Must every student date in college?

Why is there too much pressure in college to find a boyfriend or girlfriend before one graduates?

• Pressure from the world

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • It reveals how our current society has had issues of Misplaced priorities

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was more concerned with fitness and finding a job that wasn't entry level. There were many instances of being asked out, but I could never commit to meeting them and was too busy (and possibly stressed) enough to meet at a specific time, but I never could say no. I believe in giving anyone a chance.
We do need to seek the will of God especially in life changing decisions. My wife and I were both of us single for a lot of years before we feel God finally brought us together.

Upvote 0

Ikerepc

Jun 5, 2017
Zagreb
✟17,256.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't see any preasure... Well most probably because I'm studying to become a Chatolic priest one day :D

But anyway, you should not rush with any relationships or anything. A lot of peoples are saying that if you don't find your soulmate at college, you will never. Because you don't have so much free time and social interactions, but that's not true.
You can always and anytime find your soulmate.
And when you do, you will know that. You don't need to force anything.

Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see any preasure... Well most probably because I'm studying to become a Chatolic priest one day :D

But anyway, you should not rush with any relationships or anything. A lot of peoples are saying that if you don't find your soulmate at college, you will never. Because you don't have so much free time and social interactions, but that's not true.
You can always and anytime find your soulmate.
And when you do, you will know that. You don't need to force anything.

Again, not sure who is saying anything about finding a soulmate in college lol. I think that's ridiculous because people don't have time for dating in college for the most part and the partiers aren't looking to settle down. Very few people get married in college imo and if they do they end up divorced quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hm, shows how out of touch I am. Not only did not know there was such a standard... Couldn't someone have told me before I finished university? Well, guess that is it for me then :D

In a slightly more serious note, I think that the word 'relationship' has lost value in our society. People jumping in and out of others' beds, people looking for a cheap thrill or twist legal marriage to their advantage. I used to look for someone, but no one could ever live up to my unreasonable standards back then. After finding my way to God, I simply stopped looking, knowing that I am not responsible enough for a proper godly relationship and that I simply do not have time to commit. It is just common sense, in my eyes. But then again, I never cared for societal standards to begin with...

Not sure whether that is always the case, but being a Christian does limit the pool though, at least for me. I would prefer not to enter a relationship with a non-Christian woman, as the most likely outcome will be tension. Coming from a secular background, I have no Christian family members, no Christian friends that live even removely close to me (I think the closest one lives in Colorado Springs and another one in Texas... :D).

But, God willing, circumstances will change. Right now, I am not in a hurry. What I am saying is:
980x.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: deusartemlux
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is an expectation to find a mate in college, its pervasive in the US, but many other countries have it far worse. I don't believe in pushing the issue, each have their own way of doing things, some opportunities arise, or fail, at the drop of a hat.
Well, it's good to remember the saying: "Marry in haste; repent at leisure". Especially if one holds that marriage is supposed to be for life.

Upvote 0

Maervince

Feb 17, 2018
Binan City
✟10,169.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well you got to ask yourself if it's the wisest thing to do. Having a girlfriend is like playing with fire without getting your clothes burned, and I'm getting this analogy from Proverbs 6:27. You could be successful in abstaining from sexual immorality until you get married (your clothes are not burned), but since you're a college student, it will probably take long before you get the spiritual maturity and financial resources necessary for marriage; thereby increasing the chances that you'll burn with passion like what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 7:9.

If you are not itching to date and just pressured by your peers, then do not date and remember that Paul actually praises single people for they are more concerned about the Lord's affairs (1 Corinthians 7:32).

But if you really want to date because you want to be intimate with somebody, I'm sorry but I'm going to still say no. We're in the same boat for I'm a single guy who also desires to share my life with somebody. What I recommend you doing, and it's what I do, is to improve your relationship with God. The more you know Him, the less and less a relationship becomes an idol.

God bless!

Upvote 0

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hm, shows how out of touch I am. Not only did not know there was such a standard... Couldn't someone have told me before I finished university? Well, guess that is it for me then :D

In a slightly more serious note, I think that the word 'relationship' has lost value in our society. People jumping in and out of others' beds, people looking for a cheap thrill or twist legal marriage to their advantage. I used to look for someone, but no one could ever live up to my unreasonable standards back then. After finding my way to God, I simply stopped looking, knowing that I am not responsible enough for a proper godly relationship and that I simply do not have time to commit. It is just common sense, in my eyes. But then again, I never cared for societal standards to begin with...

Not sure whether that is always the case, but being a Christian does limit the pool though, at least for me. I would prefer not to enter a relationship with a non-Christian woman, as the most likely outcome will be tension. Coming from a secular background, I have no Christian family members, no Christian friends that live even removely close to me (I think the closest one lives in Colorado Springs and another one in Texas... :D).

But, God willing, circumstances will change. Right now, I am not in a hurry. What I am saying is:
980x.jpg

I completely understand. I came from an irreligious background as well. I somewhat fear for my future relationships, but God'll work it out. :D

Also, apparently we shouldn't be yoked unequally. Definitely a source of some tension on its own if you ask me.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Cgnet

Feb 28, 2018
Miami
✟531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why is there too much pressure in college to find a boyfriend or girlfriend before one graduates? Any ideas?
It's about fertility and preventing premarital sex. If you wait too long, the facts are that you won't be able to have children. Especially if you're a woman. Secular culture lies to women. "Sleep around, have abortions, go to drunk parties..." The best time to find a mate is in college. You have the largest pool of people you will ever have to choose from. After 25, fertility starts to drop.
There are exceptions:
- Some people meant to be single. Paul was single...it makes it easier to honor God
- Some people are late bloomers

Upvote 0