did enjoy each others company spend more time together. So we did just that.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Why is there too much pressure in college to find a boyfriend or girlfriend before one graduates? Any ideas?

Someone who is in college generally has much more social interaction on an ongoing basis with other people in their age range, who have have similar interests, and who might also be looking for a girl or boyfriend. If it is not interfering with studies, then it is an ideal time to find someone to build a relationship with, and may even be the best opportunity that we will have. After college when we in theory find a job and a place to live, then it can become much more difficult to have an active social live and meet new people our age with similar interests. I never felt any pressure to find a girlfriend, but the amount of pressure someone feels varies depending upon them and the people they know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

That is not what I saw when I was in college. I still occasionally go out drinking with some of the students and it also is not what I see today.

College is an environment where there are lots of members of the other sex and where one gets thrown into chances to meet people of your own age a lot. From classes (which change every quarter or semester), dorms (which change every year), social clubs, athletic teams or just who tends to eat at the same places or times. It is not surprising that many do find someone they really like of the opposite sex. It is somewhat surprising to me that anyone feels pressure to date these days. Perhaps for the women in my parents day, but not now.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was never pressured to date in college. My priority was mostly on school, and I intentionally didn't look to date my last two years of university because I was paying for my tuition and not going to let anything distract me from being successful and learning in college. But I never lived on a campus so perhaps that makes a difference. Who does the pressuring? College peers? Parents? Self? If you know that maybe you can figure out why.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was never pressured to date in college. My priority was mostly on school, and I intentionally didn't look to date my last two years of university because I was paying for my tuition and not going to let anything distract me from being successful and learning in college. But I never lived on a campus so perhaps that makes a difference. Who does the pressuring? College peers? Parents? Self? If you know that maybe you can figure out why.

Same thing I noticed. In college no one I knew was trying to date. In high school people were constantly dating but once I got to college no one wanted to date cause they wanted to be free to party and hook up. I was the same as you though too worried about school.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Same thing I noticed. In college no one I knew was trying to date. In high school people were constantly dating but once I got to college no one wanted to date cause they wanted to be free to party and hook up. I was the same as you though too worried about school.
I was pretty concerned about the price of school and finances. I spent my free time working a part time job, and I knew that it would be unwise to have the distractions of dating. However if someone asked me out, maybe I would have said okay if I liked them. I just wasn't really looking to date and no worries about it. All of my roommates were dating or engaged when I lived in an apartment off campus, but I never felt any pressure to go out and date.

Upvote 0

SamanthaMathis

An Amateur Consummate Traveler
Jun 26, 2015
Northeast
✟27,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was more concerned with fitness and finding a job that wasn't entry level. There were many instances of being asked out, but I could never commit to meeting them and was too busy (and possibly stressed) enough to meet at a specific time, but I never could say no. I believe in giving anyone a chance.

Upvote 0